Board Track Build

GoldenMotor.com

HDBIKERPA

Jan 14, 2011
PA
usflg Very nice start I will watch this build as I am doing the same type build love these BTR look's good.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Very nice build. I wish there was some more variety out here in tank styles but your bike should be what you want. There seems to be a rut started on this tank type or is it my imagination? I assume they are the easiest to build. No criticism intended, I just would like to see more variety in tanks posted on the forum by the people most capable of building them.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Very nice build. I wish there was some more variety out here in tank styles but your bike should be what you want. There seems to be a rut started on this tank type or is it my imagination? I assume they are the easiest to build. No criticism intended, I just would like to see more variety in tanks posted on the forum by the people most capable of building them.
I agree with you, to each his own. I happen to be a fan of the custom teardrop and the apple juice tanks but they are better suited to other type builds.
I have seen original BTR's with tubular type tanks with pointed ends. I would think this would be the easiest BTR tank option.
However ease was not really in the equation for me. Yes there are a lot of similar tank builds and I like that style.
Hopfully the tank will only be a part of the picture! The fun of the build is doing what rocks your own boat.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Nice start Russel. I'm always fascinated at the inginuity and imagination that goes into these bikes. I was kind of looking into different tank styles recently and I was drawn to the harley pea picker. The trouble is trying to get everything to flow and as with that bike the frame flows with the tank so it's a package deal. It's bad enough trying to keep the proportions in check let alone changing the the whole design.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
I agree with you, to each his own. I happen to be a fan of the custom teardrop and the apple juice tanks but they are better suited to other type builds.
I have seen original BTR's with tubular type tanks with pointed ends. I would think this would be the easiest BTR tank option.
However ease was not really in the equation for me. Yes there are a lot of similar tank builds and I like that style.
Hopfully the tank will only be a part of the picture! The fun of the build is doing what rocks your own boat.
Mark V build a non-stretched Cyclone worksman with darn cute curved tanks. We are starting our own BTR motorcycle gang and are trying to build dissimilar bikes for when they are together (different colors, forks, handlebars, accessories, and tanks). My next bike is going to be this year and I need a 1910 Harley with the tank going over the top bar. After that probably will not be mine (can't afford it) but I am still hoping to inspire one of the locals to finance at least a WWI style Wanderer. You can see why I am pushing for dissimilar bikes which are still true to the original types. Cleveland made a nice later teens bike with the pointed cylinder tank like you describe and of course the cylinder style tanks were more common earlier in bikes....all kinds of neat stuff out there.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Progress is slow. Seems I've had to redo every thing a few times. Thought I would have been done with this project weeks ago. Only get to work on it now and then. Should be ready for spring. h bars and this motor will be changed.

Before and after pictures.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
looks nice...

the thing about making tanks, is it ain't easy. trying to manipulate metal into curves and compound bends is pretty friggen hard.

as far as tank styles being in a "rut," a year ago the only option was the peanut tank. now we have a few people offering different styles for different bikes. to me, that's progress. more and more people are figuring out tanks for their favorite brand of bike. it may take awhile, but there will be a lot more custom tanks out there.

sorry, but this topic always gets to me. try making your own tank, and you'll see why. there is no easy way to do it, and people that complain about the price, the lack of styles, or anything else, just piss me off.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
sorry, but this topic always gets to me. try making your own tank, and you'll see why. there is no easy way to do it, and people that complain about the price, the lack of styles, or anything else, just piss me off.
Well said.

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
looks nice...

the thing about making tanks, is it ain't easy. trying to manipulate metal into curves and compound bends is pretty friggen hard.

as far as tank styles being in a "rut," a year ago the only option was the peanut tank. now we have a few people offering different styles for different bikes. to me, that's progress. more and more people are figuring out tanks for their favorite brand of bike. it may take awhile, but there will be a lot more custom tanks out there.

Wait til ya see what I did with a baseball bat... LOL

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the bat idea sounds pretty cool. i'm always on the lookout for things with odd metal shapes to use for tanks. you might just see some pretty weird things showing up on my bikes soon.

f'rinstance, need a 3" OD brass pipe? look down at your feet the next time you're sitting at a bar...;)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think that foot rail keeps getting shorter,I know it reached both ends of the bar at christmas ,call that guy and ask about the warrenty,,,lol

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes dropped handlebars would look better. However that bent over riding dosen't work for me. Also I would have a poorer view of the traffic around me.