Cannonballs Back Into It With A BT 80

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Seems I'm building(or trying too) a fully developed small M/C that's really an MB. Was looking at moped parts for a proper exhaust, a stock type. Found this.

Funny thing, I never really noticed the exhaust on the BT comes out on the right where as a CG is on the left. Left is better as there are clearance issues with the bikes sprocket/chain on the right. So it seems with a bit of rearranging I can make a cross under head pipe and have the muffler on the left.

Love the vintage look of this muffler!

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOOL Beans, That is neat, leave it to you to find the good old kool stuff. Moped i presume ?....................Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the exhaust hung.

Maybe not as elegant as a curved pipe but not bad. If I hadn't given away my conduit benders when I moved I might have bent up a head pipe. As it was I had all this stuff left over from a plumbing job. Getting the cross under pipe to clear the pedal crank was close.
Will solder the joints with 56% silver solder I ordered from the local hardware. It melts in the mid 1100s/1200F range compared to 450 or so for common solder. You actually have to use Map gas, propane wont do it I'm told. Plenty good for this exhaust. Heck pistons get iffy over 1250F. Its temporarily riveted together for testing.

So this engine really loves this pipe. Improved its power noticeably overall, with a good boost in the lower range. Stock pipe really was restrictive. Like the fit/looks and sounds better too. Have to make a better hanger, Adel clamp is temporary. Some hi heat silver will blend it all in .

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the rear rack installed. Instead of using the Vespa rack I found one from I believe(seller wasn't sure) a Honda Trail 90. Its a little bit narrower. Its mounted very substantially using pieces salvaged from a cruiser rear rack. Will look much better in black! Start battery is now in the leather tool bag.

Also finished the exhaust. All joints soldered with 56% silver($$), except where it joins the header and the muffler. Has no issues melting in about 20mi riding. This opens up using copper in exhaust builds. This pipe is an excellent runner. Finally found a piece of 1" flex exhaust tube(kinda hard to find by the foot). Would like to use it but not sure if the miss match on the original tubings size will affect running. 3/4 copper pipe is basically the exact size of the CG size pipe. Will leave alone for now.

Also got the hi/lo/light/horn switch. Not wired. Will wire in after paint. Cant decide on a color.

Attachments

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Except for the orange, the bike looks planned(the colors). I always imagine how neat to able to hop on and Push da button! I like the looks.

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
The electric start is incredibly nice, definitely worth the money in my opinion. Starts up in cold weather (my coldest with it was -8 or so) like it was just running. Also, as CB has said, great for tuning and troubleshooting.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Chaz!
Yeah saw that exhaust and just had to have it. Looks really vintage.
The biggest thing was the improvement in overall running.
I searched and found out this came from a Solo moped. Have never seen one
but if Solo made it, it must have been well engineered.

Feb 2, 2017
California
Got the rear rack installed. Instead of using the Vespa rack I found one from I believe(seller wasn't sure) a Honda Trail 90. Its a little bit narrower. Its mounted very substantially using pieces salvaged from a cruiser rear rack. Will look much better in black! Start battery is now in the leather tool bag.

Also finished the exhaust. All joints soldered with 56% silver($$), except where it joins the header and the muffler. Has no issues melting in about 20mi riding. This opens up using copper in exhaust builds. This pipe is an excellent runner. Finally found a piece of 1" flex exhaust tube(kinda hard to find by the foot). Would like to use it but not sure if the miss match on the original tubings size will affect running. 3/4 copper pipe is basically the exact size of the CG size pipe. Will leave alone for now.

Also got the hi/lo/light/horn switch. Not wired. Will wire in after paint. Cant decide on a color.
May I suggest 'Hot Pink'? DO IT!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
So not much going on with the BT. Just cranks and runs fine day after day. Had had no repairs or issues aside from the recoil and modding the carb to my specs. I'm estimating about 250mi at this point. Lighting is working fine, the coils are quite powerful.

No issues with the electric start. I cant see how this starter would ever wear out it starts so quickly.
My system is so bare bones having only the HD manual push to start switch in the circuit. This eliminates the possibility of issues with the original handle bar start switch and solenoid. I think KC had start issues.

So far so great!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here ya go, you asked.

Put together an actual pedal bike made from left overs. Have been riding it a good bit. Its nice to have a light weight 2 wheeler. This place is so nice to ride in and there is so much to see that I ventured a bit too far the other day. Didn't make it home before dark.

Got me to thinking how nice it would have been to have a small motor to speed things up.
Been looking for the smallest 4stroke I can find, probably from a weedeater to make an FD. I have a 49cc 4stroke but its just too big for what I have in mind. Would like it on the front wheel where it can be raised or lowered to start. Simply have a throttle lever for control. Love to keep everything under 10lbs.

The BT bike is great to run errands on over town, makes quick pleasant work of a trip versus the car. What I'm after is a bike that's more bike than MB, that you spend more time pedaling and use the motor only on occasion.

Heck I have already built one in the past, would have been perfect here in the flats. Just need to perfect it a bit.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This i have to see, and watch, i have a small generator that has about 33 cc 4 stroke, Yamaha i think. Kicking it around for years, maybe you will get me motivated................Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Curt been lookin at little motors all afternoon. Havent found exactly what I'm wanting yet.
Even thought about cutting a CG down to the engine only. It already runs backwards which is perfect for a FD.