5000+ mile trip!!

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
JON

Good for you, now you have that settled. Everyone is pretty satisfied with that engine, have two with the built in clutch and one like you just purchased not installed yet. the clutch models are great in a cvt rack and and a shifter bike. The HS Titan in the shifter bike has torque, makes me snile when riding it

Ron

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
going through the process of ordering some wheels, i'm going with some wheel master wheels (they are having stock issues with the works-man) from pirate cycles laced on a CB110 rear and a Sturmey Archer X-FD front drum with either 11 or 12 gauge spokes, i forgot now. i am getting the rear sprocket hub adapter to ensure its true. i need suggestions for a strong frame for this bad boy, are there any frames in particular that i should be considering? i know i see allot of these types of setups on the newer Schwinn beach cruisers, are they doing that just because they are cheap? i'm not looking for the cheapest frame possible, but i'm not exactly made of money either. Felt bikes are up there in price a bit but what do you guys think? all i need is a frame, i'm going to put a spring-er on the front and i have my wheels, i have a wide pedal crank as well.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
i know i see allot of these types of setups on the newer Schwinn beach cruisers, are they doing that just because they are cheap?
Yes. What other reason would there be?

i'm not looking for the cheapest frame possible, but i'm not exactly made of money either. Felt bikes are up there in price a bit but what do you guys think? all i need is a frame, i'm going to put a spring-er on the front and i have my wheels, i have a wide pedal crank as well.
Buying new can be tough but Workman, Felt and Livestrong are a few names that come up. There are others. It's a matter of budget. I think you have your mind made up on a cruiser style bike with a certain look and that's out of my area of interest so I hope others chime in but generally I always have done better buying used, quality steel frames in decent shape that were expensive in their day but run about what you'd pay for a department store brand.

Last edited:

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
anyone know anything about grubees new frame? the GT2S-A? it has an in frame tank and everything, it says made to motorize. i suppose this is what is replacing the GT1 and GT2, can anyone vouch for grubees frames?

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
soooo, i found my frame, its a Jamis Earth Cruiser from the 80's, it should hold up well. i mean, its taken how much abuse so far?

on the other hand i found that i can get a bare felt frame for 300 and i can get a keg style gas tank from coyote gear for about 150. soooo

i can either buy new and have a for sure sturdy frame but pay a price or i can use this old Jamis frame and hope it holds up.

i like my safety, i also like my money....

to be honest, i will probably try the earth cruiser and if i don't feel right on it i will go with the felt.

i want to save money, but i also want a dependable vehicle, and since i already put about 800 into the bike, why not use the best i can get right?

idk, i'm just batting stuff around, figured i would share..

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Whatever you get Jon make sure it fits you, right size means a lot on a long ride.
The vintage Jamis were good bikes, strong steel frames and big from triangles to fit your in-frame. They were the first of the modern era beach cruisers. IIRC that model came in a 3 speed internal geared hub and later a 5 speed cassette w/a front caliper and rear drum. I think you said you were ordering new wheels so all you'd have to service is the BB and headset. I'm not sure what you're doing with brakes but at least a rear caliper would be a darn good addition also. If you decide to go vintage, look the frame over well for rust, dings and check the welds. It's probably ok but doesn't hurt to check. If and when you have a vintage steel frame stripped down is the best time to treat the interior of the frame tubes with a rust inhibitor. There are commercial sprays available like Frame Saver but I have a cheap homemade recipe if you want it. BTW, new doesn't always mean better/stronger, a lot of older bikes fall into the classic "they don't build them like that anymore" description. Whatever you chose good luck with it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great thread!
NO WAY could I do a 5k trip! lol

I strongly agree with CB2 abt simplicity.
nothing wrong with a friction drive... plenty of stores along a 5k route to buy new tires as necessary. they are cheaper than chains!

and I also agree with a single-track trailer...

Seems no one has mentioned putting the power unit in the trailer???

...I would advise front suspension and the biggest sofa you can get on the post!
and a windshield is not a bad idea either for any long run.

