Are 2 stroke engines reliable?

GoldenMotor.com

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
2 strokes can run forever, provided that they always get the right fuel-oil ratio. 2 strokes can make way more power than a 4 stoke for less money.
i'm talking a QUALITY 2 stroke (like a yamaha).
china girls are cheaply made with cheap parts.
they can be made to last and you can increase the power very easily with bolt on parts.
but a china girl will never compair to a quality made japan 2 stroke.
in my opinion, a 2 stroke is better for a bicycle than a 4 stroke because 2 strokes rev a lot higher, they are lighter, cheaper and they have a better power band than 4 strokes do. a 4 stroke is just like "blahhhhhhhhhhhhh" eventually getting some power (like taking off in a stick shift car in 3rd gear.)
a 2 stroke is like "brinnggggg, brinngggg" making power right away and all through the rpm range.
Just my opinion.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
2 strokes can run forever, provided that they always get the right fuel-oil ratio. 2 strokes can make way more power than a 4 stoke for less money.
i'm talking a QUALITY 2 stroke (like a yamaha).
china girls are cheaply made with cheap parts.
they can be made to last and you can increase the power very easily with bolt on parts.
but a china girl will never compair to a quality made japan 2 stroke.
in my opinion, a 2 stroke is better for a bicycle than a 4 stroke because 2 strokes rev a lot higher, they are lighter, cheaper and they have a better power band than 4 strokes do. a 4 stroke is just like "blahhhhhhhhhhhhh" eventually getting some power (like taking off in a stick shift car in 3rd gear.)
a 2 stroke is like "brinnggggg, brinngggg" making power right away and all through the rpm range.
Just my opinion.
really...2stroke china girl will out rev a 4stroke...you really don't know alot about motors do you? A HONDA GX50 will rev to about 8500rpm far beyond what a chinagirl will do without blowing up formula 1 racecars over 10,000 rpm for hours at a time

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
really...2stroke china girl will out rev a 4stroke...you really don't know alot about motors do you? A HONDA GX50 will rev to about 8500rpm far beyond what a chinagirl will do without blowing up formula 1 racecars over 10,000 rpm for hours at a time
dude, wtf is your problem?
if you read my post i said "A QUALITY JAPAN 2 STROKE LIKE A YAMAHA" will out rev a 4 stroke. I also said that a china girl will never compair to a quality made 2 stroke.
yes, i know a ton about engines.
formula 1 blahhhh......
who give 2 craps about formula 1?
a small block chevy can handle 10,000 rpms if it's built right.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
dude, wtf is your problem?
if you read my post i said "A QUALITY JAPAN 2 STROKE LIKE A YAMAHA" will out rev a 4 stroke. I also said that a china girl will never compair to a quality made 2 stroke.
yes, i know a ton about engines.
formula 1 blahhhh......
who give 2 craps about formula 1?
a small block chevy can handle 10,000 rpms if it's built right.
care to post a link to a crank that is rated to 10,000 rpm for a SBC also valve springs, pushrods, and a set or rockers and a copy of the dyno run proving that it can do 10,000 rpm and not blow up

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
yep, you can thank the tree huggers for that.
go back a few years, look up the yamaha rd 350's.
go look up the kawasaki mach 3, 500 2 stroke triples.
all gp bikes used to be 2 strokes.
ducatis are not rpm engines, they are low revving torque monsters.
2 strokes make their power at high rpms.
do some reading.

do you want me to keep posting links all night or are you going to listen to what i'm saying?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_9609_yamaha_rd350/index.html

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_h1 500 70.htm

http://www.gizmag.com/go/2542/

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've run some 2 smokes until worn crank seals made them a real bugger to start, and then they would no longer idle.
4 strokes are probably more durable, but they are far more complicated.
Build quality will be the important factor.
And that you must pay for. :)
Good luck with your choice.
rc

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I wonder what the fastest blueprinted happytime has pulled off. I'm sure it's been done to death, for grins and bets.

It would make a great project for an engineering college. Imagine an EFI fuel injected happytime with a water cooled head making 10hp and eating frames for lunch.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
bench racing is fun, but you can't argue with cold hard facts when they are in writing.

a 10 hp happy time.....now that would be funny.
I think you'd have to bolt 10 of them together to get 10 h.p.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
yeah sticker "rated" at 2.75 h.p.
I can put a sticker on mine that says 15 h.p. if i wanted to. a sticker does nothing but give false hope.