Automatic shifting bicycle!

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i think this would be the coolest bike with a jackshaft! I have seen this commercial on T.V before. Imagine having a HT with a sick jackshaft and the bad boy changed gears automatically.Now thats something to look into. here's a link to the bikes.They are a little pricey! $400.00 (bike) + $110.00 (motor) + $159.00 (jackshaft) = $669.00 That's high but not out of reach. here's the link.
Best Road Bikes, Men & Women Hybrid Bicycles, Cruiser Road Bike, Second Hand Comfort Bicycle, Full Suspension Bikes For Sale, Refurbished Bicycles @ Discount Price – Landrider Bikes

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Ive seen those bikes on tv for years and always wondered how they know to up shift when you hit a hill. I can see spring pressure going through the gears from say 1st to 7th but the other way to see how it works would be interesting.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The problem with Auto shifting is that the shifting occurs at an unknown " to the rider" preset mechanical time or interval. This spells disaster for anyone serious about riding a bicycle. Ever stand on your pedals and shift at the same time? If so.. Then you already know what planting your knees into the pavement feels like. As long as you stay seated on the seat while pedaling "during gear changes, and who knows when that will happen" knee plants into the pavement can be avoided. If you want to install a motor, electric or gas, and use a front crank free wheel to allow for shifting, this too is problematic since a motor applying power when the rear derailleur decides on its own to change gears would spell disaster. What you need to do is install a motor with a front Crank Free Wheel drive setup on a regular bike so you can see how it works and operates. Then, and only then, should you attempt to propagate or move towards an Auto Shifting derailleur setup. My supposition or feeling would be that you would forgo the Auto shifter. The only way I can see an auto shifting bike could work safely is to install a switch that senses the bicycle gear changes, and would automatically throttle down the motor and once the gear change is complete, would automatically throttle back up. Enjoy the ride.. :)

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
They work off a governor that runs off a belt and pulley behind the cassette, the faster the governor spins the higher gear it selects. You wouldn't need the whole bike just the pulley setup and the derailleur. When I first saw them years ago I thought they were a cool idea but not worth the $400 price tag. Not sure how they'd react to shifting under power though.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
junk. total overpriced "fad" junk.

thats why we dont see any big brand companies producing high price autoshifts.....
it wont work. the flyweights move out towards the rim or some **** and shift the gears.

ill say junk just one more time.... "junk"

if you want something noone else has look into an air shifter

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Now there's an idea an air shifter! Connect a big paddle to the derailleur so the faster you go the more air pressure pushes on the paddle shifting you into a higher gear!

laff

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I like to see how different stuff works Ive never seen an autorider upclose only in pics or on tv. Dax was talking about planting your knee into the pavement, I havnt gone down yet on a bicycle since I started riding again as an adult. I almost lost it once though when I was wearing tennis shoes and my right foot slipped off of the pedal when I went to push really hard it scared the bejeezus out of me. A shoe with an integrated heel is definately a plus.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, there's the NuVinci hub ofc - I dunno about how it holds up to motorized use and it's a bit pricey... The one the forum sponsor links to is electronic, but there's also cable actuated ones - saw one at my local bike shop. Thought about it a bit for my build, but I think SBP's jackshaft is still the best way to go lol

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I bought one of those a few years ago. It was only $200 and worked fine but quite heavy. It's gathering dust in a back room. You can't put an engine on them.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's a rpm sensitive and will NOT stand up to motor power. They are overpriced gimmick garbage and you won't like it. Don't pay more than 25$ for a autoshifting bike, and expect to work on it a LOT. Even under human power, they wear and fail soon and often.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
This idea has intrigued me for some time as a way of eliminating the choice between a good takeoff and a reasonable top end. I have a Nexus 3-speed on one of my MBs and it is so much more fun to ride. In the interest of strict legality I've decided to experiment with a Sram Automatix 2-speed that I've mounted between the engine and the rear wheel, sort of like a transmission on a motorcycle. The Automatix hub will serve as a jackshaft and since it's a RH drive I had to install a RH output engine. The literature says the hub shifts at 15 mph so I'll experiement with the gearing to simulate that shifting point. The reviews I've read are positive on dependability/durability, so I'm hoping it holds up to my 4 hp engine. I have two concerns at this point, first, the spoke flange which will serve as my output sprocket mount is pressed on instead of molded to the hub like the Shimano Nexus hub. Second, Sram hubs do not have good seals so I'll have to enclose it to protect the bearings. As soon as I have it finished I'll run a thread on the project. If it fails, I'll just replace it will one of my 3-speed or 4-speed hubs.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You no longer need to question this I've already done it. Been riding my motorized Land Rider for two years now. Currently doing upgrades. Will be posting more pictures and videos soon. And also have other future upgrades coming. Such as a cadence adjuster that can be used while riding. Gear indicater led board. And replacing the pully belt drive system with a direct gear drive system.