Good luck to you
rc

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Yeah, I like the look of the frame and once "dressed up" it would look real nice. Its pretty light too.

I would be replacing literally everything on it and I have a chance to strip and paint it if I want.

You said to use a rust inhibitor on the inside of the frame?

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Indeed simplicity would be good on a trip like this but I want all the power that the EZM will give me.

I dont really like the concept of pusher trailers really, never have, they always looked a little dangerous.

Hmmm, a windscreen? I must look into that!

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
its been a while i know, but my wheels came in the mail today! so now i am just going to wait for this exam week to be over (if i can) and devote a whole day to this EZMotorbike build. i am going to put it on that earth cruiser. i would rather not disassemble the bike like that, but hey, if the frame is as strong as i hope it is, it will be worth it.

when i do get a day to do it i will have a friend with me who will be taking photos... lots of photos... perhaps a few videos too so be on the lookout for this, i might just start a build thread for it. keep the two topics separate ya know?

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
omg, i am sooo sorry guys... looooong time without an update so here it goes....

bikes done! (mostly, really its never done, lol) (pics in next post) couldn't get pics of the build. (sadness) but i do have pics of it in general.

moving onward, no longer leaving too soon, turns out Emilie doesn't want me or anyone else at her BMT graduation so i no longer have a time frame or goals. the trip has gone from get here, get there, get home to get somewhere and go as i please at whatever pace i want, lol. seriously, imma hit up the keys and then i have no idea what i am going to do... (suggestions are appreciated, although i do not like the cold)

that being said, i took a 150 mile round trip to Manns Harbor the other day to meet up with Mr. Guenther. its always a pleasure visiting him. i gave him my dealer paperwork and bought a flex pipe from him. (more on that later) the point of that story is that it was a very cold ride. if getting there is half the fun then i don't wanna go to the keys when its cold outside. sooooo...

trip is postponed until warmer weather! that will also give me plenty of time to ensure the road worthiness of my setup (which still isn't done yet)

i have done allot to this ole bike and i truly wish that i had gotten pics and vids along the way. i made mistakes, of course, but i learned from them, and that's what really matters..

i think that the easiest way to make sense of my bike and everything is if i make a video, soooo,i may do that at some point.... like, soon... lol...

also, i cant really describe in a picture how that flex pipe sounds! it actually sounds like i am riding something more than a motorized bicycle, its more of a motorbike sound, lol...

regardless, im happy with the EZMotorbike kit and it performed quite well on that trip. nothing went wrong at all... aaaaand, i hit 42 mph going down a bridge rise with a tail wind! of course, i only cruise on average of anywhere between 28 and 34 depending on wind and such. it has lots of power and i am happy with it, although, i may go to a 62 tooth sprocket, i cant help but think that that would help both my takeoffs and my top speed....

oh, and i got pulled over!!!! it was after dark and i was heading back from Manns Harbor and a cop got me. he said i was pulled over for not having turn signals.... he wanted me to get someone to pick me up! he just kinda slapped my wrist and let me go, but still... he said if i highway patrolman had gotten me i woulda gotten a ticket for sure!

anyways, sorry i have not updated in like forever, i have just been soooo busy with life and work and the bike and all that i honestly forgot. but there will be more to come for sure! in fact imma go out and take pics right now!

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
totally just made a 40 min long vid about the bike and all, allot of it is just me stammering and trippin over my words and all but whatever, should be up soon....ish....

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
soooo, i couldn't get em up here, they're too big and i decided to make an album for them, there's only 10, but they're good ones! video will be up sometime, i gotta edit and and upload and all but expect a youtube link tomorrow sometime.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
stupid files and lengths and formats.... i COULD fix it all, but i wont... imma re-shoot it tomorrow sometime when its not raining and this time make sure no part is over 10 mins long so i don't have to do any of this stuff.... grrr..

