After market parts.

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
i am reading a lot of comments that have to do mostly with after market exhaust and carburetors, now i have a factory exhaust and same for carburetor, what are the better upgrades for my 48cc that wont break the bank. i don't want to go over board with this.

Reactions: indian22

JakeTheSnake

Aug 31, 2019
Port Clinton, Ohio
If not breaking the bank is your goal, I would recommend to you what I did for an exhaust. I purchased the cheapest expansion chamber available on Amazon. (It's like $20 i think). When I put it on my bike I noticed a considerable difference in torque, and got a couple mph boost to my top speed. Only downside is the thing was SO LOUD!!! (Let me preface this by saying I'm not an expert, don't hack your stuff up without a plan). I took the stock exhaust from one of my bikes and chopped it up, making a makeshift silencer for the expansion chamber. Had to play with the baffle length a bit, and the length of the exhaust manifold as well. But it works well, it's quiet, and gives the engine that boost we all crave.
I'm most DEFINITELY not a carburetor expert either, always learning. But one thing I know for certain is that having a well tuned carb is more important than having a nice new flashy one. Many people on this forum swear by the stock NT carburetor.
Unfortunately for you a high compression head is probably not a possibility. I've scoured the internet looking for an aftermarket head for a 49cc, and I regret to inform you that there is no such unicorn. (Not when I was looking last year anyway). Your best bet would be to get your self a second stock head, a Dremel, flat piece of glass, and some sandpaper, and go to work on it. There are tutorials everywhere. And your doing it on an extra head, so if you screw up.... Who cares? There like $10 bucks a pop.
I hope this helps, good luck on your quest for speed, but my ultimate advise would be just break down and buy a 66cc engine. That's what I did.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I agree with you Jake the NT well tuned works fine with basically stock motors and after market parts for the 50cc are few. but a decent x-chamber is a good addition that mainly adds low end torque on most of the typical designs marketed for these small engines. On the 50cc the common performance upgrades are jug porting and head work and port timing adjustments with base gaskets. Go easy on raising compression too high when milling the head, some is good but taken too far it's actually counter productive. Piston ramping at both the exhaust and intake side along with shortening the piston skirt for weight reduction is a common mod as well. All these things just require your time and patience and not $$ with the exception of the x-pipe. Research how each of these mods are done first...then decide if it's worth the effort. Jakes right about the 66cc engine being a quicker and easier route to power...just buy it, but this is a hobby and there is great satisfaction to doing it yourself.

Rick C.

Reactions: JakeTheSnake