Aftermarket motor mounts?

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I am looking for something to replace the outside mounts for motors. Is there anything milled that looks flush with the brackets? I saw Manic mechanic ones but they are more than I need.

Is there a nice-looking milled counterpart for this piece?

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Yes , if you have a good eye for design and excellent fabrication skills. A real workbench will also really helpful . Good luck.

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Are these likely to crack?

I'd hack off all but a quarter inch of the studs and paint the mounts black. I'm thinking of a black jug with chrome pieces like the covers.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, those break in half all the time. it's a really cheap casting and total junk.

you can switch out the cheap soft studs for black allen bolts and it's unlikely you'll ever break one, and they look cooler.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Great tip on the gooseneck clamps Bairdco!
I'm a longtime scrounger and never once thought of that...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yeah, kinda like that. i was thinking more of an old bmx stem with two simple rectangular clamps.

handlebar sizes are either 7/8" or 1", so you need the larger ones, and would have to grind the center out to fit an older 1 1/8" frame tube, as long as the bolt width is correct.

motorcycle handlebars go up to an inch and an eighth, i think, with the same bolt width.

before you order anything, take measurements and ask the seller, or else you're gonna get a cool but useless piece of junk.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
How about an old rod cap off an old motorcycle engine. You may find one with a similar size crank journal. They should be tough enough........just a thought.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sometimes i use a u-joint strap. Very strong and never had a problem using them. You can get them in just about any size you need at a good auto parts store.
Now there's a good idea. U-joint caps are made of some pretty tough stuff. They have to be. They'll certainly hold up to whatever a 2 stroke can put out and they can be smoothed and painted or even polished with the right compound and bench buffer.

The trick might be finding a parts counter man patient enough to look through his stock or let you do it. Today if you don't have the make model and year of the car most counter people can't find anything.

Tom

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
The trick might be finding a parts counter man patient enough to look through his stock or let you do it. Today if you don't have the make model and year of the car most counter people can't find anything.

Tom
Right? The auto parts store always tries to force out a make and model before they'll look.
"Yeah try Grubee Skyhawk 66cc and see what you find."

And Radioshack. RadioShack is a joke. They don't have the most basic techie gear.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, I went into an auto parts store for a Holley carb accelerator pump. The guy asked for the make model and year. I said, 1930 Ford 2 door sedan. He looked up from his computer with that deer-in-the-headlights look and said he didn't think he'd have what I needed. :)

The best part was that he couldn't find the part number on his computer. Right behind him hanging on pegboard was Holley parts and the pump I needed. I pointed to it and said, "I'll just take that one."

Tom

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i went to the local honda motorcycle shop that i've been going to for 40 years... the parts guy didn't know what points were, not a clue,

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i went to autozone and asked for a NGK B7HS plug. guy asked me what kinda car, and i said it doesn't matter, i just want a couple plugs.

his computer doesn't list the plug by the number, but by the car. he spent 5 minutes trying to find it on his computer, and then asked me "do you know what it looks like?"

i said "it looks like a spark plug."

he finally let me go in the back and look at the shelf fulla NGK's, and it took me 2 seconds to find them. it wasn't hard, because it said "B7HS" right on the box.

the problem is autozone has their own part numbering system. there was a 10 digit sticker on the shelf to tell them what it fits.

i don't go to autozone for anything more than carb cleaner these days...

XShark

Jul 10, 2013
Pensacola,Fl.
Because they do not employ car people anymore in auto parts store. They just want to sell accessories or they have now gone to putting in whole shelves of candy. :(

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I agree about parts stores! I shop at O'reilly most of the time. The guys in there are pretty patient with me.
Back on the subject of mounts.
I am still working on my first bike. Mostly fine tuning at this point, but noticed the cast aluminum bracket was snapped in half today. I took a pic. Then I replaced it with the steel one that was originally provided. I am not sure what could go wrong with the steel one, but I did like someones comment about replacing the studs with Allen bolts. I will be doing that soon now.
I attached pics of the broken aluminum bracket and the stock replacement steel bracket that I fortunately had laying around.
In case anyone notices, it looks like there is light between my motor mount and the frame, but that is a reflection off of the shim that I had to use on my steel road bike frame. You might also notice that I had to double up the distance from the frame to the motor. That is because of the size of the frame. It was the only way to get the motor high enough in the V to work with the rear of the frame and chain clearance.

Attachments

Last edited: