A couple briggs style bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Motormaker

Aug 6, 2008
North Central Indiana
I told you guys and gal's I had another briggs bike to show you. Sorry It took so long. I know this one is a little different. And I know this is a motor only bike. So don't buck and snort about no pedals and such. Any way here it is.

It started life as a 20 inch aluminum frame bmx/stunt bike.

I added a 5 1/2 hp honda clone engine. And a couple of 4.10/3.50-5 wheels from northern tool.The top speed is 26 mph. However it is geared low. With 5.5 hp faster speeds are easy with a simple change of sprocket.

The trick piece is the swivel between the motor assembly and the bike.

This one is a lean to turn affair as well. It is an odd feeling to lean a trike and keep all three tires on the tarmac. When you are riding it "feels" like there are only two wheels. If you were to leave the pedal cranks intact it could be returned to a fully functional bicycle in a few min. There were no frame mod's at all. If you want to turn heads this will do it.

Last edited:

carbman

May 19, 2008
motormaker you come up with some cool motorized bikes. nice work . can we see photos of the secound bikes drive and mounting system. thanks carbman.

Motormaker

Aug 6, 2008
North Central Indiana
Sure, Carbman
It needs to be cleaned up for paint. Perhaps this winter.

The stub axles are 3/4-inch bolts with the heads removed.

I figure the rear wheel mounting area is designed to be the strongest part of the whole bike. So that was my mounting point. The front mount didn't have to be as strong because of the leverage of the bracket itself. The original kickstand plate was plenty strong for this purpose.

The motor plate is 1/4-inch steel. The swivel is under the engine near the axle. It consists of a 3/4-inch bolt and a 3/4 inch "double nut". The wheelbase of the bike lengthens and shortens as you lean left and right. This distance is so slight it cannot be seen or felt by the rider.

With the exception of the bolts scrap steel was used. It will pull nice hole shots with heavy riders. Lighter riders can do burn-outs quite easily.

Last edited:

Motormaker

Aug 6, 2008
North Central Indiana
That's what I should have said when the local police asked me kindly to "take that thing home" or face a hefty tow bill and a nice ticket...... Excuse me officer, I am busy redefined a sport here. He He;)

rkbonds

Oct 18, 2008
Huntsville, Alabama
Awesome builds I'm not sure which one I like better. The trike would be even better if there was a way to still pedal. Either way congrats on the cool builds.

Motormaker

Aug 6, 2008
North Central Indiana
No, just the trike

The pusher isn't exactly legal here. But I haven't got any static over it yet either. We have a 50cc limit in Indiana. The truth be told I probably could have got away with riding the trike. I was passing an SS Monte Carlo at 26 mph when I got stopped. Live and learn.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Both are nice builds. Clean. Purpose built. (^)

On the "Hole Shot" trike - that additional bar that appears welded to the chain ring and back to the seat stay. Is it just to lock the pedals forward or is there another reason for it to exist?

Ted

Last edited:

Motormaker

Aug 6, 2008
North Central Indiana
You’re right. If you don't modify the pedal cranks you don't need it. When I cut and welded the pedals I just reassembled it with the bearings intact. I need that bar to keep the pedals from swinging straight down.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
That's what I should have said when the local police asked me kindly to "take that thing home" or face a hefty tow bill and a nice ticket...... Excuse me officer, I am busy redefined a sport here. He He;)
That's good, you got an officer with some decency, as he warned you instead of trying to make things hard for you.