bad spark plug wires on the hf

GoldenMotor.com

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
just the heads up the spark plug wire on the hf also can go bad. i had this weird problem motor would bog and when i came to a stop the motor would die. took the carb apart again cleaned it. just to find out i have the same problem. anyway after cleaning the fuel line filter new spark plug. testing the plug outside the motor there was spark but it was small and you really had to pull to get the spark. so im thinking my magneto is on the way out, not really it was the plug cable. the wire is very thin inside and can snap if abused. but the plug still worked? im guessing it was arking over. anyway i replaced the wire and she fired up like new :) it should i just serviced the complete bike lol.

the wire just screws into the magneto so its easy to replace with a better quality cable.

now theirs something else you can mod hehe

cheerspino.

Last edited:

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. It's always nice when others tip off the rest so they don't have to go through the process of elimination as well.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Go down to your local HF store and pick up a little pig tail that you can put between your spark plug and plug wire it has a little light in it that will flash when you crank the engine. The faster you run the engine the hotter the flash a good way to check your coil all on the 2 and 4 stroke engines. It only cost a couple bucks.
buzzard

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
yes i had one at one time. i think the dog ate it.

not sure if it would have worked. there was still a spark just not a strong one.

after changing the cable and grounding the plug you can hear the spark now. with only half a pull. big difference.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i change out the plug and wires on every motor i build. i have a growing pile of stock, junk wires. i should just throw them away...

i buy 7mm solid copper core wire by the foot, boots and crimps, and NGK BP7HS plugs.

the BP is a little longer than the standard B, so if you follow my lead, make sure it doesn't hit your piston.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
ya working on my motor i found another problem. my intake valve is leaking so looks like ill be lapping them. im looking to pick up a harbor freight motor for another build for when this one's apart.

also i ran this motor hard i would like to see what damage if any. this motor has internally piston etc :) i really think i would be better off with a bigger bore like the harbor freight motor.

but i did get my gauges working :)

cheers

Attachments

Last edited: