BTR from a 1955 Columbia Glider

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey Guys,

Starting my second build since building my four stroke road master last winter. I'm going for an Indian "barn find" look with a good patina finish. I'm keeping the frame just how it is but have took some steel wool and motor oil to amok the rust spots pop and gave it a more bright finish.

Now that I have a dependable riding bike, I'm trying to make this one mainly for show and to put around the neighborhood on.

Here's parts I plan on using:

Venice Motor Bikes Monark Springer fork (in the mail right now)
Ghetto Bikes Tank (template sent and James is about to start building)
That's Dax F50 Kit
Worksman Wheels I scored off of ebay for a killer deal
Faux Tool Box made of wood
Faux Crankcase to slide over the mounts (thinking of making this out of wood with high temp heat since I can't weld. Thoughts/advice on this welcome.)

Here's my frame:

Here's the difference after some steel wool and oil on the rust spots (after is on the right side of picture)

I made the template and realized the tank will be a lot thinner than my raodmaster tank.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Any advice on going with a two stroke kit? After some research, it looks like Dax is the best customer service but a little more pricey. Other 50cc or less 2 stroke kits you guys would recommend?

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
hi if you are interested I have this 1962-1964 franco morini motori 3 speed hand shifter like vespa pedal operated and the rear brake by rotating pedals backwards
Although that looks tempting, I doubt it's in price range to ship it from Greece. Looks awesome!

Norm- Not sure about the Raw Motor. I'm guessing it's from RAWMotors.com but I didn't see a 49cc 2 stroke on there. I'll PM you for more information...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have a brand new 48cc round head that has been sitting in my shop since 2008! :)

The little 48 cc round barrels and head look very cool.
Also have a CNC 48cc sand blasted clutch cover to go on it.
Would sell to go on a nice project like this.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Mock up before tank and motor. Hoping to paint tomorrow if time allows.

I love the patina on the frame but fear I won't be able to match it with painting the forks and tank. One thought is to strip everything down (frame also) and start from scratch for consistency.

Other thought is to make the fork and tank look more rusty and patina's. I'm experimenting with some rust colored textured paint (that's real rust on everything you see in pictures) so I could have more rust/ patina so the exact red isn't really noticed? Thoughts are appreciated!

Keith

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Lookin good..I would say if you want a rusty look get some spay stripper and strip it all then spay it with a rusting agent like salt and water. What engine e did you go with? Also are those lil apehanger bars you flipped?

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I'm still deciding on a motor but talked with Neil about his 48cc round head motor.

Not looking for a total rust look but a red bike with some rusty components and old looking paint.

In the picture, the bars do look like ape hangers but they're just some vintage cruiser bars just like I have on my road master.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Build progress….
I got the faux rust looking pretty good but may redo it because I did it on the straight chrome. It stays on well but when another piece of metal hits it, it comes off. Probably will strip it down and sand the chrome to give the paint something to stick to. I'm figuring the paint part out as I go. =) I'll post up some photos soon. Ran out of warm weather before finishing the paint so I'm creating a heated paint booth in my garage to finish everything up.
I used drinking straws on the spokes to paint the rims (very tedious to cut 36 straws but worth it.) Some of you could tear down, paint and rebuild the wheel faster but I'm not a wheel builder. This is a picture of the straws on the spokes right before I hit it with Black primer.

Also, was able to get a custom made Indian Head badge from Jones and Sons. (Great to deal with by the way and highly recommend!)

Was also able to secure an old carbide headlamp. Gonna keep it with the "rusty gold" theme and leave it non functional just for looks.

Reactions: Nightster

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia

Coming along quite nicely. After unseccessfuly attempting the gold Indian logo for the tank, I ordered a decal from ebay instead. Also picked up an Indian circle badge for the gas tank cap that I can't wait to see!

Tank is darker than I intended so I will be lightening it up with some more red when it gets warmer tomorrow or Monday.

On my to do list is to figure out how to mount the carbide lamp, get the motor kit in and installed, and make the faux crank case.

Keith

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Looks good..maybe gaet a large hose clamp and go around the light and the stem/goose neck. Keep the pictures comin

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have a roller!
Talked with Duane over at That'sDax and it will be a couple weeks for the motor.

Here's a pic before the tank:

Here's a pic with the tank (still awaiting the decals)

Here's with the tank and a faux tool box I made out of cardboard. I'm going to make one out of some scrap aluminum but wanted to see the looks of it first.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Finally have somewhat of a finished project.
Just finished grad school and have extra time to work on my projects! I was able to ride it in my hometown parade this weekend. I do need to redesign my rear motor mount. I wanted to have the engine sitting more upright so I fabbed up a makeshift mount to attach to the rear of the motor and the seat post. Proved to be too weak of material because the torque of the engine bent it.
Anyways, still like to make a faux crankcase (possibly making mounts included into it?) before I say it's complete.

Here's mine next to the real deal 1918 Indian!