Being invited out is a PAIN!

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I had the same idea. It wasn't until I saw the video that I realized that these were homemade go-karts with bodies.

Way cool! I started my DIY motor fetish with a go-kart made of 2x4's and planking when I was 13. I really wanted a steering wheel, I only had a rope - :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
When you first posted this I confused it with the actual antique “CycleCars” of the 1920’s and assumed this was a rich man’s sport.

After watching the video you posted I see this is clearly not to case! That inspired me to do some more research into the “Cyclekart” phenomenon and have to say it’s pretty intriguing!

For a basic overview I’ll found this with internal links to follow> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclekart

I actually have already independently slowly started working on a vehicle pretty close to these. Although mine is to be a bit larger using 26” Worksman wheels (already purchased), and will have a much different engine- So unfortunately it would never qualify for any actual Cyclekart club events.

Never the less I could see myself doing this someday!

Vintage swag is a plus!

Thanks for the post and please do take lots of pics!

-Kirk
With the Cyclekart club there are members who build according to the established formula, those who push the envelope a bit and make all manner of detail changes to the basic design and those like myself who are primarily interested in small motor vehicles and build what they please.
For club events the cars do have to be built according to the rules if you want to compete. Building outside the rules is fine and members are mostly always interested in someone trying something new, but being outside the rules means that you can't race wot you built.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm not going to build it, but the UK moped regs allow a 1kw/5hp in a 3 or 4 wheeler engine provided it's not petrol, and there are some little diseasels around. Most interesting.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
For those of you who are wondering the hat has arrived and it's lovely.

To my great surprise it's brand new with the label still attached on its string. As to the size it's just that little bit small for me so I may have to look into a spot of hat stretching before it gets any serious use.

I've been having a lot of joint and muscle pain lately so I've given up on any ideas of trying to get the main structure of the car built in time for the race meeting. Today has been particularly bad with my pain meds not really doing much to help me at all. Back to the doctor I suppose (sigh).
My daughter very kindly offered to come with me to the race meeting should I need any help or moral support, but I think I will be alright. Something tells me that my daughter would get bored fairly quickly in the company of a bunch of 50-60+ year olds rabbiting on about the good old days.
So I'm still definitely going to the races don't worry about that :)

Last edited:

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
Intrepid Wheelwoman,
if you're going to stretch your hate, steam is your friend.
Having had to stretch several hats over the years, learned that soaking the hat in water
is NOT the way to go about it. Be careful not to misshape the crown and brim.
Steam the band area with a tea kettle, then slip it onto your appropriately sized form and leave it to dry.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Intrepid Wheelwoman,
if you're going to stretch your hat, steam is your friend.
Having had to stretch several hats over the years, learned that soaking the hat in water
is NOT the way to go about it. Be careful not to misshape the crown and brim.
Steam the band area with a tea kettle, then slip it onto your appropriately sized form and leave it to dry.
Thank you for this very useful advice CK. I had a feeling that steam would be needed to aid the stretching and now you've confirmed it for me.

"I can't come out tonight, I'm staying in and stretching my hat."
Now now Ludwig, hats are a serious business and should not be worn in an ill fitting condition.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You hat is wonderful. Hard to imagine that it is unused for all these years and wouldn't it be wonderful to know the history of where it's been and who had it.
Why it was never used would add a lot of interest for me as well.

Stretching my hat. That's about the only excuse I hadn't heard when I asked a girl out and she wasn't interested.

Steve

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hat stretching is the correct technical term for enlarging a hat's brim size so it will fit comfortably. I don't know a great deal about it, but something tells me that I will know a lot more once I'm done.
Makes sense, but a thought that had never crossed my mind until now. You gave me something to look up and learn about, thank you. Come to think of it, I have an old hat that could benefit from stretching.

Looks like some of the devices to do the job are not very difficult to create, either. (Google Images Result)

This one looks like it might once have been a post on a bannister, with parts from a bench vise.

This one looks pretty straightforward in design and execution:

By the way, that's a very nice hat. I'm glad you found and got what you wanted. :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
For me, finding a well-fitting hat wasn't the problem. I have my charcoal-gray fedora that I wear whenever I am not biking (except when it's just too hot). But finding a well-fitting coat to match was somewhat problematic...until recently.
I just got my greatcoat delivered the other day. I found it and ordered it from The Sportsman's Guide (.com). It's European military surplus, so it wasn't too pricey. And it is a perfect color-match for my fedora. It's very heavy wool and it reaches to my ankles. I don't like to be cold. This will help with that. And my wife is of the opinion that it is rather dashing on me. (Yay. I was rather hoping so.) Warm, dashing-looking coat for a shade under $40. Can't beat that.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Old military wool coats were a staple growing up in Chicago winters. I had a Navy peacoat that kept me warm and dry through years of winter motoring.
Cheap, stylish (again) and warm!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
This is my rain hat. Sturdy and functional. I hate umbrellas.

Has the all important under the chin cinch. When it's rainin' it's usually blowin' too. Ain't no good to be chasin' yer hat down the street and pullin' it out of a big puddle.

It's finally getting some use now after a long dry spell - :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That's kinda what I've used my fedora for. I've sprayed it all over with Scotchguard waterproofing spray. And, being wool felt, it is now good for cold weather, wet weather, anything but HOT weather.