Another B.T.R. Build.......

GoldenMotor.com

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Got the main tubes on the forks tacked on, I also made some axle tubes out of 3/4" tubing sleeved inside of 1", than drilled and tapped with set screws.

The wheel pictured is the hub I am using for the front, it is off of a Honda XL185, I feel more confident with a motorcycle brake in the front not to mention the whole wheel with tire was $45.00, I'll use this rim and tire for mock up than lace up the other black rim I have later on. Now that the mounting points on the fork are complete I started working on the main part of the frame too. Hopefully I'll have it all tacked this week...

Last edited:

projectstarter2012

Mar 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Looks great! A lot of detail in your build! Was it hard to align everything on the floor like that? Looking forward to see how your going to set up the jig. Also, what software did you use to dimension your 2D drawing?

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Looks great! A lot of detail in your build! Was it hard to align everything on the floor like that? Looking forward to see how your going to set up the jig. Also, what software did you use to dimension your 2D drawing?
Thanks, Laying it out on the floor actually made it really easy for bending, cutting, and notching the tubes. It was also nice to be able to visualize the frame with the engine and tires in place before I made any cuts. I used an old version of Macdraft for the drawings.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I got lucky and found an aluminum white board track that cradles my tires perfectly, made some uprights to hold the frame and put it on a table. No more working on the ground. I also got the upper shock mounts tacked but will probably redo them...

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
The forks are probably the wave of the future but forgive my ignorance how do they work?
Theres nothing new or special about them, they move a lot like a Schwinn springer fork but the springs/ shocks are set up differently. The lower truss part (green) is all one piece and is connected to the triple trees via bushings (red), the shocks are an internal coil-over from the front of a motor scooter. I am only expecting a couple inches of travel out of this but at least it's dampened travel and will hopefully take the jolt out of the handle bars plus it still has a somewhat vintage style.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Very clever on the fork JTS, I think someone suggested that on my build thread. I'm glad to see you realize the idea.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Well, I made rear drop outs and set up the triangle but I don't like it so I am going to rotate the triangle a little to raise the overall height and shorten the wheel base, I'll also move the head tube to make sure everything stays level and geometry is correct. It turns out the shocks I have are going to be too soft for this set up so I'll probably get mountain bike coilovers like these which will hopefully stiffen it up.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I got the rear triangle rotated today, I shortened the wheelbase by about 2" and raised the height by about 1.5". Also, just for fun, I made some handlebars out of a few pieces of bicycle handlebars welded together and to bolts which I just drop into the triple tree tubes...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looking good!!!!!!!!! Just wondering why you made the rear triangle joins at 90 degrees, rather then having a bend? Did you design it that way or was there a problem getting the bends? This is such a high quality build that at this stage of the build (maybe it will look fine when finished) it looks a little odd to me.

Otherwise its looking great and you sure do work fast.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Looking good!!!!!!!!! Just wondering why you made the rear triangle joins at 90 degrees, rather then having a bend? Did you design it that way or was there a problem getting the bends? This is such a high quality build that at this stage of the build (maybe it will look fine when finished) it looks a little odd to me.

Otherwise its looking great and you sure do work fast.
The 90's are just a base of what will be there, I'll be boxing that area in and adding angles for looks and strength.