BonusParts' Post-Deer Rebuild

GoldenMotor.com

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Here's what I've been up to!

I got the fork off, new one ordered. Got 2 spare wheels and the sprocket mounted. Also remounted my tires and switched tubes. Got the back wheel on and adjusted, just waiting on the fork.

So thats where I'm at so far. I'll keep everyone posted with my new exhaust and such and her second maiden voyage.

-matt

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Lookin' good so far. Still, it's horrible what happened to require this rebuild. Damm little deer!
I am glad to see that you are back at it and rebuilding so quickly!

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Indeed! As of right now all thats left to do is wait for my sbp expansion chamber and re ziptie my coil back on. otherwise, front fork is installed, 2 new wheels, and the brakes are properly adjusted (for extra fast stopping with chitty vbrake). i am buying a disk brake for up front shortly i believe. anyways, other than that I've been searching for a new frame to fit my fred motor and giant mikuni carb!

matt

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
^ thank you, and yea, dinged it pretty good. Waiting on the mail today....

sbp expansion chamber and a jnm x port are arriving! otherwise, im still seeking a frame for my fred motor.

cannot wait to hit the trails again.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Wow, glad you're alright and the bike is being repaired. I have a couple of questions for everyone... If the bike were insured would deer damage be covered? What happened to the deer. I like venison...

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Wow, glad you're alright and the bike is being repaired. I have a couple of questions for everyone... If the bike were insured would deer damage be covered? What happened to the deer. I like venison...
Not sure, dont plan to insure it. and the deer was not present when i got up

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
I wasn't suggesting that your bike should be insured, mine aren't. I was just wondering.
yeah i never really looked into it. i intended to avoid that whole expense seeing as nothing on the bike really exceeds 100-150 individually, and truthfully ive tried to keep my builds budget friendly

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'll bet that little deer will spend the rest of his life telling his venison friends about the time he was nearly abducted by the alien in the UFO.

And his friends will roll their eyes and say, "Oh...not this story again!"

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
I'll bet that little deer will spend the rest of his life telling his venison friends about the time he was nearly abducted by the alien in the UFO.

And his friends will roll their eyes and say, "Oh...not this story again!"
HAHAHA thats a good spin on the event!

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Hi BonusParts,

Haven't been on the forum for a while and just saw your post. Glad to hear that the only thing broken was your bike (still rotten luck).

Here's your problem: (see image)

OK. I couldn't resist making a "Made in China" crack.

I was just thinking about this recently (hitting animals) because a squirrel ran under my wheels when I was coasting around the block about 10mph after shutting my motor off.

In the last few years riding bikes, I've hit 2 squirrels and a dog. Luckily, the dog was hit with my non-motored bike. I had a 30-pack on the rack in back, so the dog got a whack.

I wonder how motorcycle riders don't get killed by critters.

Good luck on the re-build. Maybe we should have cow-catchers in front.

Attachments

Last edited:

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Well, bike was running, now the fred motor is off the frame. I am putting together another motor presently that will be my permanent engine for this bike frame. I plan to seek out another frame for the fred motor to accommodate the larger mikuni.

in other news my new motor is in paint right now :D. waiting for the new cylinder and bolts to arrive. Will post photos when i get some reasonable progress made.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Wow! The deer-domino effect. One thing leads to another, eh?
I will be looking forward to the photos.
I'll have photos soon! The bottom end, covers and head are drying. 2 more coats of clear and I think it's oven time for a final cure ( that will be monday when my fiance leaves for work!! haha)

Im just waiting on my new chrome hardware and cylinder!

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
So here are some catchup pics.

that was before my first coat of clear went on all the engine parts. I wasnt settled on the color yet....

but then i clear coated it, and decided i did like it. quite a bit!

so once that was settled, I finished painting the block, cylinder and baking the lot in the oven to cure and harden the paint.

then i got to reassembling everything...

and got carried away and only took pics when i finished!

The expansion chamber is remaining black, and the intake tube is matching of the covers and head. I havent decided on whether a silver or black carburetor is in order...