Angle For Drop Loop

GoldenMotor.com

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
This will be a dual fuel setup by the way, and my start-up procedure would be pretty simple. Start up on gasoline and let the engine warm up, then light my nozzle for the gasifier. Gas production would take less than a minute to be potent enough to run the engine. As soon as it starts sounding rich I would shut off gasoline flow and let the float bowl empty, while also closing the air intake. Woodgas has a different stoichiometry than gasoline so you need much less air, so you basically build an air mixer. Really is just some kind of valve that runs between the carburetor and the woodgas line. In theory this also means I could run on alcohol fuel without needing to increase jet size due to altering the amount of air instead of fuel.

I'll be sure to document the whole process so people can learn how to build their own, from making the fuel to building the reactor. Charcoal gasifiers aren't really a trade secret amongst Woodgassers and they are the easiest and least risky for the engine to build.

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Well I've found my drive pulley. I work at a GM dealership and handle the scrap metal, they let me take little stuff that isn't worth much as scrap so I like to grab these alternator idler pulleys. I pressed out the bearings in two of them just now. 2.4 inches OD. With a 22" sheave made from a 26" rim welded to the other rim I'll have a 9.16:1 gear ratio. Think that would be plenty low for a Honda 196cc clone?
20210827_100932.jpg

The bore measures 1-7/16" so I could weld this to a V series hub on the outside and weld a V belt for an alternator to generate electricity for my lighting and whatnot.

Last edited:

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Also here's the handlebars I made last year. They're sitting on the Seattle right now but they don't really suit this frame. Just 1/2" sch40 water pipe, comes out to 7/8" OD so it fits most motorcycle accessories. In the background is a nothing special 66cc build I did. Built from a Magna mountain bike frame, it's really tight in there. Runs great but the brakes are god awful so I don't ride it much.
20210827_210059.jpg

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Also here's the handlebars I made last year. They're sitting on the Seattle right now but they don't really suit this frame. Just 1/2" sch40 water pipe, comes out to 7/8" OD so it fits most motorcycle accessories. In the background is a nothing special 66cc build I did. Built from a Magna mountain bike frame, it's really tight in there. Runs great but the brakes are god awful so I don't ride it much.
View attachment 108551
Get better shoes for the brakes like Kool stop, nice job on the bars.

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Reactions: indian22

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Would .049" thick wall tubing be substantial enough for a downtube? I think that's 18 gauge. It's 1" OD seamless. It's what I had locally but I saw that some auto parts websites sell thicker stuff. I'm going to be notching the tubes and welding them instead of lugging and brazing.

Reactions: indian22