anyone used a drum brake on a springer fork?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will eventually be installing a springer fork on my bike, what i guess you would call the older schwinn style, with just the one spring up near the headset, and will also be buying a 24" front wheel with sturmey archer x-fd drum brake. is there any concern about the drum brake putting too much stress on the fork?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have over 18,000 miles on my stretch, using a S/A X-FD front drum :)
most of those miles had the brake stopping up to 350+ lbs of trailer/grandkids
all together I have over 40k on the hub (the stretch is the 4th bike the wheel has been on)
the last bike the hub was on (a schwinn jaguar from target) had a springer as well
I do need to change the brake shoes finally, but they seem to be out of stock at the moment

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
cool, so no worries about the fork breaking then. good to know, as I have just about every detail of my rebuild planned. Going to convert my cruiser to 6 speed and install a shift kit, paint it black, 26" 6 speed rear cassette with 12 gauge spokes, 24" husky cycles front wheel with x-fd drum brake and 11g spokes, extended muffler, springer fork, fat tires. waiting on a fellow member to ship a springer fork out to me. gonna be a little while till I get the rest of the parts together.