Breaking-in a new engine

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
That was one of the most interesting threads I read on this forum. I tried the opposite. Once I ran for two weeks with no oil at all to see how long a 2-stroke will go. When it finally seized going up a big hill I let it cool down, put some regular premix in, broke it loose, and weezed home. Needless to say the compression was never the same on that puppy. But TWO WEEKS! Another time I did it on a bet and collected too. Shorter interval and no apparent damage.
2 weeks on straight gas! that is amazing, i never would have thought it would last that long, i have a 2 stroke lawn boy that i run in straight gas, i have been doing that for years now, it stalls when it overheats but i can usually get my lawn cut in time, then let it cool down and take it out next week,

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
i was at 20:1 and knew it would run on 13:1 so i went down to 10:1 it ran fine, a bit more smoke but it still had full power, so i halfed that!! 5:1, and it still ran, it was sluggish and alot of smoke, but i could still see riding it like that in the long run, i finaly said all or nothing and dropped it down to 3:1, and thats when it was hard to ride, stalling bogging, so much smoke it looked like fog! but it ran, man did it run, on 3:1!!! insane little engines!
I use a hammer to get similar results. ;)

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
WOW, well i guess if i ever run out of gas on a ride with some buddies again, we now know that we can split 1 ounce between three bikes. When i first started rideng these things, I had just enough gas to get me to the dirt bike shop to get some oil and then to the station, i wasnt thinking clearly and put 6 ounces of oil in my tank and then pumped a little less than half a gallon in the tank, it ran about a hundred yards and left me to peddle home, hahaha!!!!

fastcar1946

Dec 5, 2009
hollywood florida
yep i was told to use synthetic oil only. 16:1, 8oz per gallon for the first two tanks. after the motor was running like a fat pig, having hesitation and getting oil all over me via my chamber pipe i switched to 32;1, 4oz per gallon. to much oil makes a mess and dawgs the motor with hesitation and leakage. peaceout

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm not recommending this to anyone, but it's working for me (so far.)

i'm running Opti-2 at 80-1 (thought it was 60 till i checked the calculator) on my brand new reversed Grubee 66cc. sustained WOT for 30 minutes or more, slow putts thru parking lots, full throttle down small hills.

i've always been into the idea that you should run in a motor the way you're gonna ride it anyways.

the performance is incredible, it's super smooth, sounds great, and my plug is the perfect tan color.

i've run through one tank so far, so it might be too soon to tell, but i'm loving it.

my first motor, i broke it in on valvoline the normal, rich method, and it ran like crap for weeks till it finally broke in. it still runs good, but no where near the performance and smoothness of my new set up.

after i run through my 2 gallon can, i'm going 100-1.

check out the Opti-2 website. so far, for me, they've met and exceeded all their claims.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I stole some fuel out of my first build today forgetting I had put motorkote in the fuel....gonna be interestin seein how long it takes to break in, that stuff is slick.