Breaks at low speeds

GoldenMotor.com

josephusflav

Mar 1, 2022
I have coaster brakes, I however don't desire to go faster than a normal bike only to use the gas to climb hills and keep my pace constant.

Presumably if coaster breaks are adequate for pedal speeds they should be adequate for the gas powered motor at that same speed.

I intend to order a analog speedometer to ensure my speed is correct.

Is this safe or am I about to die.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I have coaster brakes, I however don't desire to go faster than a normal bike only to use the gas to climb hills and keep my pace constant.

Presumably if coaster breaks are adequate for pedal speeds they should be adequate for the gas powered motor at that same speed.

I intend to order a analog speedometer to ensure my speed is correct.

Is this safe or am I about to die.
On a M/B it's not safe to ride with only one brake, especially only a coaster brake
Coaster brakes are famous for locking up when the brakes are applied and that's not good at M/B speeds
Put a front brake on then you'll be safer,
F&R Rim brake will be fine with your lower speeds
But don't ride your brakes going down long hills, it can over heat the wheel and the PSI in the tube will increase until the tire blows

Do not use rim brakes on Mags, they eat thru the mags

For proper stopping on a M/B use F&R disc brakes or F&R drum brakes.

Many ride their M/B with a rear coaster brake and front rim brake and have no problems
I think you'll be safe since you say your not gonna go to fast

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's OK to use a rear coaster brake, but I strongly suggest that you also install some kind of front brake to help!! (I've always preferred coaster brakes on my bikes).

One thing that's kind of mandatory when keeping the coaster brake, is to disassemble it (before use) & add plenty of grease to the insides. Keep in mind that it can be a little tricky to put back together correctly.
I believe there's instructions posted on this site for doing it.

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
IMO, one good idea is to get a really large sprocket (roughly 50t, depend on the wheel size). This will help keep you from reaching high speeds (in case you accidentally punch the throttle, I have) and will also increase torque going up steep inclines. Did I also mention you can coast at slower speed without the engine stalling? Well, u can.

CONCLUSION: I would definitely invest in a largely geared sprocket (I would do some research on gear ratio though) and front disk brakes.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I agree with what was said about front brakes, they are needed! True story, In 2011 when I got into this hobby two of my friends and I were riding one evening right before dark, I cruised up to a stop sign when one of my friends went by me dragging his feet like Fred Flintstone. His pedal chain had come off and since before then he saw no need for a front brake he couldn't stop, luckily there wasn't any cars coming. I was the only one in the group with a front brake, I install one on every bike I build.

steve17

Jun 11, 2022
I'm in favor of adding a speedometer because it's a simple way for cyclists who want to track their distance on a bike. It also has a compact design that is easy to assemble and useful.