Brand new engine wont stay running

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
now that you've replaced so many things, I suspect it was & is a running motor on which you've missed something simple

it is often better to stop, learn more, work less

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The members here are trying to help you which is why this forum was created. Posting disrespectful replies to them is not going to help you. Your last post was deleted.
If you do not want the offered advice then ignore it but do not make derogatory comments to those who are taking their time and offering assistance. You have received good information from some experienced builders but it appears you have elected to forego it and replace parts which were probably not the source of your problems.
If you don't want to take advice, don't come here and ask for it.

Tom

Reactions: Poppajohn84
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
+1 to Tom

Garbage In, Garbage Out, that's how any system works. You should have two running motors, but I have a feeling you'll end up with two piles of junk that's worthless to you. Whatever motor experience you think you have, only applies to these ChinaGirls in basic premise. Your weedeater or chainsaw is not working as hard as that little hunk of aluminum on your bike. Step back and listen to the folks trying to help you, or pack it all in a box and send it to one of us, chances are, it'll fire and we'll ride it to death.

Calm down, close your mouth and open your ears. Or eyes in this case.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
How many things does a motor need to run? Fuel, air, compression and spark. Do you have them all? Are they in proper order, in regards to ratios and timing? You have pointed out a possible timing issue at your magneto magnet. After rereading the entire thread, this is the only solid evidence of a hinky part. And it's only hinky, not definitely bad.

Motor mounts were mentioned likely because when loose or improperly installed, vibrations can cause cavitation and bubbling in the float bowl, robbing the carburetor of fuel, despite adequate flow and proper jetting. I don't think the motor being discussed has run long enough for you to have an issue, but I could be wrong. There's about a dozen things you may have overlooked, but you've replaced so many parts, it has to be something stupidly simple, maybe, just MAYBE your motor mounts are part of the issue.

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
How many things does a motor need to run? Fuel, air, compression and spark. Do you have them all? Are they in proper order, in regards to ratios and timing? You have pointed out a possible timing issue at your magneto magnet. After rereading the entire thread, this is the only solid evidence of a hinky part. And it's only hinky, not definitely bad.

Motor mounts were mentioned likely because when loose or improperly installed, vibrations can cause cavitation and bubbling in the float bowl, robbing the carburetor of fuel, despite adequate flow and proper jetting. I don't think the motor being discussed has run long enough for you to have an issue, but I could be wrong. There's about a dozen things you may have overlooked, but you've replaced so many parts, it has to be something stupidly simple, maybe, just MAYBE your motor mounts are part of the issue.
I'm the one that suggested my magnet. I even posted pictures of my magnet. It is not pointing where it should point at the 1:00 position. I also mentioned the one side isn't as magnetized as the other. I still haven't got any replies. I was told to change my motor mounts and drill out my carb jets... lmao!

I said I was swapping my magnets when my new motor arrived because I liked my professionally painted black motor. I was told my motor was not professionally painted and I was told it was a waste of time changing my magnet. (But changing motor mounts isn't a waste of money and time)

I appreciate all the "good" advise I got from the members here, I really do.
I have checked everything mentioned and nothing is bad,
I am down to it being a timing issue (see my picture).
I will have it running this weekend when my new parts arrive.

I have only spent $25 on parts. If I don't need them, so be it. I have spare parts now. I do not see the need for criticism, especially after some of the things I was told to do in here. People want to put me down and say I'm spending money on parts not needed, but then turn around and want me to buy parts that might not be needed.... LMFAO!

Whatever.
I have joined other forums. I will find someone with motorized bike knowledge that can help me.

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
I installed rubber mounts on this bike because my last bike vibrated so bad the nuts and bolts were coming loose. Vibration does not seem to be an issue with this bike.
It actually ran quiet and smooth when it was running. The mounts are brand new, as is the bike, and the motor. I have 2 miles on it if I'm lucky. Not an issue.

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
Right now I'm wasting my time pulling the head off the engine to see why it has 2 head gaskets on it. I have nothing better to do. I cannot do anything until my new engine arrives in a week.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
read on the board here about rubber mounts - almost always a fail

PVC should be used

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
For the love of GOD! Stop it with the mounts. This bike does not even vibrate.
If the mounts are causing the fuel to bubble, why won't it start after it sat for 2 days?
Please do not reply again.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
For the love of God, your bike will not vibrate because you keep running that maple syrup viscosity fuel mix through it and soaking your plug with oil. Maybe try thinning your mix( 32:1) and add oil for your comfort after you get it running. Better yet buy a pack of opti and have a consistent mix all the time.

