98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Curt. I had watched that one before and still don't have a clear understanding of what is going on. Isn't it a bump start via the pedals?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Nice. I really like the girder forks and have been looking around for something that would fit my bike or at least would look in proportion. I bought a transmission that should solve a few issues for me. Three speed Albion with a kickstarter and clutch. Pretty rusty but from what I can tell it's salvageable. It's an eBay purchase and I'm anxiuos for it to get here. This is a screen grab from the ad:
image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Harold,
I recall seeing a 3 speed Albion gearbox that Fasteddy has, but don't remember how much it is like yours. I was impressed with how robust and well made it was. He might be able to tell you more about what you've purchased. I hope you can get it working. Three speeds linked to that 98CCs should make a fine combination. Vroom...
SB

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks SB. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it can be brought back to serviceable and maybe even shine a bit. One challenge will be finding gaskets and hardware. I purchased this on eBay from a gentleman in the UK and shipping at a reasonable cost has been a trick. The seller has shipped but it could be another couple of weeks before I have it in hand. Perhaps it will be warm enough in the garage to start tinkering again by the time it gets here.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The transmission I purchased from Dave was a Hurth made in Germany. It was behind a 200cc Villiers engine in a German motorcycle of unknown manufacture from the 1920's. If you Goggle Albion transmissions there is a fairly strong supply chain for them in the U.K. since they were used in motorcycles and light agricultural equipment.

It seems that they were a good transmission and held up well. Here is a link to a parts catalog.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...s.html&usg=AFQjCNFaRhIR97rW3kPNqxcXdTaGWmenPw

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
The transmission I purchased from Dave was a Hurth made in Germany. It was behind a 200cc Villiers engine in a German motorcycle of unknown manufacture from the 1920's. If you Goggle Albion transmissions there is a fairly strong supply chain for them in the U.K. since they were used in motorcycles and light agricultural equipment.

It seems that they were a good transmission and held up well. Here is a link to a parts catalog.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...s.html&usg=AFQjCNFaRhIR97rW3kPNqxcXdTaGWmenPw

Steve.
Thanks for the link. I'll wait to get the gearbox in hand and start matching things up. Should be soon. Tracking has it in Ohio as of today. Have you built the Hurth into a MB? If so how did you go about mounting it? What about the drive chain?

I'm considering using the bottom bracket on the bike for a jackshaft setup to drive the rear wheel on the right side. No pedals.

Also found this while surfing: http://www.barnstormers.co.nz/?s=Albion&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
We had a spring teaser here yesterday with temps in the 50's so I spent a few hours in the garage. My frame is back from having the down tube welded in and it looks great. I will need the extra space afforded by the down tube since the exhaust points straight forward on the Villiers. That little engine is pretty heavy so having it low in the frame and close to the bottom bracket should help make the bike handle decent. There's not enough space to squeeze the Albion in between the engine and the seat tube so it will need to go between the seat tube and the back wheel. Space might be an issue so either the frame gets extended or I look for 24" wheels. Maybe both.
The next one step forward, two steps back thing is the fork and headset. The Sears frame has the head tube lugs extending inside the head tube. I'm guessing this was a cost thing to keep it cheap when it as made but the flanges in the head tube interfere with the 1-1/8" fork. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new fork and headset. Good thing this nice weather isn't here's to stay or I'd be getting anxious about progress. While it's still cold I don't mind spending my tinkering time on the Internet.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
We had a spring teaser here yesterday with temps in the 50's so I spent a few hours in the garage. My frame is back from having the down tube welded in and it looks great. I will need the extra space afforded by the down tube since the exhaust points straight forward on the Villiers. That little engine is pretty heavy so having it low in the frame and close to the bottom bracket should help make the bike handle decent. There's not enough space to squeeze the Albion in between the engine and the seat tube so it will need to go between the seat tube and the back wheel. Space might be an issue so either the frame gets extended or I look for 24" wheels. Maybe both.
The next one step forward, two steps back thing is the fork and headset. The Sears frame has the head tube lugs extending inside the head tube. I'm guessing this was a cost thing to keep it cheap when it as made but the flanges in the head tube interfere with the 1-1/8" fork. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new fork and headset. Good thing this nice weather isn't here's to stay or I'd be getting anxious about progress. While it's still cold I don't mind spending my tinkering time on the Internet.
Yep weather was great 65 over here...back to winter today. Have you seen the fork in Labrats Jonny 5 post. It's like the Ruff fork but cheaper. You would have to check details but it's another option.