carb problems????

GoldenMotor.com

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
i just changed my throttle cable and now the engine is running crappy.. sometimes when i start it the rpms shoot up real high and then it dies. when i release the throttle its not ideling its still going. what can i do to fix this. somethings not right in the carb i thing.. not sure though.. it was running fine then i snapped the throttle cable got a new one and now its not running right.. HELPP

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Not lined up right and or you overtightened the the cable retaining cover cap which is known to make the throttle needle ''barrel'' assembly slide stick. Then perhaps you over compensated by adjusting your idle.

Take the air filter off look directly into the back of the carb. Start working your throttle and observe.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sounds like the cable might be too tight.

easiest way to check is to take off your air filter and look into the carb (with the bike off.)

back out the idle screw and make sure the slide drops down. if it doesn't, it's either binding or too tight (or there's not enough springy return action on your throttle tube.)

if it does drop down, turn the idle screw in till it just starts to raise the slide. then twist the throttle, making sure the slide goes up and disappears, and then comes back down to where it was.

like Goatherder said, it might be binding because of the cap.

if not, play with the barrel adjuster on the carb and/or the throttle to get the cable adjusted looser.

if you took the carb off at anytime while installing the new cable or whatever, it could be an airleak.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Did you give the plunger a little half turn so that it would line up with the notch in the barrel of the carb?

Does the plunger drop all the way down into the barrel of the carb or does it sit flush with the top ?

When we replaced Yodar's broken cable we had the same issue
It was all or nothing at the throttle

After we reinstalled the plunger all was good again