Another Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Yepp, I know it's another Cranbrook(which seems to be a popular bike for this) but it was cheap, looks great with a motor on it and dad felt comfortable riding it.

The engine kit id here and everything just fell onto the frame easily and like it was built to be there.
We mocked up the engine and brain stormed ideas for a front mount which I decided I will build out of aluminum. It will sort of be like an engine rod cap with two bolts holding everything together.

The bike itself has thick spokes which are nice and tough. One thing I can see so afar is the chain is going to be truble rubbing the tires and fenders. I decided I will crimp and shape the fender to fit the chain rather than cut a notch(looks more finished to me) I don't know yet, but that seems to be the biggest obstacle so far(making the chain fit)

The engine is a chinese two stroke(SD Stinger and first impressions are that it looks great in the Cranbrook almost like it was suppose to be there. The quality of the engine seems to be a little lower than I have seen before. The head obviously had pores and casting marks which look unfinished or from a rough casting and metal flakes in the spark plug hole and some cast flashing on the exhaust port. The studs and hardware are of "not engine grade" quality. I'll be putting in some better studs, better sealing on the intake and exhaust ports, and a thorough cleaning of the inside to wash out metal flakes ect. I will also pack grease in the gears and re-tourque all bolts and screws.
I am confident in the engine though, because some here say it has been a good engine for them and with proper first starts and break-in, it should be fine.

This is our first project so mods and customization will be minimal. The plans wil be my own custom front mount(which is almost done) crimp and shape rear fender to fit chain and look "factory" Smoother, better tires, More attractive tank mounting plus paint tank to match bike colors(look less "kittish" same with chain guard) I'll be adding a front brake for safety as well as a headlight(vintage style) That's about it. We were impressed how well it all fit into the Cranbrook and even the exhaust did not hit the cranks on rotation. With my mount idea the engine wil be solid, straight and safe.

So far we both like this hobby and actually started work right away... It's fun figuring out stuff to make it a little better..... I already made custom mounts and a better way to mount the tank...
For now we don't have a lot invested, it will look nice and hope to get it running soon... Later we will build something a bit better.....

Love it so far

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Eric, You might want to also search the forum on fender reinforcing ,,, Silverbear was kind enough to mention when most newbies like me & yourself ,,, like the fenders on these classic cruiser bikes, There also might be a sticky clutch, when installing the chain, Make sure you take out the spark plug when you crank the engine to thread the chain on the drive sprocket,, Have a good time with it,, Got to go ride Over & out ,,,,, Dirtyoldcrusier xct2

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
Eric,

I'm new to motor-bicycles as well, and I too have a Cranbrook that I just finished painting tonight. I probably agree with you on taste as I liked some of the ques you mentioned. Maybe we can follow along with one another... I have a grubee gt5 slant head kit that arrived today.

I modified the bearing shoulders from a mountaing bike and now I am ready to mount a "motorcycle" fork onto the cranbrook frame tomorrow.

Good luck, I'm sure I'll need it as well. These parts are low quality and make me scared.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Thanks, DOC and Tire.

I have been reading a lot of how dangerous the fenders are when on a powered machine and I tried to discourage dad from using then(hoping to just toss the fenders), but he really wants the look they give. This I'll have to get right and safe...I couldn't bare the thought of dad crashing on his bike due to fender wrap, I would feel so bad if that happened. So thanks again for reminding me about the fenders.

Here is everything do far and the bike in stock trim. On the engine there is a sticker of a wasp that I would like to take off, but dad likes it on there lol. So that stays too lmao.

Basically this bike will be totally stock down to the fenders with the engine installed. If it were mine I would strip it, paint it red or something and other stuff, but dad wants to keep the first one simple and get it together so we can learn the engine and how to drive it well.

Here's a couple of pics... I get to work on it in two days and I'll have two weeks vocation to get it done.. Gonna be a nice vacation....can't wait.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
That is the exact bike and motor I have and the Stinger sticker and the displacement sticker will start to peel off voluntarily as the engine is broke in.. Plan on clear coat over paint trim peeling off from fuel contact.

Both stickers are gone and i imaged the displacement sticker and printed a new one and used spray adhesive and so far it sticks longer than the factory sticker. i doan need no steenking Stinger sticker! ;>)

I replaced the seat for my big arse and and I am already looking at springer forks

And the throttle cable failed at the lead slug by the fourth tank of gas...lubricate the lead slug !

Last edited:

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
i can relate to your dad wanting to keep the look with the fenders on. once i get the bike assembled and motor installed and running that will be on my To Do list.

btw your dad would probably approve of some beautification of some of the stamped parts. my tank and extra chain guard were utter crap, dinged and scratched, but with enough sanding and 4 thin coats of primer and 4 coats of color it looks almost as it should. and the idler pulley bracket is a gaudy steel bracket, etc., and could use sprucing up. maybe go get some dupli-color touch-up and try to match the frame color.

HEY GUYS, is the rear fender any danger since it'd be kicked back and away (right)?

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Oh yea... I'll be painting the tank same blue and the guard blue as well.

Anything but the black so it looks like it came with the bike from the factory.

I'm leaving the chain tensioner off and try to get the chain shortened to take up slack.

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
i got the same bike also with a grubee gt5 kit be careful with the chain tensioner if you use it mine rolled and ripped out spokes. I had to cut down my fender to clear the chain then it broke and roled under sudden stop indeed. fun bikes though you should consider an HD wheel for the rear mine locked up all together

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
I got the identical bike as you have there, I added a 48cc grubee on mine. The problems you will run into are the basic ones. The fender brackets are cheap so pay attention to then , I drilled mine and added better rivots to them. The rear fender will have to be cut and trimmed to allow chain clearance. You will have to make a modified front engine mount,as the tube is oversized.

I got my bike at walmart for $75 on sale,every bolt on it was loose and they stripped one of my pedals going into the crank, I just welded it till I get a new one.

The seat is crap, the cool looking tan strip came off on my first ride,so I replaced the seat. This is a very nice bike when completed , but it is defiantly a cheaply made product and will not last any real amount of time. But it is still a fun build and will get attention from people .