Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
After the shop is done and you start on the work bench, come and see me. I have a hint that will save you a problem down the road that about 1 in 5 people know about. It's so simple but if you do it wrong you'll regret it later. :)

Color: It should be red with an add for 'Mail Pouch' chewing tobacco on the roof.
Tom

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Tom, thanks. Been thinking about the benches and floor plan. I have that honking 400 lbs mill lathe. Going on the short far wall with out a door, I think.

A friend gave me a 9 foot long oak table top. About 3 foot wide. Thing is awesome. Is my work bench now in the garage and has a good vise bolted to it. Almost hurt to drill holes that beautiful piece of wood.

T-minus 10 days and 17 minutes......

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have helped frame lots of buildings,and done some renovations to others.
my first real build was my "man cave". it took some imagination to attatch it to the old leaning 40 year old garage.i didnt realize wall was so crooked until i stood up the first wall.
it will sure be a sense of accomplishment when its done.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
the size of the shop does not matter as the amount of ""stuff"" will grow to fill it
LOL, ayup IB! Is the exact cause and need for this project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

i have helped frame lots of buildings,and done some renovations to others.
my first real build was my "man cave". it took some imagination to attatch it to the old leaning 40 year old garage.i didnt realize wall was so crooked until i stood up the first wall.
it will sure be a sense of accomplishment when its done.
Man TJ! Bet that took some work and figerin'

Yrs back was sitting in a bar by the river in Kingston NY. There were buildings about 5 or 6 storys. One was leaning over and at the very top, they put a block and one was actually leaning on the other!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan as a teenager I had to work on my car under the pine tree's, I remember once on a fairly cool day while replacing the clutch in my GTO it started raining. From that day I was determined to have some where inside to do repairs. I've told my son many times how I would've enjoyed a shop like I have now back then. I guess I'm spoiled or just old but lying on the ground now stinks.
Yesterday taking a carb off a lawn mower out back in the grass, dropped a tiny screw. After the obligatory cursing, got on bended knee and hand searched. Found it but man that is annoying.

Made me think again about your post and ayup, yer right Greg.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
note to self.

projects;
Flying, floating MB.
pre-rim brake brushes.
velcro fish eye mirrors for car mirrors.
FD bump start MB.
mufflers/rubber blow bag/ silencer/
tea kettle gas tank. ("why do you have a tea kettle for a gas tank?" "Broke the coffee pot"
steam powered electric pusher.
Boat/ trailer pusher.
Hoot kit with chain drive tranny.
Plastic box that fits in a window like an air conditioner for a cat.
Dog collar with a watch sewn in. (Then she can be called a "watch-dawg" or can ask her what time it is)
Mistletoe belt buckle.
Bumper stickers. bumper sticker holder that locks in and can change.
solar powered heating/cooling thing.
MB bike frames.............

http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=3903

Edit;

6/12 volt MB gen

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/inkscape/ss/Cutting-Machine-Tips.htm?nl=1

pusher trailer. Park ranger, soda stand, camper.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca

I built this with T1-11 and used tinted stain in the color of my choice. This is a real good way to paint that does not require primer and won't peal.

This was done over 10 years ago and still looks good.

You will have no problem completing this project.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow and cool! Thanks CC...

Hey, great job. Looks stout.

Really excited about this. Like waiting for my first CG kit, this part is a bummer.

Carol is a little more on board about it and the dog is still sick of hearing about it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Carpentry question. Should the floor joists be pressure treated? The floor joists rest on the mudsills and a support running up lengthwise. Every thing touching the block foundation (stone) is pressure treated.

The plans say nothing. Kinda odd as every pc of wood other wise is adviced to be this or that. The Home ut-oh advised that they don't have to be treated. Just seems counter intuitive to have bare wood even if covered and not exposed. But I guess the framing isn't either.

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=399554&postcount=6

Looking around, found this;

"When building the floor frame, which includes the mudsill, floor joists and perimeter band joists, use 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 pressure-treated lumber. Many prefab sheds use untreated construction-grade lumber for the floor frame, which is fine--if you plan to keep your shed indoors. Even in ideal conditions on the perfect site, a shed floor will be exposed to some moisture, and in time, untreated lumber will rot.

Read more: 5 Secrets to Building a Better Shed: DIY Guy - Popular Mechanics "

Man! I am glad I decided to wing it and not wimp out with a kit. That is not the first bad thing I have heard or read about the kits. Looking at them at the stores is not pretty either.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan, although it was not required here in Ga I used pressure treated lumber on the outer bands of my den I built on. Since I had planned on building decks on one side and the back. I added flashing over it to help keep the water off the wood. Like I've always said I built my house to live in not to sale.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
the idea of treated lumber is a good one.
after parking a vehicle outside for any length of time,it begins to rust,floor especially.
the humidity is fairly high under a low floor.depending on the area,it could be pretty damp.if its got like a foot or better clearance,the airspace would keep things drier.
if it was me ,i would have a good airspace,as skunks wont nest under buildings with too much clearance.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks again Greg and TJ. I am gonna go with pressure treated for the joists. Is prolly over kill as they are not in contact with the foundation but for 3 bucks more a board, seems worth it.

The rim is PT according to the plans. Not that it will be all that visible but I would know it was mismatched and the added warm fuzzy of it being that much more stout.

LOL, I am now competing (in my head) with the kit and kit builder pros so I can later show Carol; "Look how shaby that cut/union/fit/material is. Our shed looks so/is better because..."

Wut, she is still thinking this is gonna end badly. Funny but badly.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh, any one know what a "shoe", "plate" or "shoe plate" is?

When material shopping, Lowe's guy asked what size it would be and just read some thing about one that didn't explain what it was.

Thinking it is a New England builder's slang term? I looked for a good while and can't find it on the interweb.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ah, cool. Thanks Ibe.

Really great part of that is it will make it so much easier to attach by my self.

Article answered another question I had too.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan we call that the top plate, the amount of overhang is determined by how much you want to have to nail the ceiling sheathing to.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
also note:
if you plan on using any screws in the pressure treated wood,the gold colored deck screws rust off in a short period of time.
ceramic coated screws do not.
i dunno why nails dont corrode off.