Batteries are going up , up , up , better

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Batteries are going up , up , up , better get them before they get any higher . some say the price of lead is going up , I dont know , but i am afraid i have waited too late , geting hard to find out here in any stores . online is the only palce , which brings up an question ,, can an lawn mower battery do ? or the ones that go in the electric toy barbie cars for kids do ? the thing i do know is -- once you drain an battery so many times it kills the cells

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Any kind of Sealed Lead Acid battery would do just fine (flooded , like car batteries , are hard to handle for e biking purpose and they aren't built for longer periods of high current draws). Online trading lowers costs of business for merchandiser (therefore higher profit) and reduces hustle (transportation , storage...) , so there you have it. I don't know about higher prices (batteries getting cheaper , from what I saw) but anything is possible...We must play as market says , unless we build our own batts.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I got a pair of lawn tractor batteries for $19.99 at Oreiley's on sale but kicker is $12 core charge I don't have a core. Since the hub motor fried I intend to take em back hope I don't have a problem. My biggest concern is if the darn thing ever exploded it would be right under your arse or right behind your back either way be a good idea to keep a box of baking soda as a hazmat kit to put on your skin if it ever happened. Baking soda neutralizes battery acid.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
OMG george you just may have saved someones eyes

OMG george you just may have saved someones eyes , forgot about that ! battey explosion can happen ! . Im just thinking of terms of out on the road break down issues . thanks for tip on battey , but these lawn mower batteries can drain fast , can that lead to killing the cells quick on these type of battery ?, im thinking deep cell is the way to go , but they are way too heavy ! thanks for baking soda safty tip .. lets brain storm ideas on battery safty and charge issues , it may be an good idea to enclose the batteries in plexi glass cases ? ! , latter , Kicking...
I got a pair of lawn tractor batteries for $19.99 at Oreiley's on sale but kicker is $12 core charge I don't have a core. Since the hub motor fried I intend to take em back hope I don't have a problem. My biggest concern is if the darn thing ever exploded it would be right under your arse or right behind your back either way be a good idea to keep a box of baking soda as a hazmat kit to put on your skin if it ever happened. Baking soda neutralizes battery acid.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Plexiglas is too brittle , unless you use a thicker one - 1/2 inch or so (which is quite expensive for this purpose). You'll be better off with some plywood and fiberglass coating. Lawn mower batts (I assume that they are flooded ) can , maybe , go on the bike trailer , but NEVER under your a**. If we disregard that those aren't made for e bikes (small number of cycles , heating under stress and toxic vapor , maintenance...) , what would happen if you , or someone else , falls (god forbid) of the bike? Note that flooded can be kept only upright and that they aren't sealed very well.
If the difference in price between flooded and sealed is problem - go for used SLA's (deep cycle marine or you can ask UPS maintenance people , for example). Deep cycle batteries aren't much heavier than flooded (comparing by Ah).

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
sealed is the way to go then .. i see plywood is be...

sealed is the way to go then .. i see plywood is a better way to go too . it just dawned on me how hazzards of battries , house hold cleaners ect. and every day stuff we may handel can be forgoten .. good wake up call, - thanks good info ,, - latter - Kicking
Plexiglas is too brittle , unless you use a thicker one - 1/2 inch or so (which is quite expensive for this purpose). You'll be better off with some plywood and fiberglass coating. Lawn mower batts (I assume that they are flooded ) can , maybe , go on the bike trailer , but NEVER under your a**. If we disregard that those aren't made for e bikes (small number of cycles , heating under stress and toxic vapor , maintenance...) , what would happen if you , or someone else , falls (god forbid) of the bike? Note that flooded can be kept only upright and that they aren't sealed very well.
If the difference in price between flooded and sealed is problem - go for used SLA's (deep cycle marine or you can ask UPS maintenance people , for example). Deep cycle batteries aren't much heavier than flooded (comparing by Ah).