Building a Ht Motorized Bicycle or Three.

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
With four Bikes, None of which are 'standard', It's hard to know which one to concentrate on and I've been spreading my self between them all, work and family.
The weather here has been wet, but the wet season is coming to an end (I hope) and today was beautiful. So I got a bit done on each of them this weekend, although awaiting a few parts, there is always something to do.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The Softtail,

She was the closest to going, and with nice weather this weekend I was hanging for a ride.
I mounted the twin's and did a little more welding to the exhaust, then took her for a strap.
The 125 Psi works the pull start a little, and I think I'll stick to this head, she doesn't need any more compression, and pulls like a train.
Happy to rev, although I didn't take her above 7000 today with the fresh top end.
The twin carbs are great, with a really nice smooth slow idle, and heaps of mid to top end, It's nice to have her back.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The Goat,

I'm awaiting a Puch head for this bike, as well as another 203mm disc brake for the front.
However I got the rear brake sorted, with a 44t rear sprocket, finished off the exhaust and there isn't to much left to do.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Puch Head.

The Goat's getting a Puch head, which arrived from Treatland today, I ordered two as they were only $30 each.
One had a broken fin, which was actualy a blessing as the combustion chamber and mating surface was riddled with porosity bubbles and when I contacted Treatland, they were very apologetic and said there is another in the post.
The other was in better shape, however the stud holes are slightly undersized, and not quite perfectly radiused to the combustion chamber, But not to hard to fix. It is a rather rough 'repo', but will suit my needs fine for the price.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Suzuki is not standard, has 40 thou over pistons, on a 1324 crank, shaved, decked, extractors and loud exhaust, big carb and cam timing adjusted, she turns into a 'motorcycle' engine when the revs get up!
But a bit of a pig on the road, as it has plenty of top end, but lacks a bit down low, Still a lot of fun!, but thirsty. I was going to build up a 1600 engine I have for her, but can't justify it at the moment, should really tidy her up and sell it, But I have put too much time into her, and she doesn't owe me much money, everyone that see's her wants it, but no one has made a decent offer.
Have lots of spares, as I wrecked a couple of cars to build her, but need to clean out my old shed and put the place on the market. Havn't taken her out for a while now, been trying to get my bikes done, so I can get her in the 'shop' and tidied up.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Haha Mech... I was thinking the exact same thing... The hot setup for those Suzukis here in the states is to get rid of the factory carb and run a 40mm Harley cv carb then turbo charge... Here's one that was done a few years ago in another forum I frequent to show just how simple it's done... http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/363918-Suzuki-Samurai-t25-blow-thru-Keihin

Now back on the subject... Yes Theon that's a Very nice bike collection (I really like that softail frame!) and I'm glad to see you got your Puch heads from treatland. From what I've seen there's not much difference in their combustion chamber design compared to Fred's heads and they definitely got the cooling capacity you'll need.
Let us know how it works after you get it installed

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I had one of those Suzukis back in '95 and loved it other than the poor performance it had stock, it would rip on the trails and offroad, but when I got it on the highway, the 65 mph top speed was pretty annoying when the rest of the traffic was doing 70+. It never left me stuck in the mud tho and it was fun driving it into the lake to jump start my buddie's jet ski. I'd definitely buy another one tho if I find one for sale since I know what to do to make them perform now.
Right now I have a '86 Nissan 720 4x4 to play in the mud with and that thing has some killer torque after I advanced the cam and put a Weber carb on it with a custom exhaust system. I got all the stuff to put a turbo on it but don't have the time to do the upgrades since I need that one as a daily driver for now. Maybe once I get my business started and going I'll be able to pull the engine and set up the oil return so I can install the kit I built up.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Cheers guys,
Yeah I've got a bike for every occasion.
Just need more space to keep them all.
My carpenter mate was suppose to be around last week to help me with a materials list for my new shop, but didn't see him.
Trying hard to get these bikes down to one project, so I can have a big tidy up here, and use this space as a work area for building.

mech_engineer

Mar 3, 2014
Puerto Rico
at least you have the tools and every thing there. i dont have the space or machinery. i depend in so many people to finish my bike. right now the guy that is making the case inducted manifold is two weeks late..

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I got my KTM pipe today, and cut through all the welds with a 1mm cutting disc, so tomorrow I'll realign all the sections and tack them back together and see if I can get a nice fit. with maybe a little more header length and a flange to suit.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Kewl... I just got me a KTM pipe off ebay yesterday so it should be here in the next few days. I think I'll buy the flange and make an adapter so I can connect it with the factory flange. I'm sure some cutting and welding will be needed for the fit I want, but that's not going to be a problem.

Anyway, after enjoying the new found power from my porting job, I was tinkering with it in the garage and noticed there's about 1/8' side to side play in my crank so I went ahead and split the cases so I can do some measurements and make some spacers for the crank to eliminate that side play. I'll also do some nice upgrades while I have it this far apart like stuffing the cases, port matching the transfers, truing and balancing the crank, and upgrading the bottom end bearings. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've been told to leave a reasonable amount of side play in the crank, though 1/8" sounds a lot. Also if your crank slides easily, is good, as the two flywheels must be reasonably true.
I actually bought two pipes of Ebay, the one I have received is a new cheap pipe, the other which should be here in a day or so is a 2nd hand pro pipe.
I bought the cheap pipe as I figured it would be heavier gauge and easier to weld/modify and was not plated and so would paint up better once I was done with it, it also came with a reasonable straight through silencer, and a heat shield for my knee.
I found that the original mounting flange had an awful step in the pipe where it met the hydro formed section, and I'm not sure that I wish to reuse it. The pro pipe maybe better, and appears not to have the 's bend' in the header section, so may fit with less mods, but unlikely as neat a fit as the one I've cut up. I'm likely to make a flange possibly with its own slip joint, as I already have some pieces here that will likely be usable, and I want to get the header to flow as smooth as possible.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
You are unlikely to get dirt bike bars to fit a bicycle, But I'm sure it could be done using a BMX style goose neck and a bit of die grinding.