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Great post! All should read if serious. I like the actual design of this build http://thirstybike.org

I'm glad you took my comments above in the spirit they were intended. You are contemplating a trip of far outside average proportions and while it is doable and could be a terrific adventure it is also well within the parameters for misery and discomfort to be unwelcome and constant travel companions. I'd suggest doing as much research as you can and certainly don't leave out the pedal bicycle touring sites, in a very real sense you'll find more specific info there about touring and routes than the motor biking sites. One among many is: America's Bicycle Travel Inspiration & Resource - Adventure Cycling Association

And then there's this guy: http://thirstybike.org/, 15,000 mile trip planned with a Robin35 and Staton shift kit

Average putting around motorized biking is one thing, pedal bicycle touring is another. Motorized bike touring is different still and an endeavor in large part unexplored with not of a lot of solid, experienced, info to go around.

I mention this because much of the info or advice garnered off of the web will pertain to areas of interest that you have adapt to your own needs. Generally motored bikes are made with little concern about how they pedal, are heavy, many are concerned only with how fast they'll go and they are often constrained by constant tinkering and parts failure and thus most don't put many sustained miles on them in a continuous run like in touring. They are used primarily for putting around locally within striking distance of home base for fixing when needed. Heading out on the open road is another matter.

The folks I know who do self-contained distance motorized bicycle touring don't seem to frequent the forums much but the best piece of advice I've seen lately came from WileyDavis who does extreme touring and does comes around on occasion:

Best piece of advice you can get right there and it's good that it seems to fit your outlook as I read you mention pedaling cadence. Too many I believe think unrealistically that a motorized bicycle is going to do it all for them.

Get a bike that you are comfortable on, one that is both fits you and you like to pedal because that's the basic idea with a self-contained touring motorized bicycle. If not a small motorcycle or scooter would be a better bet.

More random thoughts for further conversation and dialog in no particular order

Weight is the enemy of the distance tourer. Consider well what you can do and do without. Saving a few ounces here, a pound there adds up because ultimately it becomes a power to weight ratio equation. If you have belongings you want but won't need on the trip until the other end, consider shipping them freight.

I've done thousands of miles of pedal bicycle touring and more recently over past 4 years gotten into power assisted bikes. We did a tour on motorized bicycles on the coast of Maine this summer, 380 miles one way planned route, ended up a bit over 800 miles round trip with side travel.

Wheels, can't say enough about it and the first thing I would say is invest in good wheels with adequate gauge spokes with quality hubs and maintain them meticulously, I had a bearing race go bad on a rear wheel this trip because I didn't.

Tires and tubes, use the best you can afford. I also use tire liners and thorn proof tubes. 800 miles and no flats, a first.

Trailer, don't know what you have in mind but I love the single wheel I have. It's the Bob style knock-off from Nashbar I picked up used for $50 and reworked the hitch it and swapped out the wheel with an upgrade. A trailer flag is a pretty darn good addition.

Fuel is heavy, depending how well planned your route and daily mileage will determine how much you need to carry and what size tank(s).

Lighting. There's no end what you can spend on quality bicycle lighting but minimum for daytime travel I wouldn't go without a multi-mode red in the rear and white nano strobe in front. If you are going to do ANY night riding then serious upgrades need to be considered.

A center kickstand is a great asset on a touring bike, especially with cargo.

Travel tools. There are some adequate multi-tools though generally I don't care for them. They are convenient without a lot of weight but still I prefer to put together my own minimalist kit with a eye toward size and weight but that do just about anything on a bike up to complete overhaul.

One further thought before I forget it.....though I like friction drives for many uses I have been of the mind they weren't the best for touring. The chances of encountering wet weather in some locales doing extended touring is high. The inverse of that is long days of hot weather which can speed tire wear and transfer a lot of heat to bearings and engine crankshaft. That said, it should be noted that one of the long ride guys I mentioned above who doesn't frequent forums much has, for himself anyway, certainly put some of that to rest. He's done mega tours up the continental divide (in obvious dry climates) from New Mexico to Idaho and back on a friction drive/Robin 35 bike (no trailer) and had a great time with it.

Best of luck and ride safe.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
AGREED!

