Bicycle Fork to Tripletree

GoldenMotor.com

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
KC. I checked the details on my lighting coil and it was sold by nationwide resources on Amazon. It was from Piston Bikes. Will try it out tomorrow and let you know how it works. It's supposed to put out 12 volts at high rpms. Reviews are mixed. We'll see. Made a wiring harness today with one DC out put from rectifier for the LED headlight, light in speedo, and horn. The other DC output goes to tail light and brake light. Undecided about turn signals. Might remove pull start if I can kickstart on centerstand.

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Haven't tested any of the electrics yet. Still installing extras. Got the rear fender, side electronic box, and opposing tool box on yesterday. trying for front fender and rear tail light today. will post photos of progress soon as well as report on operation of new generator. Am liking the changes so far. Sorry Allen!

Last edited:

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
This 'do over' is as much fun as a new build. Got the rear fender on and all the electrics hooked up except brake and tail lights. Lockable box on left side is for tools. It holds wrenches, screw drivers, a couple of zip ties, and a tire kit. Only thing it needs is some duct tape! The metal box on the right side holds the key lock, the rectifier, and all of the wiring connectors (A/C in, D/C out). The CDI box is between them to keep it free of rain, etc. The front looks disproportionately high because of my high center stand for kick starts. Last big thing after wiring tail light will be the front fender. I have a high mount under the headlamp mount, and a couple of connection points on the forks. Just trying to jigger it together. Then will be ready for first test ride. This do over has been a lot more work than I expected. Thanks for encouragement, Allen.

Attachments

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Yehah. First test ride and this thing rocks! Much more fun than before. The HT motor does great with the internal hub, shifts smooth and easy. It runs like an enduro, think I might play with gearing even though I like having plenty of power. Didn't check top speed because I was riding in my neighborhood. Rode past a neighbor's sign that said "Drive like your kids live here." The new pipe is really loud and totally changes the sound. No more ringa dinga ding. KC, the lighting generator works great. Consistently bright lights with minimal blinking even without a battery. If I could figure out what size I need, I'd put a capacitor in the DC circuit to even it out. Still need a front fender, then I'll tune the carb. I suspect the jet is too small for this pipe and air filter. Gonna remove the pull start since kick starting works on first kick. I'm gradually getting there, then what?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm gradually getting there, then what?

Every time I thought I was 'there', I discovered that I really wasn't.

How is the steering feel with the rake it has?

I also have that same expansion chamber. I wedged a small tubular Briggs muffler in the outlet --- made it lots easier to live with. I actually had to go with a smaller jet after this pipe was added.

Best of luck on your adventure!

Last edited:

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
The steering is rock solid. Did you solder and drill to re-jet? My backup bike is a Harley, so I'm use to noise. Did you have to modify the pipe to make it fit? Had to bend mine out about 5 degrees and put a 1/2 inch aluminum spacer between exhaust mount and header plate.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The steering is rock solid. Did you solder and drill to re-jet? My backup bike is a Harley, so I'm use to noise. Did you have to modify the pipe to make it fit? Had to bend mine out about 5 degrees and put a 1/2 inch aluminum spacer between exhaust mount and header plate.

I have a full set of jets to play with (ended up with a #62, using 50:1 mix)......though I probably should invest in a precision drill bit set. My exhaust was basically plug-n-play --- it fit with no tweaks needed. I've tried numerous exhaust setups. This is the best I've found.