Chain lubrication

GoldenMotor.com

BrainPain

Jan 26, 2021
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to lubricate a motorized bicycle's chains. What I do now is grease them with universal grease lithum/molly. Is chain wax as good or better? There's some kits for bicycles with cleaner and brushes are they any good?

Thank you

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Chain lube with wax if you ride in wet conditions a lot. In dryer more dusty conditions wax or grease will only attract dust and debris. Which can lead to a damaged chain and components. What I've found that works really good is Quaker State synthetic oil half and half mixed with lighter fluid. Or you can simply buy bicycle chain lube in most department stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: curtisfox

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Chain lube with was if you ride in wet conditions a lot. In dryer more dusty conditions wax or grease will only attract dust and debris. Which can lead to a damaged chain and components. What I've found that works really good is Quaker State synthetic oil half and half mixed with lighter fluid. Or you can simply buy bicycle chain lube in most department stores.
Ever try 50/50 mix of ATF and STP...................Curt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Ever try 50/50 mix of ATF and STP...................Curt
The important thing is you have to thin the oil, otherwise, motor oil and ATF will also attract dust and debris.

With the 50/50 syn oil and lighter fluid. The oil acts as a lubricant, while the lighter fluid acts as a cleaning agent.

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Will keep this in mind if needing another 410. So far my KMC 410 has held up really good for the engine drive. I use a Shimano HG71 for the bicycle gears. Strong chains are a must with shift kits.
Wiperman 410 1E8 wide single speed is the one that I really like also... For 3/16 BMX
Kmc 410H NP was my favorite but there not available anymore...

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Clean the chain really well. Melt the grease or wax in a pan and dip the chain in it. Let the chain sit in it for a while then take it out, drain and wipe off all the excess.