chain damage

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Took a great ride this weekend after building some trust in the new magneto, then after a quick stop at the lake my chain broke. Didn't make a lot of noise, I was going slow, and stopped quickly. It did some damage to my cover and engine.

no pic but the cover has a chunk taken out in the same area that intrudes on the magneto area. Hopefully that won't be a problem.
12mile pedal home. 'DOH

I'm going to order a new chain. Best I can tell is #41 is the favorite, so I'll give that a try. Maybe the damage makes it fit better already.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I wish you well. My KMC 415 to my shift kit has always held up well. I also run a SRAM 890 bicycle chain. Due to the lateral stress put on the SRAM from shifting gears it has a life of about 2 years. I always carry extra master links for both my chains and a chain breaker.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I wish you well. My KMC 415 to my shift kit has always held up well. I also run a SRAM 890 bicycle chain. Due to the lateral stress put on the SRAM from shifting gears it has a life of about 2 years. I always carry extra master links for both my chains and a chain breaker.
thanks for the info, I have not ordered it yet. I'm having a hard time deciding between a 415 and #41. My tire is pretty wide, and if I ever go to a 36T sprocket, I'll loose that little offset and the #41 might be too wide at that point. The 415 is narrower right?
Really, the china chain lasted longer than I thought it would, but I pushed it farther than I should have. It was getting sloppy and I kept using it anyways, which was not the smartest thing to do.

I will put this crappy chain back together and carry it everywhere as a backup from now on.
I will say though, I have not ridden this bike with no engine chain in a long time. It was a nice ride, just not the kind I was planning on.

Anyone run a o-ringed chain?

Last edited: