BGF Hongdu/Solex

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Pic here from an Italian MV site, depending on where you go, you might find some heat proof wiring at an industrial supplier.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Ooooo yes that looks much better Ludwig :)

When I was a teenager thousands of years ago one of my friends worked for the Otis Elevator Co as an apprentice electrician. His bike rebuilds always looked spot on as he could get long offcuts of really nice fabric covered wire through his job.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
One place to look is places that make or maintain machinery, like vacuum forming or injection moulding equipment. They use hi temp fabric covered wiring a lot.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
One last ride.

I was wheeling it out to remove the motor and it kicked. Amazing.

So I hopped on and sure enough it putted right off like it always did. A bit sluggish though, but it went down the road. Circled back and parked. A drip was coming out. Never saw that before.

Allright, one last ride! Put the helmet & glasses on, put more gas inna tank and we're off. Need a lot of "start" position to run. Only when it was real warm did it like open. Got back and yup, gas is dripping out the opposite engine side of the shroud. Going back up the driveway hill the motor was running fast and the bike was running slow. When I parked it, many drips of gas came out.

I know, I know...crankcase seal is leaking. Yup, that's it!

Not gonna fix it, motor is going inna trash. I'm done. Not going to buy new seals, not going to de-oil the clutch, just going to remove it and throw it inna trash. Yup, it looks cool and was a great piece of nostalgia. Ran quiet and smooth. Going in the trash - :)

The Staton mount came in and it looks like a real good fit. I've got a couple of Tanaka 33's that I got during the incredible $75 sale just sitting inna box. Out with the old and in with the new!

I did enjoy our last ride together, but now it's time to say goodbye.

joshua97

May 8, 2012
perth
hey guys i just acquired a BGA sole 4800 clone for $80 aus. Just wondering how it bolts on as i can't find any details on the net... The only side mounts are seemingly flimsy and i have a bucket of brackets, but do i nee to to drill into the frame and where does it bolt to? frame or forks? and how to i use the decompression system to start and is it a " lift and lower with out a clutch?" any info is great thanks josh :)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
MikeB: check for a cracked fuel line at the union, I have seen a few this way on the Chinese engines. Might explain your troubles as the fuel pump would loose prime when sitting for a while, then have difficulty pulling fuel back to the carb with out a prime down the carb. I have had no problems in my experience with the pumps. The fuel dripping sounds wrong for a blown seal. If it were that bad the engine likely would not run at all. Just a thought before you trash it.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
hey guys i just acquired a BGA sole 4800 clone for $80 aus. Just wondering how it bolts on as i can't find any details on the net... The only side mounts are seemingly flimsy and i have a bucket of brackets, but do i nee to to drill into the frame and where does it bolt to? frame or forks? and how to i use the decompression system to start and is it a " lift and lower with out a clutch?" any info is great thanks josh :)
There are 4 clamps that attach 2 flat metal plates to the bikes forks. The engine then attaches to them. Depending on the fork tube size you may have to get longer bolts for the clamps. I replaced the cheap hardware through out. The flimsy engine side plates are quite strong when mounted. That basically mounts the engine. The hook to hold the motor lifted attaches to the bikes stem, but is usually to short. I have my compression release on the left and the throttle on the right. As the engine is shipped the carb should be set to run at full throttle and return to idle when the lever is pulled. There is an auto clutch that will allow the engine to idle with the roller engaged. The clutch is generally draggy when new and requires a bit of forced idling with a bit of throttle to break it in.

IWW is right read the thread when you have the time.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Found this on Ebay if anyone's interested in a mint Sears solex.
I know these 22cc engines were made by Tanaka, but other
than that not much. Rare to see one of these 60s/70s new in the
box. Hmmm? can't get it to load. Listed as:

Rare New Old 1960 70s Sears Free Spirit bicycle assist motor

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
They turn up from time to time on Ebay, but
this is the first one in new condition I've
seen. 22cc is a bit under-powered for me, but
I thought someone on this site might want it as a
novelty. Yes, getting it to N.Z. or the U.K. would likely
be too costly.
It's a pretty reliable little engine,
little being the operative word.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It would be eminently suitable for the UK 1kw motor assisted bike rules. Pity it's so far away.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The place I got my minimoto engine from has recently got some 66/80 China motors in, I wonder if they'll chance some friction drive kits or Hongdu VS.