are the sickbikeparts.com shifter kits any good?

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Hello everyone i ve got a 50cc unknown engne and well I want to go faster and make it look more early indian-ey! Thos advert.s at the top left corner say there's a thingamabob that let's you run the motors power thru the deraliur on a nomal 10 speed and then I would just run a schwinn grape krate shifter on there I will be using a scwinn ace frame and my dad drives 3 diffrent coustem indians (all realy awesom) but anyways please help
Thanks. Charliechaindrive

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
SBP shift kits are the best that you can buy for these engines. At the same time your bike will no longer be considered a motor assisted pedal bike (because the use of gears). It will be thrown into the low-powered scooter class and then that starts a whole other conversation.

All though it is the best, along with others, I have witnessed the shift kit up-close in person and have decided that it is not for me. I have seen the issues that it can cause if not setup properly; and I have seen the performance that it delivers when it is installed properly. I can honestly say performance wise, "how I have my bike setup now, there is really no advantage of a shift kit other than top-end cruising rpms. I have raced shift kits numerous amounts of times and we are always neck and neck all the way through".

Please don't let my opinion discourage you. SBP's products and customer service are definitely "A list".

:)

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
They are great, but not always easy to install. I did have to cut one of the mounting brackets off and re-weld it in a slightly different location for everything to line up correctly. For me the shift kit didn't give me any more speed, but what it gave me was much better performance up the hills. There are some pretty big hills around my place and the shift kit was a must if I wanted to use the engine for going up them.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Another member and I were the first ones to put a 4-stroke with 4G on a SBP shift kit. We both had some teething problems with the setups, but that was to be expected. I dunno whether OP has a 2-stroke or 4-stroke, I'm guessing a 2-stroke. Anyway, I had trouble with their supplied hardware and lots of new-bike teething problems, but that was to be expected. Since I got th kinks worked out, I've had zero problems with SBP's gear.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend SBP. They are MaBers making great parts for MaBers. Mas respeto.

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Ok thanks everyone big help but mydad says it wud be too much mony to buy a brand new one (in his opinion its just 50$ of scrounged up metal and bearings) so I was wondering if anyone had a used and abused one for sale

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Hey everyone I think I mite have figured out how the thing works so I'm going to be attempting to make my own shifter then make a cover and make the bike look like the "schwindian" from a previous post (sory I forgot the name of the owner) or like a mb with indian fenders that's. On. Home - Acme Motor Bikes you will know it wen u see it lol but anyways if anybody got some tips/used parts that baisicly are ready for the scrap pile shoot me a text @ 218 371 8806

qwerty1

Sep 22, 2011
in a house
Are you going to use a china girl motor.

The two competitors to sick bike's shift kit .
Thats dax, and the scooter guy are toast.
When it comes to the jack shaft part of a shift kit you can not even come close to sick bike's stuff.

You will need to buy some, or all of your parts from sick bike parts especially the crank arms.
A lot of people have tried to copy them none have succeed.

Save your self a lot of aggravation and just buy their stuff.

I use a scooter guy motor mount,a gp460 engine, with sick bike parts on the front crank.

Very nice and smooth.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Ok thanks everyone big help but mydad says it wud be too much mony to buy a brand new one (in his opinion its just 50$ of scrounged up metal and bearings) so I was wondering if anyone had a used and abused one for sale

I love the $50 of scrounged up metal part!! zpt .bf.laff.shft.

I would say just a tad more than that. Dads can be like that though!

What the guys say is for the most part true. I will say a shift kit won't always buy more ultimate top speed (think about it) , but will get you there a LOT faster than a bike with a single tall gear, all from a dead stop. We are going on 4+ years of sales now, and the number of true problems is quite low. To be honest, most issues are people simply not following the instructions and taking their time. The other thing people here don't realize is the motorbike world is way way more than these two chat sized. I am always amazed by MB'ers around the globe.

Anyway, sorry we don't have used or returned ones just sitting around for sale (that should say something). We will be having an overall sale in January, but we can't knock too much off the price of our kits, because for scrounged up metal, it sure costs us a lot!!.flg.

Good luck!

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
Proud customer of the shift kit. HQ stuff. Machining the mount must cost a lot given the relatively low volumes along with the high quality HD freewheel so $200 for the HD kit is, in my opinion, well priced.

Every model of bike is different so I'm amazed at the level of service I received from Jim. I probably emailed him 10 times before I ordered and another 10 times afterwards for random issues. Regardless of the service, be prepared to invest some serious time into getting the kit to fit properly.

Pablo, was wondering about the SBP sale...

Hopefully enough of a discount so I can afford to buy an exhaust along with other parts. You guys are awesome!

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
I love my SBP shift kit, my only issue was throwing the rear chain at 50mph... A new high-quality chain and careful alignment cured it.. By the way that was a bike part not a shift kit part.

midwestautoparts

Dec 30, 2010
Fort Wayne
I just wanted to give a "Shout Out" to Sick Bike Parts!
This was my very nervous first time purchasing from them and their customer service was FANTASTIC!!!!!

As this is my first build, I read all the reviews..which were also very good... and being "skeptical" about alot of the buisnesses, decided to give them a try.

I put in an order on Thursday 11:30 for a crank adapter kit, and immediately got an acknowlegement of the order. I emailed them to say thanks, and got a response early in the evening only a couple hours later.
last Friday I also purchased a 4 stroke air filter upgrade, incidentally also at 11:30 AM. at 12:30 pm, I got a "Shipped" indication from them on BOTH orders! Then some USPS tracking numbers around 6-7pm that same day for both orders! WOW, haven't seen customer service myself that good in a long time!

I emailed them again, and got a response midday next day thanking them. Jim told me I should see them in 2 days on Tuesday. Here it is Monday, the day before, and the parts are sitting here in front of me now!!

If anyone is thinking "Oh boy...should I try SBP?.....YES, Go for it!!!!!" If they stock something I need again, I'll 100% purchase from them again. Jim said "thanks for the kind words, all I can say is we "try". WOW, thats good enough for me!

WAY TO GO GUYS!! I'm glad we got some dependable suppliers on our side.
All you bike builders out there...YOU ROCK!!! See ya!dance1dance1dance1dance1

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I hit 4000 miles on my Huasheng with 4G and SBP 4-stroke kit today, in heavy rain.
There's many here with more miles, and I had some teething issues with my ride (who doesn't when it's different!) but I can honestly admire the work Pablo and Ghost put into these kits. They aren't for everyone, but if you take the time, you can do wonders with a SBP kit! It's really worth the extra cussing! :D

Heck, not all of us can just fab up our own jackshaft mountt real quick! Thanks SickBikeParts, you guys rock! (^)

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
sbp's products are great! unfortunately, i ordered an air filter and exhaust right when they ran out of pipes, so they was a huge delay in the shipping. it was about a week and a half. very dissappointed, but because it is not a regular thing for them, i will be ordering a shift kit when i have money and it's on sale. the filter is great, the pipe is too.