You last stated " 21:1 but it doesn't really matter because your last bike ran 16:1"

I call B.S and a lot of other members are going to ignore you if you refuse to listen about the basics such as a good consistent fuel mix and NO rubber mounts.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
For the love of God, your bike will not vibrate because you keep running that maple syrup viscosity fuel mix through it and soaking your plug with oil. Maybe try thinning your mix( 32:1) and add oil for your comfort after you get it running. Better yet buy a pack of opti and have a consistent mix all the time.

You last stated " 21:1 but it doesn't really matter because your last bike ran 16:1"

I call B.S and a lot of other members are going to ignore you if you refuse to listen about the basics such as a good consistent fuel mix and NO rubber mounts.
I don't think the mounts are his problem in keeping his engine running, however, rubber engine mounts shouldn't be used, they have failed too many times to the point that any debate about this is obsolete. Also, I agree that too much oil can really guck up these engines and running with a rich mix can cause problems.

It seems the problem as described is that the thing is flooding, and I suspect it's the timing, probably sucking in gas upon shut down and making it impossible to start until the gas dries out again. Check for proper timing. At top dead center the cut outs in the magnet will be in the 12:00, and 6:00 position. The key will be at the 1:00 position ensure it isn’t sheared. (there are a total of 4 keys on these engines).
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Ron-Becker/library/Magnetto?sort=6&page=1

The ignition timing can be adjusted with an offset key. Retard the ignition timing for more high RPM speed at the cost of loosing low RPM power. Advance the ignition timing for more low rpm power at the cost of loosing high rpm speed. One can go too far and loose any benefit of adjusting the timing, but a typical offset key only advances or retards the timing by 1/2 a key width. Any thinner than that and the key will be too weak to be of any use.

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN

You can call B.S. all you want. My mixture is at around 21:1 right now. That is not going to cause it to do what it's doing. I've talked to dozens of other people that actually know what they're doing.
Rubber mounts are the only way to go.
Are you getting upset little buddy?

laff

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
I don't think the mounts are his problem in keeping his engine running, however, rubber engine mounts shouldn't be used, they have failed too many times to the point that any debate about this is obsolete. Also, I agree that too much oil can really guck up these engines and running with a rich mix can cause problems.

It seems the problem as described is that the thing is flooding, and I suspect it's the timing, probably sucking in gas upon shut down and making it impossible to start until the gas dries out again. Check for proper timing. At top dead center the cut outs in the magnet will be in the 12:00, and 6:00 position. The key will be at the 1:00 position ensure it isn’t sheared. (there are a total of 4 keys on these engines).
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Ron-Becker/library/Magnetto?sort=6&page=1

The ignition timing can be adjusted with an offset key. Retard the ignition timing for more high RPM speed at the cost of loosing low RPM power. Advance the ignition timing for more low rpm power at the cost of loosing high rpm speed. One can go too far and loose any benefit of adjusting the timing, but a typical offset key only advances or retards the timing by 1/2 a key width. Any thinner than that and the key will be too weak to be of any use.

I have posted pictures of my magnet. The keyway is way off. I'm told my motor mounts need replaced. LMFAO!!

laff

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
Funny thing... Iv'e talked to people that say by not using rubber motor mounts it causes the metal on metal to vibrate and saw through their frame.
Now being that Iv'e been a mechanic for 30+ years and Iv'e been a transmission builder for over 20 years, I think I know what is B.S. and what isn't B.S.

My last motorized bicycle didn't have rubber mounts and it was a nightmare. My nuts and bolts were constantly coming lose.

Using rubber mounts is a personal choice, it is nothing more than your opinion.
I do not care what you put on your bike, or how cheap you want to make it.

Rubber is not making my bike not run. Believe what you will.

Now if you don't mind, I am going back to the other forum where everyone isn't drunk.

Have a great night! (smiley face)

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Damn, insult me why don't ya. I didn't say nothing about your mounts except that rubber mounts suck...but they are your choice, do as you wish. I kinda wonder why you are on these forums at all asking people what is wrong with your little china girl engine, I mean, since you have been a mechanic for 30yrs, I would expect you might be telling us what is wrong, not asking us. Just sayin...

Indy420

May 15, 2016
Fort Wayne IN
Damn, insult me why don't ya. I didn't say nothing about your mounts except that rubber mounts suck...but they are your choice, do as you wish. I kinda wonder why you are on these forums at all asking people what is wrong with your little china girl engine, I mean, since you have been a mechanic for 30yrs, I would expect you might be telling us what is wrong, not asking us. Just sayin...
I never insulted you. I was calling out the kid that called me a liar.
I replied to your post with an answer.

What's wrong with you people? laff

Status
Not open for further replies.