Cheap CDI

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I hate to contradict others,but In my opinion, and looking at the diagram it looks like EXT goes to the power source supplied by the magneto for lights and stuff, in this case use a diode and capacitor in your white wire and feed it there. PC looks like it is going to a coil of some sort on the magneto, my guess that it is the trigger coil, so the blue wire would go here. E is ground, IGN is the ignition coil, and SW is the kill switch.
If there was a diagram for the internals of the magneto, we could be more certain of the proper wiring.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The colors are off, but this is the CDI wiring when you change these colors over.

And Rohmell - I don't mind at all, when you contradict when it comes to electronics, you're 99% of the time right and justified. (the 1% I just assume you've been wrong at some point in time at least once.)

Honda CDI wiring - MopedWiki

An NU50 needs a 12VDC power source to provide power for the CDI black box (capacitive discharge ignition)

CDI Black Box wiring: SW = Blue/Yell , EXT = Black/Red, PC = Black/Yell, E = Green, Ign = Black/White

Black/White - goes to the ignition side of on/off key switch and to the stop switch (when off, grounds out the ignition)

Green - ground

Blue/Yell - ignition trigger/pick-up (in alt)

Black/Red - 12VDC power source

Black/Yell - coil primary side

Also, you need a 12VDC battery for the lighting/aux power systems. The white lead from the Alt coil goes to the SCR (silicon control rectifier) to convert AC Alt power output to DC Battery input (charging).

The battery alone will not support the horn, turn signals, lights at idle/low rpm w/o discharging the batt during nighttime operation. The lighting coil tap in the same Alt coil (yellow lead) is to provide auxiliary power for these functions.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am doing some research now, from the eBay ad, it seems that this CDI is for a Minerelli, or a JOG, so I am looking for info about those.

So far I have found:
PC= Pickup Coil, so I am sure that the blue wire form the engine goes here.

Just want to make sure about the EXT connection and whether its input is AC (as shown by the diagram) or DC,( a hidden diode somewhere)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Use a 12v battery to see if the CDI works, then you can work on getting the white wire to power it later.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well, Rohmell I believe you're right. I emailed a few companies about the CDI, and recieved these replies:

Hello Joe,

If you are using this for motorized bicycle it will not work with out a external power source 12V, the engine only produce 6v. This will work on Franco Morini Engines.

Hope this help

Thank you
JNMotors Bikes Tech

and

Dear skrew37,

We don't have a wiring diagram for it, sorry.
Whenever we use it, we just plug it in and that's it.
- kandkscooters

I'll use your suggestions for wiring it and what type of 12v battery should I use?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Although it might work, there have been reports by other members that the construction of that magneto is shoddy (replace the odd with itt).
Use a small 12 v battery to power your CDI initially, I think even a 6 v battery world work, but you will have less output, just used a higher output ignition coil to compensate.

Not for nothing, but this all seems like a lot of work and headaches.
Have you looked at building your own CDI from scratch?

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really would like to once the Jaguar version has been correctly hacked. The CDI I have now seems to be dying. Would that explain why it takes longer than normal to turn over? It kind of gives some "sputter sparks" if that makes any sense before it fully kicks in and takes off. You're right, this is getting increasingly more expensive (and filled with headaches and dead-ends) in my search for a "cheap CDI". The main problem with building my own, is I don't have the time to track down all (100%) of the materials. I do have the time to sit down at night to construct on though. Eventually, I would like to see a master list complete with bill of materials and wiring diagram/schematics. That would then end my frivolous spending and get me on the right track for success. (And, not to mention, back on the road) BTW, how are the ones you're testing working out after a few miles on them?

Last edited: