Calendar for Racing Events

GoldenMotor.com

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
maybe I should have used the word 'some' for less confusion

You may be the only gas bike at the April 6th race using moped tires.
I can only think of one other gasbike that used moped tires.
Did I miss any? Who are the many you speak of? :)

Thud started the trend with his ebike using Pirelli tires that fit 20"
bicycle rims.
Not many gas bikers want to build bikes that ride on little 20" wheels.

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
The Dupor 196cc to GC160cc conversion's not going so well. Might have to wait until the second race of the season. Concentrate on just the 49cc and 66cc bikes ...?

My main reason for downsizing is the 49cc bike is actually more fun to ride - power to weight and top speed are pretty satisfying. The big bike is just not that fun. Like riding a very poorly / under engineered motorcycle. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Good talking to you about the direction of the races the other day.

I just talked to Roland and Timm of BigBoyCycles and they are bringing
some very cool bikes to the April 6th race is all that I can say right now. :)

Timm is racing his 50 cc Chonda and it may give you a run for your money?
I am going to race a 49 cc 4 stroke bike too and The Aleman is promising that he will also be in the class with his 49 cc shifter bike.
Looks like we have a good basis for the class so don't give up now! :)

Shuttle buddy guys will be in the same class on their very fast 25 cc friction
drives so it will be some fun heated elbow to elbow racing........

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
maybe I should have used the word 'some' for less confusion
I was going to use moped tires this year but I have a few 24" hookworms on my shelf waiting to be mounted. If anything, I need to work on my brakes or change my lines around the track.

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
I'm jealous, the 24" Hookworms are no longer available - anywhere. I'll be testing alternate tires on one bike. Scotto was running inexpensive tires last race, but haven't heard how they worked out.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm jealous, the 24" Hookworms are no longer available - anywhere. I'll be testing alternate tires on one bike. Scotto was running inexpensive tires last race, but haven't heard how they worked out.
I have to say Brian, they're probably the next best thing to the Hookworms as far as 24" tires for racing that I've tested. They're made by the same company but in a different country and the rubber compound is virtually the same, as is the profile of the tire. Very happy with them so far.

brnot

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
That's great news Scott!
I searched for the 24" tires you're using and didn't come up with anything...?

I have to say Brian, they're probably the next best thing to the Hookworms as far as 24" tires for racing that I've tested. They're made by the same company but in a different country and the rubber compound is virtually the same, as is the profile of the tire. Very happy with them so far.

brnot

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That's great news Scott!
I searched for the 24" tires you're using and didn't come up with anything...?
Holy retreads Batman, I did a search and came up with the same........nada?

It looks to me that the 24" Cyclops went the way of the Hookworms.......extinction. What next? 20"?

I think they still make 16" Hookworms, what's up with that?.duh.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I did find potential 24 x 2.3" racing tires on Amazon.com and UniversalCycles.com.
Yes, the Kenda Kiniption.......Baird really likes them and they are the best choice for 24" that I'm seeing. We thought they were discontinued ........wonder if they're NOS?

Ya better get some while you can.......if Baird see's this, he'll snap them all up and corner the market on them. :D

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Oh, and speaking of calendar for racing events, my other favorite 24" race tire is a secret.

I'll give you a hint......they were on the tandem that I raced at Willow Springs. And they are not cheap....nor do they make them in 26". If you can't figure it out, ask The_Aleman.

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Since you're talking tires, I'd like to recommend these 24x3 from Luxlow.com. They also come in 24x2.25. They have a nice round, low profile shape, and grip better than any bicycle tires I've tried. I think you'd be very pleased with them on a race track. I don't know about the smaller 2.25 size, but 24x3 are really only about 2.7" wide on my wide rims.

http://luxlow.com/products-page/ll-...4x-3-city-slick-chopper-cruiser-bicycle-tire/

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
They look like a Hookworm knock-off.......I'll look into those.

dnut

Since you're talking tires, I'd like to recommend these 24x3 from Luxlow.com. They also come in 24x2.25. They have a nice round, low profile shape, and grip better than any bicycle tires I've tried. I think you'd be very pleased with them on a race track. I don't know about the smaller 2.25 size, but 24x3 are really only about 2.7" wide on my wide rims.

http://luxlow.com/products-page/ll-...4x-3-city-slick-chopper-cruiser-bicycle-tire/

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
They look like a Hookworm knock-off.......I'll look into those.

dnut
Except bigger and lower profile.

Don't the Hookworm's have a kind of basketball texture? These are more like slicks, with tread.

Last edited:

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
The ridge on the edge of the tire makes me nervous for a racing tire. Get a little to aggressive in a turn and you run out of tread. I've gone down because of it once and avoided that kind of tire ever since (Kenda Flame). The Luxlow tire looks great for an around town tire.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Simply put, Hookworms are unsurpassed......their surface is like glue to asphalt, you can feel that with your hands. Cyclops are my second fave and that's all I can attest to. Rider preference is what it is......everyone is different.

How's that calendar coming along? Are the dates set in stone yet.......like the Mayan's? laff

dance1

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes.....they don't have Hookworms (in 24") and I seriously doubt they have any Cyclops left, but worth a check. It would be best to call them if possible cuz if ya just order them, you'll think all is well and start getting excited........3-4weeks later you'll be pissed and then realize they don't have any when they finally let you know. Call first.

Then let us know if ya got the last pair or not ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Simply put, Hookworms are unsurpassed......their surface is like glue to asphalt, you can feel that with your hands. Cyclops are my second fave and that's all I can attest to. Rider preference is what it is......everyone is different.

How's that calendar coming along? Are the dates set in stone yet.......like the Mayan's? laff

dance1
One of my riding buddies has 26x2.5 Hookworms on his bike. He loves them too.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
It's looking like the mid class is getting pretty big . What are the cc limits how big how small . Maybe post up the class rules so we can see them .