Bonneville Flyer, chassis number four

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
...and from the other side. It has an upgraded pipe from the last time you saw the bike that should flow a little better. This is similar to the one Pat built for Bonneville number 5.

Attachments

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
...and from the front. You can see boardie bars, looking good in the same satin as the wheels and cruiser bars. The stem is 50 year old vintage single bolt Schwinn piece with a quick rattle can spray job. At some point I'll need a sturdier piece, but it looks good and should work just fine for now.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Ya Know what would be cool, a pic of all yer personal bikes,where you started from with your bikes to where you are now.

I'll admit to being a Boardie freak 1st and a cruiser guy 2nd but I do like the cruiser you set out with very much! fenders and all the dress up.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Look at the pic in post #98, I've only done 3 ground up builds for myself and they're all in that photo. The Schwinn in the background started life as a China motored bike with a rattle can paint job. I later converted it to a Whizzer motor, but it remains unfinished.

Next up was my blue Morini racer, that was the first stretch frame out of the flyer factory. It was my main machine up until now. The exhaust needs a repair job, but otherwise it's ready to roll. It always fires right up regardless of how long it might sit between rides.

That leaves Bonneville #4 and you all know the story on that one. By far this is my favorite, the big four stroke motor and upgraded tires and wheels makes the others feel like toys.

I'll finish up the Whizzer next with all the vintage goodies and throw it into the stable. Behind that I have an old Simplex that needs a motor and at some point I'll build another Sportsman bike with a big four stroke and it'll get one of the Albion gearboxes I have stashed in the garage.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Very Nice! always good to re-cap on the 1st build to recent, personally I like # 4 as a cruiser, even though everthing is black it's still a good looking bike, if you do another black bike please! consider the butternut yellow wheels, the black bike would be the perfect candidate with those big wheels.

Just a thought, Thanks for sharing the pic's

Attachments

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
It's been more than a month since I bumped up my thread, but I've been pretty busy lately. Last time I checked in, the frame was just back from the powder coater and I had the tins in getting painted.

As you all can see, there has been quite a bit of progress since then.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Yep, it's looking pretty nice Rich. So many little upgrades throughout, especially the electric starter. Can I have your old pull start rope? I still need it for bike!
Pat

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Cobrafreak,
This one is Rich's build all the way. I did some of the brazing and welding, but that's about it. It's a Bonneville chassis but when I walk around it it seems every part is slightly different in some way. I think he found some used engines that had factory Honda starters on them, then he found some OEM ring gears and figured out how to mount them to the billet flywheels. He even worked out the motorcycle front hub install.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Man, your bike is showroom quality! It's just so pristine and shiny.

I didn't even notice the starter. Are you running a generator as well? I'd really appreciate it if you had any information to share on a generator.

You should be very proud of your bike.

Gilbert