Beef jerky

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Being a do it yourself-er, my next item of interest is making jerky.

The first couple of batches turned out waaay too salty.

What's your recipe?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
use less salt and more spices even sugar. or less salt or a salt substitute. A lot of the different liquid spices will have gobs of salt in them. Cheap sweet wine used in place of water makes some interesting flavors or beer. Experiment with it its fun.
Joe I don't have a set way of making the marinate for the jerky.
Google it for more info.
Real smoking of jerky is the way to go it gives it a good flavor if you have a smoker.
Send me some when you get a batch you like.!!!

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Beer flavour sounds like the way to go . I have experimented with microwave jerky and had some success with pork and chicken . The times in the first recipe seem to work best for me . I have a large 30 year old microwave with a large turntable . Check the net for recipes . ....... D.J.

3. Microwave Jerky

Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb Trimmed venison
– 1/4 ts Salt
– 1/3 ts Garlic Powder
– 1 ts Accent
– 1/4 ts Black Pepper
– 1/4 c Worcestershire Sauce
– 1/4 c Soy Sauce
– 1/4 c Water
– 6 Drops Liquid Smoke

Directions:

- Cut meat into 1/8" thick strips, which is easier if it is slightly frozen.
– Combine ingredients, and place with meat in refrigerator overnight to marinate.
– Then place the meat strips in a microwave roasting rack.
– Set the microwave on high for 4 to 6 minutes.
– After 4 minutes add time in 30 second increments.
– The idea is to have a dried jerky, which means a color change from brown to dark brown, and a consistency in the meat that has changed from supple to leathery in it’s texture.

That’s it!
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Beef Jerky

2 pounds beef (can use flank steak, chuck roast, brisket, sirloin tip or steak)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Directions:

Trim off excess fat. Semi freeze meat for easier slicing. Cut across grain into 1/8 inch strips.

Place meat in shallow pan. Combine all ingredients and pour over meat slices. Let set overnight in the refrigerator.

To cook: Lay out strips on microwave bacon rack. Cover with paper towel. Cook on high power for 2 1/2 minutes. Turn strips. Cook 1 1/2 minutes. Turn strips.

Cook 1 1/2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before eating.

Cooking time may vary with thickness of meat. Store in airtight container.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Microwave Beef Jerky serves/makes 12

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No offence, but isn't microwave jerky called "over cooked"?

Part of the problem was I packed it in salt like the pioneers...I guess they didn't dry it afterward though, it was "salt cured". Heck, it tasted O.K. raw, but when it got dry enough, it was saltier than salt pork.

I'm workin' on it.

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
I do it the easy way. I purchase "HiMountain Jerky Seasoning Mix" from Bass Pro Shop. Follow package directions for application. You have to let the 1/8" sliced beef (I use top round steak) marinate for 24 hours.

I put it in my electric smoker at 225 deg f for 2 hours with HEAVY hickory smoke. When it comes out it is still alittle bit moist. Then I put it in my food dehydrator for 1-2 hours. This fully dries it.

Makes great jerky and they have several flavors. Since there are no preseratives it must stay refrigerated for long term storage but it never last that long around here.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Seeing how I'm a moderator here and I'm supposed to edit out naughty stuff etc.
Well I got to thinking there is "bike build offs"....sssssssooooo?
Is there going to be a "jerk off"? laff

That sounded very naughty, disgusting, just plain crude didn't it!
Lets try to remember this post is about making jerky not the other you naughty boys.

So is there going to be a jerky making contest? I will NOT be a judge.

I Apologize for my bad conduct.
I still think its funny.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Once you get it right send me some.
less salt if you use liquids that have salt in them really helps.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ugh!

I have been making sugared pecans lately though- a little brown sugar and margarine and maple syrup mixed and heated and add the raw pecan halves-

then shake them up in a plastic bin with some confectionerssugar and cinammon or whatever falvor you want-

Just like Stucky's!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Success!

I used a 1/2 bottle of Colgin Liquid Smoke- Natural Apple Wood Flavored Original Recipe www.Colgin.com . (green lable) A big handful of dark brown sugar, and about a tablespoon full of sea salt, plus 1/4 cup water and a half teaspoon of black pepper to make the marinade. After 24 hours of soaking the 1/8" thick strips of London broil ($2.88 a lb, I used a 2 pound piece) I put it in the dehydrator for 36 hours.

It came out perfect.