Building Voodoo Child

GoldenMotor.com

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Today fed ex delivered my new bike (fito Modena sport) from bikebuyers .com. I chose this bike because I like the looks of it. Is it better then a $100. walmart bike? I don't think so. It has the same cheap wheels & hardware as most box store bikes. I paid $170. for this one. If it is better, I don't see it being $70. better. Maybe $20. IDK. It didn't even come with stickers. Not that I would have used them, but still. But all in all I got it for the looks & I'll be up grading as needed.
It came with a damaged front wheel. So I'll have to work with bikebuyers on that to see if anything can be done about it. No biggie, I plan on up grading my wheel any how. Does anyone know if a 24" wheel with a 3" tire would fit the rear of this bike?
This is my 1st motorized build, & I want to do it right. I will be asking you all for tips & help. Please take a ride with me on this build. Up grades coming soon.
IDK how to add pictures to this tread. But you can go to the community link. Under pictures & albums and pull up my album ( Building Voodoo Child ) and see pictures there.

Cost so far: $170.
Build time so far: 1 hour.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
"Voodoo CHILE!". I actually refered to that Hendrix song as "Voodoo CHILLI" the first time I red the album-cover. I guess I'm a little lysdexic.

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Yes Kioshk,
That's where I came up with the name from. I'm a big Stevie Ray Vaughan fan as well as Hendrix. 9 years ago I named my dog " Deja Voodoo Child ". Combining Kenny Wayne Shepherd song " Deja Voodoo " with Hendrix's " Voodoo Chile ". We call him Voodoo for short.

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Nice day today. So I took my new bike out for the first pedal power ride, just to see how it fit and rode. I'm 6' tall, 180 lbs. Height wise it's fine, I didn't even have to raise the seat to high and that's good, because I don't like that look. It feels a bit cramped between the seat and handlebars. A different type of handlebars should fix this. If not, I'll try a lay back seat post. It rides fine. It's geared low, so it's slow to pedal. It's easy to climb gentle inclines, but your not going to out run any hungry dogs on it. lol. It should make it easy to pedal start when I do add the engine. Bikebuyers sent me a new spoke and touch up paint for the wheel that got damaged in shipping. I ordered a springer fork for it. That should get here Monday or Tuesday. I guess now I'll be shopping the net for handle bars. Any thoughts on what type of handlebars work/look good on a cruiser for a tall guy?drn2

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
I can't wait for it to get warm enough to go out to the tool barn & start working on my ride. I guess I can plug an electric heater in, or fire up a kerosene heater. But I really don't want to do that. I'm still trying to recover from the winter heating bills. I got my springer fork & my new handlebars & a front rim brake. Just waiting for warm weather to get them on. I guess it's time I start thinking/shopping for the engine I want. I know I want a 80cc 2 stroke. Any thought on what I should get? And where to get one?

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I can't wait for it to get warm enough to go out to the tool barn & start working on my ride. I guess I can plug an electric heater in, or fire up a kerosene heater. But I really don't want to do that. I'm still trying to recover from the winter heating bills. I got my springer fork & my new handlebars & a front rim brake. Just waiting for warm weather to get them on. I guess it's time I start thinking/shopping for the engine I want. I know I want a 80cc 2 stroke. Any thought on what I should get? And where to get one?
try this guy...

http://thatsdax.com/

nothing but the best reviews and Dwayne will answer any questions you have...good luck

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Voodoo+Child+Slight+Return/3Cyyw5
Seems the better (IMHO) version of "VC" is this one...the "Slight Return". It IS indeed spelled "Child"...my bad!
No Kioshk, you are not wrong about the alternate spelling of "Voodoo Chile". Seems that I to remember seeing it spelled like that when I was younger. So I looked it up on the web. Come to find out, on the album Electric Ladyland, both songs where on it. The US released copies had "Voodoo Chile" spelled this way. And "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" spelled this way.

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Worked on my bike today.
Although it looked to have been well greased from the factory, I decided to play it safe & re grease it. I'm glad I did. While cleaning out the old grease, I found what appeared to be a couple small metal shavings in the front hub. IDK what that would be from. I suppose it's from when they machined the hub. The back coaster wheel hub is missing a bearing from the bearing ring, on the brake side. Looks like I'll be ordering bearings.
I trued a balanced the front wheel. The back wheel will have to wait till I get new bearings.
I put my new handlebars on today. The 5" risers look & feel great.
I wanted to put the springer forks on today, but my headset wouldn't fit. Although it's a 1" headset. Mine have the little tabs on the spacer/washer, where they go in the slot that runs down the steering tube on the rigid forks. The springer does not have that slot. I suppose I can file them tabs off, but I better not. I may decide for some reason or not I need to use the rigid forks again. So I'll just order a new headset when I order my wheel bearings.
When, if ever I get the springer put on, I'll post more pictures.

Cost so far: $215.
Build time so far: 4.5 hours.

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
I finally got my springer forks, front brake and a clamshell sprocket adapter put on today. I tried to post pictures, but I can't get them sized right. But you can see new photos in my album.

cost so far:$395.
Build time so far: 8 hours.

Last edited:

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
IT'S ALIVE!
Sorry it took me so long to build it. But last Summer I got into playing golf and just kind of lost interest in Motorized Bicycles for awhile. I spent all my bicycle building money on golf equipment. But I finally decided to dig it out of the barn and finish it.

Attachments