Chain alignment

GoldenMotor.com

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
I know this topic has been discussed quite often, but I was wondering if there is a consensus as to ideal chain alignment. I am finishing up my build and my sprockets are off 1/8". Due to the nature of the mounting of the motor and sprocket there is no getting it closer. The chain seems to run OK when I pull it over by hand. Initially it was making a slight popping/catching sound and I traced it to the drive sprocket. After beveling and smoothing the square edges of the sprocket it seems to run fairly smooth. I am using a KMC
415 from Pirate. My question is does this seem acceptable? Sorry, but being new to this I don't really know if most people are running the chains slightly misaligned and by how much.
Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
1/8" shouldn't cause you any problems. If you're using a kit supplied chain tensioner you might want to sight down the chain path and make sure the tensioner wheel is aligned square with the chain. Most of them will require a slight twist in the bracket to get the wheel where its supposed to be. Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
I/m running the stock bearing wheel on a bracket welded to the stay. It was the only way to keep the chain off the stay as I'm offset to clear 24x3 tires. I tend to over-think
things. I'm just goint to run it and go from there.