Advice on modifying an aluminum flashlight to run on white wire

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think I understand this correctly, but help me if I am wrong. I have a 50 led aluminum flashlight that I would like to modify a bit to run off the white wire, mostly for a cleaner look. I am eventually going to rebuild/repaint my bike and im trying to get away from the rat rod look as much as possible. first off, I have a brake light that is actually an old turn signal and the body of the light is metal. being metal, its automatically grounded by being bolted to my luggage rack. this is where i got the idea for the headlight. I was thinking that if the light can be mounted solid to the frame, its automatically grounded? then I could just make my white wire longer and solder it to the light's positive terminal? would this work (at least in theory) or am I missing something? the light is 150 lumen and plenty bright enough for my needs, runs on 4 AA batteries.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
It will work if the wattage is right. That is how I did my first light. The motor wouldn't run with the light on so I had to switch bulbs till I found one that would work. Just keep experimenting and you'll get it to work. Not sure about the LED's.........

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
so, because the light is made of aluminum, its automatically grounded as long as its touching the frame, right? simple way to test it is splice into the white wire to make it longer, start the bike, touch the light to the frame and the wire to the terminal, and try to turn it on. if it kills the engine, then its drawing too much current and I dont need to attempt a permanent modification of the light. but im right about the light being grounded by touching the frame?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
figured out how and where im gonna mount the light. I have some 1" wide flat aluminum stock to make a bracket out of, and Im gonna mount it on top of my handlebar stem. now its just a matter of getting it done. the light is ready to go.