Automatic clutch bolt mystery...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yesterday my centrifugal clutch stopped working. I did some asking in another thread and also studied Norm's threads on clutch adjustment for the standard clutch and this morning noticed something amiss as I was about to remove the clutch cover. Two photos below show the clutch covers on my two automatics. The one to the left is the engine which no longer engages as it should. It is missing a bolt which is shown in place on my new automatic in the other photo. Seems to me this is likely the problem. But what is it for? Any reason I shouldn't remove the bolt from the new one, take it to the hardware for match and replace both of them? Or is this a can of unseen worms? I sure would like to go for a spin today... sunny and the mountain is leafing out, but me bike won't go as it is and the bike for the new engine isn't ready yet. Thanks for any advice...
SB

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bummer. I was hoping it was a magic fix hole of some kind. Thread in the bolt and ride off into the sunset. Now I know at least that much. Off with the cover to see what there is to see. Am I correct in assuming that Norm's instructions for tightening the flower nut do not apply with the centrifugal clutch? I'm so glad somebody knows about these. We need to have a file repository for the automatic lore. Thank you,
SB

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yes Norm's instructions apply if your working with that end of the system. You have to make sure the standard clutch is adjusted properly and that the centrifugal clutch is affixed properly to the end of the crankshaft in order to get power transfer to the back wheel.