california laws?

GoldenMotor.com

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
By “ride” I assume you mean on the street and legally. By “these” I assume you mean a gas powered motorized bicycle, with less than 2 horsepower and 30 mph on level ground. Then you also need:

Brake light
Horn
Mirror
Moped plate $19 one time fee
DOT approved helmet
M1 or M2 license

And for night riding you also need a headlight and taillight.

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
What I have been tiring to find out is ....

I live in AZ and would like to ride my MB into Cal. Can I?

because the bike dosent have a plate they ,LE , dont know I am from AZ!

Cant apply for Ca reg because I dont have a mailing address in CA.

what do do????

bmc_az

girlgofast

Jul 20, 2009
California
Recently moved to CA, got all the driver's handbooks, here's what i found, anyone/everyone feel free to comment/correct/or add to: A motor-driven cycle is defined as a motorcycle with a 149cc or less engine size. A motorized bicycle is defined as a two-wheeled device capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with 1. fully operative pedals for human propulsion, and 2. a motor producing less than 2 gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission. If you operate a motorized bicycle that meets the above, you, 1. must be at least 16 yrs old, 2. must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet, and 3. are EXEMPT from motor vehicle financial responsibility, drivers license, and moped plate requirements. You may ride in the bicycle lane at a reasonable speed so long as you are mindful of other cyclists using the lane.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
girlgofast - You’re mixing up two different classifications. I looked at the most recent handbook and that is not what it says. This is what it says:

If you operate a motorized bicycle
which meets the definition of VC §406, you:
•Must be 16 years of age or older.
•Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
•Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (VC §12804.9).

406b does not require a plate but applies to 20mph electric bicycles only. 406a applies to gas powered motorized bicycles that go 30mph. Then you need a special plate and DOT approved motorcycle helmet. The confusion may come from the fact that they are both referred to as “motorized bicycles”. But a motorized bicycle that goes 30mph is also a moped.

girlgofast

Jul 20, 2009
California
Hmmm, 406a v. 406b. You're right Scothmo. So are they expecting people to register, plate, and insure all bicycles with gas powered motors (even if they don't reach speeds higher than 30mph) but not regular bicycles. Does that mean you have to get a horn, lights, reflectors, M1 license, etc?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I ride every day in cali...
If you have a M1 or M2 license, wear a helmet, (I don't wear one) & have bicycle lights at night; & if you see any police, slow down, smile & wave to them!
If you do these things, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS with them!
Now go ride & have fun!! (^)

Last edited:

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
girlgofast - the answer is yes. And if you do those things, you’re not likely to get stopped. And if you do, you’re covered. You won't have to play ignorance.

The plate that you get is not really the same as a vehicle "registration". You don't need to have a title, they do not have to see the bike, and you only pay $19 once rather than every year. It is good for life.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Don't people just want to make problems?

Aren't all the vague and varying laws on all the books of different states either because:

1. Our elected officials never can really agree on much, and

2. More often than not, hope to discourage our bikes and keep transportaion expensive and profitable for their business constituents and lobbyists.

So then it's always left to the police and their knowledge or interpretations of laws that no one seems to know exactly otherwise (and what are they gonna do? get on the bike and clock it's speed to make sure it ca\n't go more than 20 or 30 or whatever.?

Isn't it time for a NATIONAL set of motorbike friendly laws, as well as a national vehicle registration or at least uniform policy that honors our DL's and registrations issued in another state for as long as they are valid otherwise?

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
i agree with what blahbada said, because just being polite wil keep most police off of your back for sure. in my city, the police says that they consider our china girls as gopeds. i have spoken with many officers, and have built two MB's for the police department, one which they auctioned off to charity about 6 months ago, and i had it custom painted by a lowrider shop down in the next city over, and one which i built for an officer which i usually see cruising by my house on his way to work and back. i'm sorry if i went too far off topic, but i just wanted to point out, if you are hospitable and polite, you will stay out of problems with the police, and you never know, you might end up building a couple for them .rd.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
does anyone know what you need to ride these in california?
Ya, You need your bike,motor, and yourself!Just ride it and have fun! You can send in short form to Sacramento DMV, plus one life time fee of $19.00 and you get registration/License plate for your MB. Even though I have those items, I've now been riding for about 3 months alot, in several cities in L.A./Glendale area and have not been stopped at all. The Heat just looks at us with eighther Glee or confusion. I got off that other forum cuz all those Goons kept pursuing/pushing legalities of MBs, Just ride the damb thing and be safe!usflg {Angry Samoan}

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hi everyone!
Yesterday got stopped by one of Vero beach's boy's in blue.
Got educated that motor driven bicycles are considerd motorcycle and are to be driven on the street and not sidewalks.
No special liscence or helmet are required.suggested though. lights and reflectors for night riding.
Did not get a ticket...just friendly warning.
Oh speed limits as posted..
Is that in FLA? or CALI??