American Chopper Build Off

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I watched the 3 way build off tonight between OCC, PJD, and Jesse James and i was very surprised. If you plan on watching it but havent yet i suggest you look away.

That show usually irritates me but i watch it anyway just because i LOOOOOVE bikes, since OCC and PJD split i have found OCC's bikes more and more disgusting, and PJD has had a few somewhat nice bikes.But this 3 way build with Jesse James had me quite excited.

I knew OCC would come out with something stupid, i was absolutely right, they built a....... well...... i have no idea what youd call it. But it was IMO quite stupid, it was more snowmobile then motorcycle, and it was almost entirely done by people outside OCC from what i could see..... and as usual the OCC staff carried on like idiots.

I was a little dissapointed by Jesse James, his bike and his behaviour. Sure his bike was nice but he just came off a bit jealous and egotistical (could have been the editing), and i think he way underestimated PJD. He probably did more work then Paul Sr or Paul Jr did, but he was in a comp with OCC and PJD. His bike was nice and he did make his own frame but he challenged them, and his bike dissapointed me. It was nice but way understated.

PJD on the other hand built a bike that left me speechless and created a bike that wouldnt look out of place in the "AMD World Championship of Custom Bike Building"..... especially for a bike that supposedly took 3 weeks. And yes i realise they didnt do it all, they didnt make that frame, but given more time im sure they could have. Im usually very critical of that show but believe in giving credit where it is due..... and WOW WOW WOW they deserve a lot of credit for that bike. I never ever thought id say this but OUTSTANDING job Paul Jr Designs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=p...bnw=177&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:18

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
OH and just in case you were wondering heres Jesse James bike, i must say im not a fan of such a long front end

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=p...bnw=182&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:18

And heres OCC's whatever you wanna call it, and by the way its electric powered, im not sure you would ever win a bike buildoff with an electric build, especially inside the United States..... and almost all the hard work to get this built was done by people outside of OCC

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=O...tbnw=190&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:18

What did you guys think??????????????????????

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
And yes i know PJD tank probably wouldnt hold much, but hey if you ask me it was rolling art, and im judging soley on that...... and besides if i had that bike id be looking for excuses to stop and show it off. And Jesse looked like his arms were that stretched out to reach the bars that shoulder dislocation may have been a serious risk LOL

And i dont believe for a second any of these 3 are the worlds best bike builders but there arent any other bike building shows on at the moment so i can take what i can get, and was impressed with PJD's bike.

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Wow, the OCC thing is just..well...bad. Of the two bikes though, my tastes still lean towards Jesse James. Although not so flashy, that chopper is perfect in every way. And it was built by hand.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Wow, the OCC thing is just..well...bad. Of the two bikes though, my tastes still lean towards Jesse James. Although not so flashy, that chopper is perfect in every way. And it was built by hand.
Yeah im hearing you but i dont like Chopper bikes with their overly long front ends, just personal taste i guess..... but this was a bike buildoff and Jesse James brought a knife to a gun fight if you ask me. Seeing as though Jesse kept going on about how hed kick their butts..... and i really thought Jesse would build something better and i was left a little dissapointed. But it could be just a taste thing..... and BTW im not usually a big fan of OCC or PJD but their WWII fighter plane inspired build was too nice to hate IMO.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Definitely man, I am just a chopper guy myself. Which is one reason I am SOOOOO disappointed in Paul Sr.. He has built some very nice choppers, even if he did use off the shelf parts.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah i must say i really did like the David Mann build, and i actually liked his vintage bike build, that cream and brown bike (the episode with the old Indians)..... but i find Paul Sr to be an absolute idiot.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I watched “American Choppers” for the first couple of seasons but eventually got turned off by all the corny theme bikes.

At the time I thought that they could never compete against the amazing machines coming out of the “Biker Build Off” series.

But a while back to promote the new “Sr. vs. Jr.” show Discovery began rerun the entire AC run daily.

I think I’ve seen every episode now and have to say I really like how Jr’s design sense has developed over the years.

And while I think arguments that his bikes aren’t road trip worthy and that he uses too many outside resources are valid, never the less stylistically he’s really on his game now.

Speaking of “Biker Build Off” did you ever see the 3-way episode with a US, English, & Australian team (Names ???).

The Aussie team used wooden bucks to form Aluminum panels, Cool stuff!- I’d sure like to learn more about this technique!

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah i believe the three way Biker Build Off Show was the first show before the series started.

The Englishman was Russell Mitchell (Exile Cycles), the American was Joe Martin (Martin Brothers) and the Aussie was Scotty Cox (Scottys Choppers).

Joe Martin won that series, but i find his bikes to be just plain ugly. Scottys Choppers bike had a lot of work but didnt do it for me...... I believe the winner should have been Exile Cycles, not only did i think the bike had more visual appeal it was probably the most rider friendly...... The Exile bike was timeless and will never go out of fashion whereas the other bikes would.

There was another Aussie in the Biker Build Off series, Big Bear Choppers owner (cant recall his name) is Australian also.

My favourite builders on that show were Indian Larry (Gasoline Alley), Shinya Kimura (Zero Engineering), Jessie Rooke (Rooke Customs), Billy Lane (Choppers Inc)..... i have most of those shows recorded.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive seen one of Scottys Choppers bikes many moons ago at a car show before i really loved bikes as much as i do, i was more of a car guy. But i do recall seing one of his bikes and it reminded me of the Terminator movie where he can turn to liquid metal... the bike looked like it was molten metal, pretty damn cool!!!!!!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I guess I like the classic designs best. Jesse wins for me.

PJD looks like some space invader stuff to me. Wouldn't want to ride it.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think i would have preferred the PJD bike to have solid wheels and a little less wheel guards. But I looooooooooooved that riveted alloy skinned tank, beautiful. I don't think his bike had a space invader look to it, to me it looked like a bike made by a European builder. Whereas Jesse James bike looked like most American choppers built.

I guess it's different tastes..... But I think we all agree the OCC bike or whatever it is was ugly

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I think you got it right with the terminator thing.

That's the bike Mr. Liquid Metal would be riding.

I'll take the other one - :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think you got it right with the terminator thing.

That's the bike Mr. Liquid Metal would be riding.

I'll take the other one - :)
Did you think i was talking about PJD's bike? When i was talking about the terminator thing i was referring to the Australian Scottys Choppers bikes in "The Biker Build Off" series. Which bike do you want as there were 3 builders involved? Im not really a fan of Scotty Choppers bikes but do admire the workmanship.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=s...5&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=s...tbnw=253&start=19&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:19

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was reading an Australian biker mag and it featured Jesse's build off bike.

I got to see it in a lot more detail and im still not overly impressed, i really dislike his oil and fuel tank exposed brackets and i really dislike the stance of the bike. The springer front end is massive.

Wjile i realise my dislike for his bike is purely a matter of taste, what i dont get, and maybe you guys can help me out, is they say Jesse's bike is a real biker's bike and something that would be a LOT more rider friendly. Ive never ridden a chopper, and never one with a massive springer, but how can that make for a nice riding bike. If thats what made bikes handle well wouldnt Japanese sport bikes be set up like that??????? Id imagine it would have a crappy turning circle and probably have other downsides.

Paul Jr's bike had a small fuel tank which made long rides without regular gas tops impossible but the setup of the bike looks more rider friendly to me then a chopper with a massive fork, am i wrong??????????