4cycle, build, i need a engine kit. 4g or normal.

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I feel your pain. I've been waiting a month and a half for mine. I was hoping to have my bike ready for the death race on 4/16. Terry from BlowByYou said he would let me know asap when they come in.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I got one from BGF. I'm not happy with the crummy little chain reduction they come with.
Single row#25 chain, and the 3.25 ratio is too tall. I bought a 56 tooth sprocket tp replace the kit supplied 44 tooth. Still too tall, shoulda bought a 60 tooth. Gotta pedal to take off, and it tops out too fast, about 42mph.

I converted ithe chainbox to oil bath pretty successfuly. The bearings fit kinda loose in the too lightweight housing, and was allowing oil to leak into the clutch until I bedded the bearings in silicone,and drilled a weep hole in the bottom of the clutch compartment.

Ran good like this for about 200 miles, no chain wear at all , with the oil bath.

The clutch started chattering and killing the engine at the low idle I'm using.

Turns out that the housing around the clutch bell bearing is too light, and was wallowed out.
I cleaned it up and bedded the bearings in JB weld, and filled in around the bearing boss too.
Time will tell how long this will last.

THe BGF kit is a good deal though, great little motor , just buy a good tranny for it and you'll be happy. I bought my kit on sale at Christmass, for$183.
I think you can still get a Grubee box for around$100.

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
humm, thanks for the warning. i do have little options at hand, if i could find a 4g kit for around 350 ill buy it, but there not going to be here for a wile...:(

i wonder if DAX is going to be coming out with his in-frame 4cycle kit soon?

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
I've been trying to find a 4g transmission for my hs but now I guess that's going to take awhile. I guess I'll just use my hoot trans for my first 4 stroke build and replace it with a 4g when they are available.

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
Yeah, I think the 4g might well be the way to go, but I can't get one and I do have a new hoot gearbox on hand. Maybe I'll get lucky and get decent service out of it while I wait for the 4g supplies to come in.

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
i built a BGF 4cycle ebay kit for my brother for xmiss, and he has almost 100hours on it and is it working fine, pretty good compared to my 2cycles that ive had in the past... IDK maybe that gearbox isnt to bad, but the 4g is better....

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
Well I'm going to give it a try. Spring is finally coming here to the midwest and I'm going to have to ride soon!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I know you want a 4G so maybe this isn't the best advice, but for around the same price after all the effort you'll go through, you could buy an EZ transmission and an HF engine. Just a thought.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Since when did we start talking about two or more? Talk to some of the EZ dealers here, they are very nice, helpful people who will do everything in their power to help you build instead of robbing you blind :)

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
Since when did we start talking about two or more? Talk to some of the EZ dealers here, they are very nice, helpful people who will do everything in their power to help you build instead of robbing you blind :)
well i have a little money to invest so y not build 2-3 of them. sell some and build some of them same or better...i will be talking to some of the EZ dealers and also DAX to see when he might have a 4 cyc inframe kit...

all options on the table.shft.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have a Dax Super Titan and his $40 gear box. 3.25:1 ratio. I'm a buck & a half and i just give crank or two of the pedals and I'm off & running. I have almost 100 miles on it right now and I'm really happy with it. Starts right up & runs like a bat out of ****. 56 tooth sprocket is very fast, I'm glad I got rid of the 40t. It was a good compromise between a BGF on the low side and an EZ on the high (cost wise).

The super Titan with this gearbox will want to sit out on the right side a bit in order for the sprockets to line up, you might have to drill an adapter plate to mount it.

Lots of torque, I would definately get the Manic Mechanic hub adapter!

Attachments

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
so i have a kit, a creepy one i won by chance on ebay.

but i also got a hub from BGF.

but the holes on the hub are way large, does anyone know where i can get spokes for this? because my local bike shop cant find them...

here is another pic

Attachments

Last edited: