A Chain is only as good as...

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Whoever, I'll bet they were happy they had that piece of wire handy. And hopefully it was just to get them home and not meant as a permanant fix.

It reminds me of the pictures on the 'There, I fixed it' website.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
ok, i've actually done something similar.

waaaaay back when i lived in tucson, around 1980, we used to ride our bmx bikes all day, from one end of town to the other.

my buddy broke his masterlink about 10 miles from home, in the boonies, with no bike shops around.

it was the 2 piece design that you bend to snap the faceplate on. we found the faceplate, but the other part with the pins was mangled beyond repair.

after kicking rocks for awhile and throwing things around, we got the idea to use a simple key chain ring, threading part of it through the chain and the faceplate, and hammering on it with a rock to break off the extra wire parts.

it was slow going, and the chain fell off a few times, but we made it home...

he started carrying extra master links after that, while i removed mine completely.

that's probably where my hatred of master links stems from...:)

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Whoever, I'll bet they were happy they had that piece of wire handy. And hopefully it was just to get them home and not meant as a permanant fix.

It reminds me of the pictures on the 'There, I fixed it' website.

Tom
That's where it came from. I hit that site as part of my 'Morning Coffee' run on Sundays.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Red Green could fix or solve any problem!! I still watch his show on Friday evenings on PBS.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
after kicking rocks for awhile and throwing things around, we got the idea to use a simple key chain ring, threading part of it through the chain and the faceplate, and hammering on it with a rock to break off the extra wire parts.
When i was a 5-6 year old kid, I had a bike with a link out, I put one of those clasping key rings that used to come on bubble gum machine trinkets on the chain as a temporary master link.

It worked for awhile.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Red Green could fix or solve any problem!! I still watch his show on Friday evenings on PBS.
Saturday nite here, I don't miss an episode

I'm a man
But I can change
If I have to
I guess
ROFL
I loved the episode where he made it look like
he was peeling out in his van with fire extinguishers
Classic

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I used to watch Red Green nearly religiously.. his 'Wit and Wisdom' tour was hilarious.

I still think the most viable contraption I ever saw him 'build' was the elevator for the lodge out of an old phone booth, an old water heater tank, ropes, pulleys, a faucet and hoses. Fill the tank, the elevator went up. Drain it, and down it goes. Simple and effective. As long as you have a good place to attach the pulleys. ;)

He gets to that at around 5 and a half minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvWXfbiG2k

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Heavy-duty Diamond chain. Years of uneventful service. No worries here. (Now watch me go find some wood to knock on. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I used to watch Red Green nearly religiously.. his 'Wit and Wisdom' tour was hilarious.

I still think the most viable contraption I ever saw him 'build' was the elevator for the lodge out of an old phone booth, an old water heater tank, ropes, pulleys, a faucet and hoses. Fill the tank, the elevator went up. Drain it, and down it goes. Simple and effective. As long as you have a good place to attach the pulleys. ;)

He gets to that at around 5 and a half minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvWXfbiG2k

Holy scheinkies!! I think that Red just solved the mystery of the Egyptian pyramids......... They did have the Nile river close by.....lift the blocks and water the fields.....

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Yes, what if they built something like a giant engine hoist, and had massive ropes made of papyrus, they could lift and haul with a contraption like that.

I wonder if there is any archaeological (wow, I spelt that right?) evidence of logs lashed together?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Goodmorning, and let me begin by being the least popular guy here today. Red Green is, at best, only occasionally mildly humorous.
Your time would be much better spent building a gas-bike:)

I am dug in, and prepared for incoming... :eek: :D

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Goodmorning, and let me begin by being the least popular guy here today. Red Green is, at best, only occasionally mildly humorous.
Your time would be much better spent building a gas-bike:)

I am dug in, and prepared for incoming... :eek: :D
Some people have a sense of humor others don't. if your going to post something like this then maybe you should be willing to post a link to something
you might find funny, then we can gauge your response! and remember
age has a lot to do with it us old timers that grew up on shows like hee haw
have a different type of humor than those young un's who grew up on let's say
scooby doo or Power Rangers LOL
Different strokes man different strokes