big trouble w/tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

rohan3ni

Jan 15, 2010
florida
:-||

soo i got a new tensioner a shorter one really but it does not work. does anyone know what is a good idea. im thinking of geting a peice of metal and just slaping on it. drilling a hole for the tensioner wheel. i guessing the tensioner is a big problem either for me alone or for everybody .

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
:-||

soo i got a new tensioner a shorter one really but it does not work. does anyone know what is a good idea. im thinking of geting a peice of metal and just slaping on it. drilling a hole for the tensioner wheel. i guessing the tensioner is a big problem either for me alone or for everybody .
If the chain clears the frame forget the tensioner

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Try too slid it back more towards the wheel, that is height is your only issue. If it's your chain coming off then you'll need to adjust your sprocket too minimize any wobble. Although the chain tensioner can help with that issue, it's best to get it as close as you can.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I found that by mounting the engine higher in the frame and flattening the chainstay tube about 1/8" I was able to eliminate the need for a tensioner. There's really no danger in flattening the left chainstay a bit because it's mostly all in tension load. If it were in compression like the seat post that wouldn't be a good idea but it's not. I brazed a reinforcement on the outside of the stay opposite the flattened portion but in retrospect it wasn't necessary.