99cc and Torque Converter?

GoldenMotor.com

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Hello,
I have recently built a 99cc engine coupled with an AGK jackshaft transmission with a maxtorque clutch. I love this setup and it is working great right now. Unfortunately I was building this setup for someone else, and it is almost time to let it go. With that said, I need a replacement brnot

I would like to build another 99cc bike, but this time for myself. Basically, I was wondering what my options are for the transmission. It has to be relatively easy to hook up, as I have no access to any machining means.

Since I dont really want to do a friction drive, I know that I could do another agk jackshaft, but I was also looking into either doing a qmatic, or this (or any other torque converter that may work):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...K6tL48aZ7MFVBI939AJWc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Basically, some thoughts on a good transmission setup for this engine would be great!

Thanks

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That’s a good option and you will be happy, can't beat the price but that’s what you get from china. I think I have one from china with no issues yet. The 99cc should be fine and run it to a 55-60 tooth back sprocket. I have a 44 tooth on a 160cc and it lugs along at 45mph.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
That’s a good option and you will be happy, can't beat the price but that’s what you get from china. I think I have one from china with no issues yet. The 99cc should be fine and run it to a 55-60 tooth back sprocket. I have a 44 tooth on a 160cc and it lugs along at 45mph.
Is the #41 output sprocket of the torque converter in line with the rear sprocket? Can I just bolt it on, and connect a chain between the two sprockets? I couldn't tell from the photos...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Is the #41 output sprocket of the torque converter in line with the rear sprocket? Can I just bolt it on, and connect a chain between the two sprockets? I couldn't tell from the photos...
depends how you mount the motor

you SAY you built the other bike with a 99 just how did you mount that???

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
or build a jackshaft if you have enough room a few members have done this and also put a diskbrake on the jackshaft then alianment would not be an issue as you can move the sprockets to where they need to be

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
depends how you mount the motor

you SAY you built the other bike with a 99 just how did you mount that???
Somebody got a chip on their shoulder.

He wants to know if a torque converter output will align with the drive sprocket. And you SEEM to be interrigating him with the caps and the phrase.

One of the better manufacturers makes ones that has the output sprocket under the primary cover, and they neeed modification or a jackshaft to align the final drive sprockets.

The one on Ebay I think can be easily changed to the sprocket on the same side as the engine, and are easiest to get good alignment.
Don't know the quality of these. Thay sell so cheap that I suspect thet"re Chineese.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Kart-Car...25586?pt=Go_Karts&hash=item19cdbbe532&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
your kidding right?
I didn't think it sounded like a joke... I obviously know what off-set means, I was wondering if there is a mount that will allow me to offset the engine enough, as I dont think the the current mount:

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=2306&Category_Code=99cc

will give me enough room to scoot the engine over to the right enough to have a straight path from the CVT to the rear sprocket.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions... I'm new to this whole "kit-less" experience.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I didn't think it sounded like a joke... I obviously know what off-set means, I was wondering if there is a mount that will allow me to offset the engine enough, as I dont think the the current mount:

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=2306&Category_Code=99cc

will give me enough room to scoot the engine over to the right enough to have a straight path from the CVT to the rear sprocket.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions... I'm new to this whole "kit-less" experience.
No such thing as a dumb question. Some people like to make inexperienced ppl feel dumb though. It makes them feel smart.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Somebody got a chip on their shoulder.

He wants to know if a torque converter output will align with the drive sprocket. And you SEEM to be interrigating him with the caps and the phrase.

There are several different CVT manufactures. The smaller pocketbike ones are claimed by some to have probs. They also have a 5:1 gearbox built in that also reverses rotation from the engine.

One of the better manufacturers makes ones that has the output sprocket under the primary cover, and they neeed modification or a jackshaft to align the final drive sprockets.

The one on Ebay I think can be easily changed to the sprocket on the same side as the engine, and are easiest to get good alignment.
Don't know the quality of these. Thay sell so cheap that I suspect thet"re Chineese.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Kart-Car...25586?pt=Go_Karts&hash=item19cdbbe532&vxp=mtr
if there is so many companies why don't you name them for us besides the china knockoffs being sold on ebay. If the OP would have made his own brackets to mount the motor he would have learned what offsetting a motor does to the alignment of sprockets and chainline. Oh and SPELLCHECK does wonders!!

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
if there is so many companies why don't you name them for us besides the china knockoffs being sold on ebay. If the OP would have made his own brackets to mount the motor he would have learned what offsetting a motor does to the alignment of sprockets and chainline. Oh and SPELLCHECK does wonders!!
Not sure why I would make my own bracket to hold the engine when AGK sells a nice one that is pre-built to work perfectly with the jackshaft.

Once again, you dont get my question... But you gave me a nice obvious answer again. Haha, please don't post in my thread anymore... Your damn annoying.

Your not living your life as if it was your last day...

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
LOL...I spelled it out for you even posted a picture but hey if you still don't get it best of luck to ya bud
Lol, I understood if before you posted anything. My question was NEVER what it means to offset the engine. Rather, if there are any engine mounts that will work with the 99cc bolt pattern that will allow it to BE offset the proper amount.

I suggest you read the original question first next time a little more carefuly, figure out if you can offer any help, and if you can't, refrain from posting obnoxious and useless messages.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I offset my 2 preddys pretty easily. All you need is a hacksaw and a hand drill and 2 short pieces of 1/4 x 1, or wider steel to save weight. A rectangular plate will do too.
1 1/2 wide steel will allow you to reach the holes already in the clamp on mount's plate.
Discard the mount plate that comes with the engine.

If you can tap the straps to accept the bolts , it is easy to just install short bolts from the bottom.

After studying and measuring and marking some, drill and bolt the plate/ straps to the engine with 5/16-20 bolts.. The straps mount side to side.

Now, drill holes in the straps/plate to match holes in the mount to get your offset. Might hafta drill for different bolts in the clamp on mount.

Use 1/4 bolts into the engine mount. Use 5/16 nuts on the bolts as spacers between the plate and engine mount, for cleaance of the engine bolts.
Not hard stuff to figure out. Go for it, nothing better hands on to learn the skills.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
who makes a mount for a custom build....YOU DO
what you think they make mounts to fit every motor to every bicycle ever built
the 99cc pred motor was never intended to be bolted into the frame of a bicycle that is the fact. There are non kit builds and are called just that because you may have to modify or make parts or use parts that were never intended to be used the way you will need to use them. That is where some get the most enjoyment from this hobby. You have to be willing to look at the problem and see what you can do to fix it.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL, Yea, I know how to spell OK but I make a lotta typos. I don't care so much about spelling, as I do about tryin' to help the people intrerested in what I have to say.

Evvybody liks me anywae well, almost everbody :~)