Carb help

GoldenMotor.com

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
Ok my bike syarted running like crap. So i figured it needed tunning it would run good when turned gas off. Running like to rich pulled carb off i adjusted the float some . Then i got to think the filter may be clogged. So i put back together with new filter and it ran alot beter i mean almost perfect. But now gas is flowing out the over flow did i go wrong way with the float adjustment ?thought i was making it shut gas off little sooner thanks for and help.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
For lower fuel bowl level you want to bend the float tab down, this will allow the float to close the needle sooner giving you less fuel level.

Bending the tabs up will give you more fuel bowl level because the float will shut the fuel off later then sooner.

Very,very small adjustments are needed and sometimes you think you did not even move it but it does.

Sometimes I use a ruler to help me with the adjustments.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
up & down here can be confusing as this should be done with the carb upside down

the normal level is where the main jet just peeks out thru the middle of the float - richer is with more showing, leaner is with float hiding main jet

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word of caution here to those unfamiliar with the float adjustment. As was mentioned above only very slight bending is required to have an effect on float/fuel level. Also you must be careful when bending the tangs and assure that after bending that it still swivels freely on the pin that retains it. Over aggresive bending can distort the swiveling action causing the float valve to stick open or closed. Also both arms of the tang must be bent precisely the same or the float can push upward against the needle unevenly which can also cause it to bind.

I've seen a couple of carbs that were replaced because the owners didn't properly bend the tang and were faced with flooding or fuel starvation problems as a result.

Easy does it!

I've also discovered that on some newer versions of the NT carburetor that the main jet tube is larger in diameter and the hole in the center of the float larger to accomodate it. Trying to use a float from an older carb in a newer version will result in the float hanging up on the jet tube and not controlling fuel level.

Tom

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
I am sure I bent it down . Holding the carb upside down with bowl off bent it down. So doing this should cause it to shut sooner but wow it's dumping gas . Unless like mentioned its binding idk maybe ill take back apart and try and bend it back where it was. I've done this a bunch of times on all the quads I've built this one is just kicking my rear.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
nope, with it upside down, bending it down will make it richer until it just plain floods all the time - go back to original with main jet about level with float

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
Ok guys thanks. I was just sure i went the correct way ill go back to where it was i think it was running bad cause dirty filter anyway thanks and let you know how it turns out.