That is indeed a good presentation of potential in long distance riding.

NOW is probably the best time to get all the ducks in a row in preparation for the next bicycle season. :)

Best
rc

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I actually want to do a cross-canada trip to show it can be done for almost no money (comparitively to a car). thats why I wanted to get my china girl running up to 70 kph at least. I'll be buying high grade SKF bearings and prepping the motor alot before I embark on such a trip. Basically vibration reduction (truing the crank, lightening the piston, etc.), good bearings (SKF rated to 35,000 RPM), 2" or wider airless tires (they're $80 a set but no risk of flats), high grade chain (I think people mention a #41 from an industrial supply store), etc. the only thing I'm really wondering about is even after doing all that and modding the motor to do 70 (reeds, expansion pipe, 36T sprocket or smaller, perhaps even a shift kit, though I dont like adding more parts that could potentially fail, RT carb, jag CDI, porting, etc.), I'm wondering about 2 things: reliability, and what to take with me. I should probably take some spare jets and different range spark plugs. airless tires should eliminate the need to carry spare tires. I have side bags and I dont plan on doing anything outside of what I can afford with cash/banking. The only things I can really think of that I'd need are the jets and plugs, chain/bearing lube (for the wheels), a small first aid kit, a small tool kit hand picked specifically for the motor (e.g. 10mm wrench, 14mm socket, phillips and flat head screwdrivers) with spare parts, and a small jerry can (for mixing and reserve).

Of course thats just the motor, the bike itself will also be vastly different (hunched over for 6000km would be ridiculously uncomfortable). I'll be getting an entirely different frame to start (to make repairs easier, as well as lighter... the mongoose creekside is a 40-50lb beast, and the curve in the frame means I have to take the whole motor off to take the cylinder off), different rims, disc brakes, a different gas tank (depending on the frame style, it'll either be the 1 gallon teardrop to maximize distance, or the semi-wide flat-top board track racer style so I can lay my body on it to cut through the wind easier, and not have to put unneeded strain on my body), different handlebars (again depends on the style of frame I go with), front suspension at least will be a must (my Next Challenger [first motorized bicycle I built] was a hardtail with a solid fork, the ride was amazingly responsive and could feel every bit of the road, but uncomfortable as **** going 45kph).

Now I'd prefer to do this with the china girls as they're cheap, and easy to work on, but I'm wondering if even after improving the bearings and reducing vibration, if it would even make it 6000km in one go for 8 hours at a time. I'd be jetting slightly rich as well as a good oil/fuel ratio and combination to help keep things lubricated and cool. The whole point of me doing this is for two reasons: I want to explore more (the most I've ever seen of the world is literally a straight line between Regina, SK, and Calgary, AB). And I want to see if going cross-country is feasible for less than $1000 (at 120mpg I estimate around 37.5 gallons, at $1.35/litre would equate to about $192 in gas)

By my calculations, the total cost will be as follows:
Grubee GT5-a = $170
Bicycle meeting specification = $50-150 used
Plugs, oil, lube, etc. = $50
Tires = $80
Jag CDI = $80
RT Carb = $45
Expansion Pipe = $90
replacement parts = $50
Gas = $200
------------------------
total = $915
excitement = epic

I know alot of you four strokers or people with bad experiences with the china girls are going to say "no, go for a morini, or a 4-stroke", but as I said I want to see if it can be done for under $1000, and as far as I can tell, 4 stroke kits start at $300, and of course the Morini would cost me a whole lot more, not just in the build, but I assume gas too). I'm basically looking for people who have had little to no issues with the china girls to see if it's even remotely possible. I had no issues with either of mine for over 500km up until I ported the cylinder/cut the piston and set the power band too high.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
It looks like you're forgetting the price of all your spare parts too. You need to almost double that for spare chains, CDI, plugs, carb, maybe a spare engine, etc.

I know you don't want to hear it, but a new Honda 50cc 4-stroke will cost you less in the long run, be more reliable, and last longer.

That's JMHO, and I hope you can really do this. It sounds like a great adventure.