99cc PREDATOR how many pulls for you to start ?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think you need to richen up the idle mixture. I have many small gas engines (four stroke) and they all start on one pull with the choke as long as it's above 40 degrees F. (except my snow blower, which starts on one pull even down to -15 F)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
3 or 4 pulls when cold is normal for both mine. They are set up sorta lean from the factory to meet emisson regs. The 99cc Preddys don't have idle mixture adjustment carbs.

I normaly need the choke to easily start with 1 pull when hot.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats about right with mine, takes a few pulls to wet it. Starts 1 pull warm. Mine has a fixed idle mixture setting. Its on the lean side, wont idle reliably until warm. Thats understandable as these were governed engines originally and were probably not intended to idle as low as we MBers like. The Lifans have a low speed mixture adjustment. The carbs that AGK sells for the HF engines looks like my Lifan carb, probably a good upgrade. Once set they start well and will almost(depending on temp) immediately idle well. Guess the EPA mandated the non adjustable carb, or maybe I got a Calif. only engine.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i was starting to feel like i had done something wrong.

when its nice and war one pull easy .

i always choke mine cold to get started then it has a little put put of life .

will be putting a iridum plug into it tonight who knows maybe that will help marginaly with starting .

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
It takes my Preddy 3-4 pulls with the choke full on to get it to come to life. I also have to be quick to lessen the choke to 3/4 once it turns over or it dies immediately. When its warm it will start with one pull. Im loving this engine on my bike plenty of torque, super smooth, and Im pulling about 130 MPG!!!

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
usually 2, occasionally 3 pulls with choke on when cold, after starts immediately take choke off. 1 pull when warm, choke on. from my experience these engines do not like to start without choke, even when hot.

i adjust the adjustment barrel screw on my thumb throttle a few turns when cold to make the idle a little higher, then after engine warms i put it in a few turns which makes the idle stop at the normal stop setting on the carb.

I've thought about adding threading in a small nipple in the intake and adding a primer to give it a little shot of fuel before starting, this works great on my rotax 582.

Last edited:

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
I've thought about adding threading in a small nipple in the intake and adding a primer to give it a little shot of fuel before starting, this works great on my rotax 582.[/QUOTE]

the primer bulb on my GEBE makes all the difrence one pull it fires right up if i dont hit the bulb 2 pulls .

if you do make one you will have let us now how it worked

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
My predator always starts with one pull. To start it, I apply the choke all the way, give it a little throttle on the handgrip, and give it one sharp pull. If I don't give it any throttle while startng it usually takes 2 to 3 pulls.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
i have to put the choke on, hold the throttle and give it a good pull, starts in 1-2 pulls on mine.

gotta pull the choke off as soon as it starts though, but that's not a problem.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Wow.....I didnt realize there were as many of us with Predators as there are....gotta lotta fabricating skills on this forum!....nice

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cold engine with choke one to two pulls. Choke off immediately. Warmed up. usually one pull with throttle, no choke. Love this engine.

I have a new 79cc Greyhound sitting on the shelf. It seems to me on the other Greyhound I had (sold the bike) it had a lean rich adjustment. Carbs look the same. I wonder if they are and can be swapped out.Anyone know?

My idle seems a little faster than I'd like, but haven't tried adjusting it yet. Any reason not to?
SB

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
was just thinking back to my sr 500 thumper yamaha that i have it has a kick indicator so you can gradualy move the cylidner to the honey spot becasue kick starting a 500cc thumper is no easy treat i got to thinking we need one for or little thumpers

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
was just thinking back to my sr 500 thumper yamaha that i have it has a kick indicator so you can gradualy move the cylidner to the honey spot becasue kick starting a 500cc thumper is no easy treat i got to thinking we need one for or little thumpers
Even with aligning that white indicator in the little round window, my XT500 has tried to send me over the bars a time or two.
The compression release makes life easier, but the small hand lever for it has been broken since I got the bike. :(

A decent indicator for any pull start engine is to slowly pull on the starter cord until you feel the piston come up on the compression stroke. Then retract the start cord back into the starter, slowly pull it back out until you feel the starter pawls engage, then pull hard for the win. If one does not let the starter pawls engage fully before pulling hard against them it will wear them out faster than necessary. Ever pull hard just to have the pawls slip on you? That can hurt alot! I once accidentally punched myself in the face doing just that. Live and learn...

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
Even with aligning that white indicator in the little round window, my XT500 has tried to send me over the bars a time or two.
The compression release makes life easier, but the small hand lever for it has been broken since I got the bike. :(
QUOTE]

this is where old bike parts come in handy i was able to get mine fixed with a old kids bike brake handle works fine and looks stock on the bike ive kicked mine to and gotten some air time

stuck at work right now but as soon as i get home im going to give these tricks a shot figure why not

ive got myself a few times pulling the cord to

luckly the predator has a rugged pull cord .