49cc generator

GoldenMotor.com

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
OK, I finally have an alternator design that I am happy with. Here are two links to youtube videos I've uploaded.
YouTube - abikerider's Channel
YouTube - abikerider's Channel
I am very happy with the amount of light output using an LED light from dealextreme. It also now has a protective metal cover and is very compact in its design. Now I need some people to test it on their bikes. I also am not sure if the mounting bracket will be the same on the Honda engine and the tapered shaft Huasheng so if someone wants to try it out and has one of these engines that would be great. I would sell it for testing purposes at cost.

Right now I have it connected directly to the head and tail lights and the voltage stays within a reasonable range so no rectifier and regulator is needed unless you want to charge a battery. I do plan on trying a simple regulator design where the tail light and battery are driven by a rectifier and regulator but the headlight stays wired directly to the alternator. This seems like the best setup for having the brightest headlight possible.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looking good! That's what has been missing with these four strokes, a good lighting system. What voltage is that putting out? I have sent you a PM regarding being a test pilot.
SB

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I run a 10/10w front head/high beam light, 5/5w for rear brake/tail light, 5w blinkers and a 12v horn, would this supply enough power for me? If so, I would be interested.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Sorry, but the most output I've measured from it is 8 watts so unless you want to change over to more efficient LED lighting then I would recommend finding a different generator/alternator with at least 25 watts output.

I run a 10/10w front head/high beam light, 5/5w for rear brake/tail light, 5w blinkers and a 12v horn, would this supply enough power for me? If so, I would be interested.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I'm still getting quotes for machining the parts but I should have an idea of how much it will cost soon. I've been taking care of other things lately. If there proves to be a big enough demand I will start designing one for the greyhound engine as well.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Abikerider
I think my Felt Slater would be a great test subject I would love one .....
Thanks Flex Man
Also I have a complete metal fabricating shop no milling equip..But everything
else...if I can help out it would be my pleasure.............

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well guys, I bought a pair of suzuki lighting coils for 8 bucks each on ebay today. I have NO IDEA about the volts, watts, or amps on them, but I'll just have to test and see :) I am going to install both of them on my HF greyhound, wired in series and just machine down one end so it hugs the curve of the flywheel. Only thing I need to be careful with is not shorting the laminated steel when I machine. care, compressed air, and a little clear nail polish should do the trick :D I'll tell you all how it goes :)

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
I fly remote control electric helicopters I had a extra brushless motor dont have many specs on motor excepts it runs on 24 volts and it can pull up to 60 amps
there are three wires anyway I hooked 2 leads hooked to a volt meter and hooked up to electric drill to spin it and at that speed it was putting out 2 volts ac so I wonder what it would put out at say 6000 rpm I am not sure of drill rpm but I dont think it close to 6000 rpm and its pretty small could hide it in q case and make a little pulley .. Any thoughts or more knowlege about this....
Flex...

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I'll let you know when they're ready. Just curious, what do you have in your shop? Any CNC machines, metal cutting bandsaw? There are a few holes that need to be precisely located (+/- .005") and tapped. The cover is made of 20g stainless. Do you have equipment for cutting it in strips and bending it?

Hi Abikerider
I think my Felt Slater would be a great test subject I would love one .....
Thanks Flex Man
Also I have a complete metal fabricating shop no milling equip..But everything
else...if I can help out it would be my pleasure.............

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Good luck, these laminated cores can be tricky to machine. I had to send mine to a waterjet cutter but my laminations are probably thinner. Have you figured out how to mount them? I'd love to see some pics of the progress.

Well guys, I bought a pair of suzuki lighting coils for 8 bucks each on ebay today. I have NO IDEA about the volts, watts, or amps on them, but I'll just have to test and see :) I am going to install both of them on my HF greyhound, wired in series and just machine down one end so it hugs the curve of the flywheel. Only thing I need to be careful with is not shorting the laminated steel when I machine. care, compressed air, and a little clear nail polish should do the trick :D I'll tell you all how it goes :)

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi A
No CNC stuff yes band saws that can cut metal and 2 drill presses lots of taps
welders tig and mig all air tools you get the idea..Mainly manual equip
low tech..I am old school but I am getting a milling machine just a small one to make one off parts not a production version. the problem with metal working equip..mills lathes sheet metal breaks shears english wheels planishing hammers there huge they take up a big foot print .I am retired working in my garage so I am limited by space ..and MONEY but I do alright..
Flex..
it would still be my pleasure to help get these out..also 20 g..is guage right..

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi A
If you have like a 4by8 sheet I could easly cut strips with my plasma cutter to your dimensions I can check with a friend to see if i can use there sheet metal break could bend your shape in a long section then cut widths or do it the other way around cut strips then bend..If you could send me detailed pics of what you want me to do exactly that would be great...or matbe I can give you some differnt ideas on how to go about it cheeper.call me if you want I emailed
you my phone#...Flex..

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hi Flex,
I can make the parts myself with what I have, just not automated. I have a bench vice, small drill press, taps, saber saw, tin snips, small hand brake and a table saw with 80 tooth blade that I use to cut the aluminum. It's a challenge to make very accurately but can be made accurately enough. I have no formal training in metal working but have played around with it. I don't weld but don't need to with this project. The only thing That's hard is cutting the sheet metal into useable strips with just hand shears. I'm looking into using either this from harbour freight 18 Gauge Sheet Metal Shear
or this
Throatless Shear
Do you have any advice on which would work best for cutting 1" x 12" strips of 20 guage stainless steel? I'm leaning toward the first one since it's powered and inexpensive but the throatless shear seems like it'd be easier to use.

Hi A
No CNC stuff yes band saws that can cut metal and 2 drill presses lots of taps
welders tig and mig all air tools you get the idea..Mainly manual equip
low tech..I am old school but I am getting a milling mchine just a small one to make one off parts not a production version. the problem with metal working equip..mills lathes sheet metal breaks shears english wheels planishing hammers there huge they take up a big foot print .I am retired working in my garage so I am limited by space ..and MONEY but I do alright..
Flex..
it would still be my pleasure to help get these out..also 20 g..is guage right..

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hi Flex,
That would be great once I started production but a little overkill for producing a few pieces for testing purposes. I've attached a pdf of the drawing just so you can see the dimensions. I think I've made as simple as I can. Recommendations for making it cheaper are always welcome.

Hi A
If you have like a 4by8 sheet I could easly cut strips with my plasma cutter to your dimensions I can check with a friend to see if i can use there sheet metal break could bend your shape in a long section then cut widths or do it the other way around cut strips then bend..If you could send me detailed pics of what you want me to do exactly that would be great...or matbe I can give you some differnt ideas on how to go about it cheeper.call me if you want I emailed
you my phone#...Flex..

Attachments

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi A
For what your doing throatless shear for sure for what your doing it will be pefrect ..the other shear not so great .you would have a hard time with stainless .Plus throatless you can cut a straight line much more easy...
Just my 2 cents .......Flex.........and bending. just buy a little sheet metal break your part is so small you should be able to find like a 18inch
break for a couple of hundred then youll be set up to make your brackets
with ease................