48cc grubee lost power

GoldenMotor.com

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
i have been riding this bike to and from work for the past few months and it was running great. well this morning about a mile into my commute it just started to loose power and when i came to a stop it wouldnt idle and just died. it started back up and has no low end power but a good top speed, the exhaust sounds like it has a extra note (dont know how else to explain it?) i was thinking a compression related problem? any ideas are welcome.....

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
i checked compression with the bike cruising along at 15 mph, i dupmped the clutch and it only went up to 25 psi. i assume that it should have 50psi or higher? i am thinking rings for sure now..... any ideas?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would check for a broke ring, one trick to remember is to raise the jug up slightly and stuff rags around the rod to keep broken ring parts from falling into the crankcase when you lift the jug off, I learned that the hard way.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Before you break into the engine look for gasket leaks at the base of the jug and the intake. pull the magneto cover and check for fuel, this indicates a blown seal behind the magneto. there is a seal behind the small gear on the clutch side also. If no leaks are found you can pull the head and lower the piston to the bottom and look for scratches or marks to indicate a broke ring, good luck.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
hey greg58, good advise i am sure going to put it on tdc and then stuff a rag or two around the rod to cover up the crank case. i know there arent any vacume leaks it has what i suspect is low compression even for one of these motors @25psi i am thinking it should be 50psi or more i have one at home that i can test for compression and compare but it will take a few days to break it in to get a good reading. i have ordered rings and gaskets to replace the ones that i think are broken. i will update as soon as i can.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
Found the problem and yes 25 psi crankng pressure is nfg! This must be from the little China man that put the wrist pin in, the one ear on the side clip broke off and gauged the piston, rings, and cylinder wall! Going to buy a 66cc jug piston rings head and Gasket plus the new wrist pin clips. I think the grubee 48&66cc lower ends are the same so why the f not go bigger?
Now if i can figure out how to get the pictures of the piston and jug from my galaxy s2 phone to this site that would be cool.

Last edited:

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
No! The bottom ends are not interchangeable! And try to get a warranty, if you got it on eBay then talk to the seller, if he don't cooperate then you can open a case with PayPal and that will light a fire under his @ss. I got gasbike.net to honor the warranty, but the # posted on the website doesn't work. It wont let you contact a real person, always says the office is closed and call back during open hours. I made a YouTube video about my problem and somebody told me they have the same problem and a # for a customer service rep. that actually answers the phone. Good luck

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As said above 48cc and 66cc are differant. Send your pics to your email then resize and post them, that what I do with my " dumb" phone.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Some of the wrist pin clips have only one ear, kinda looks like the letter " e " . one of my engines has those. Some people on this forum have found all kinds of debris that had been left in their engine at the factory. So something else may have caused it.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
i have sepnt a few thousand dollars with gasbikes.net/kingsmotorbikes and thats where i bought this engine from on april 9th. well i called continuously for over 45 minutes trying to get to the warranty department. first tihing is it is only open for 2 hours from 11am to 1 pm and when i finally got through to someone, a real stoner sounding moron, i tell him i bought this engine on the 9th and two days ago it lost almost all power and how the ear broke off the wrist pin retainer and his reply is you have to send the parts to us and we will see if it was your fault or not. ok? how is it my fault that the ear broke off a internal part of the engine? he says what mixture are you running, i said exactly what i have been running in all my bikies for the past two years which i have never had any internal problems with. he wants me to pay to ship the parts back to them and then wait for them to get back to me as to weather it is my fault, well yeah i am going to wait a few weeks for them to get around to looking at em only to say it is my fault some how? oh and this is the real kick in the ass i ask ok well whats the address to ship em to, he says its on the web site. ahh yeah and you cant just tell me why? what a jerk! i am never going to buy anything from them and i am going to make sure everyone i know in the business doesnt deal with them either.
sorry just had to vent, i am going to buy from piston bikes or pirate cycles from now on they are the nicest people and are cool to talk to. i just bought the piston gaskets jug rings and clips from them.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
Nope u can clearly sew where the ear broke off, and the clip on the other side has two ears. I ordered the top end from piston bikes, shipped was around $55. Can't beat that!

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Sorry to hear that. My whole bottom end was ruined, if it was the top I might have just bought one like you. I got mine back pretty quick, about 10 days. I explained the whole thing and they told me to ship it in and they gave me a new bottom end. Kinda annoying that I had to ship back the old one, when all they did was give me another. And it wasn't a grubee bottom end, it was a lower quality. Sick bike parts gave me a new throttle cable when the one in the HD throttle assembly was too short, they didn't make me send it in or anything. At least gasbike has a warranty that they honor, even if you have to pay shipping. EBay is much worse, they say sold as is and no warranty.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
yeah its crazy, why have a warranty if you don't plan on honoring it? i don't mind paying shipping and having to wait a few days if they are cool about it but having to call a number for 45 minutes over and over only to be hung up on four times and then having some jerk give u attitude and telling you its probably your fault and giving you some bs you didnt mix your oil/fuel right and then when you ask what the address is to ship it to and they say its on the site.... i am just going to stick to the two i mentioned earlier they are top notch in my book!

Asher

Feb 20, 2013
Melbourn
Yes broken rings if that are split shod still go till like my one a bit come off and now **** power got top end but no bottom power my rings where broken for 12 weeks and them when the bit brok off it ate my piston and jug wall change your rings and put more oil I put 35 ml to 1 liter top speed of 77.1 kmh

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes broken rings if that are split shod still go till like my one a bit come off and now **** power got top end but no bottom power my rings where broken for 12 weeks and them when the bit brok off it ate my piston and jug wall change your rings and put more oil I put 35 ml to 1 liter top speed of 77.1 kmh
adding too much oil is not going to help your ring they will get too much carbon build up which is no good for your engine and **** it just wastes oil and makes it run hotter and then you will b back to square one with your engine problems too much oil is not a good thing

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No, it doesn't "keep your motor cool". It lubricates it. Too much is as bad for your engine as too little. Too much oil is a great way to ruin your engine.

Try it.

BTW- what's motor bike oil?
Do you mean 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines?