Baseball Cards and Kids Today

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What a shock!
Char and I were sitting in the back yard today, beautiful weather after yesterday's rain, when we heard a strange noise coming up the street. I knew what it sounded like but never imagined that I would actually see five youngsters on bicycles, all with baseball, or some kind of cards, clothepinned in their spokes. I laughed and walked to the fence as they rode past a couple of times listening to that old familiar sound that I haven't heard for...what, 40 years or more? Cards in spokes; I thought it had died out with all the rest of those quaint things kids used to do that I did, and remember so well. Made me smile, that's for sure.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
A few days ago I heard what I thought was a pocket bike tearing up and down the sidewalk, I mean it sounded like the kid was flying on the thing. I go out to holler at them and to my surprise I find a kid on a BMX bike with a water bottle jammed between the tire and the frame. About fell off my steps I was laughing so hard. laff

BTW those were probably their old Pokemon cards.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
as a kid i used to have this toy gun that had a little rattle thing that would spin when the trigger was pressed making gun fire noises. i eventually ended breaking it, and then realised if i put it on my bike so that it spins with the wheel, it would make it sound like an engine. this back in perestroika-era ukraine, so it wasnt that out of place, kids used to play with even weirder stuff like sticks and random garbage found lying around.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I lived in upstate N.Y. a few years ago the local Mcdonalds had a 50-60's theme and I always laughed at the young kids dumping money in the juke box and dancing like it was 1959 all over again.

The good things in life never really end.
Oh and the kids dancing were spot on. They knew the moves.

Steve.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tom , around 1962
I was just 9 or 10, my 15 year old brother had a friend stop by with a 26 inch Schwinn, and wedged in the front and back spokes were pop bottle caps of all brands and colors ,going the full circumferance of the rim .I thought this was the neatest thing since peanut butter and jelly in the same jar . He later came over with playing cards fixed to make the motor sound as he moved . At a later date in the mid 60's you could buy a kit with batteries to strap to your bike that had the motor sound blast out while you ride . Just good fun ..John............ It's Fizzies Time

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lefty, I remember guys doing that. I'd forgotten all about it. As for motor sounds
balloons worked great too. You had to use the long ones, not round ones and tied each end to the chain stay on the rear and the forks on the front. Had a great 'rubba, rubba rubba ' sound. Didn't last too long but while it did it sounded awesome. You could use one, two and up to four balloons. With four, it sounded like a Harley...:)
Tom