420cc HF engine

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey there, slimey1' I have no experience with that motor (and it looks like no one else has either), but I looked it up, and it weighs 73 lbs which is very heavy if you use a bike frame. That motor makes it a motorcycle in most states. If I was planning on spending that kind of money and needing to register it, I would just pop for a Lifan 150 cycle engine as a few on this forum have. There's my 2 cents worth.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Way too much engine/weight for a bicycle frame. I'd strongly suggest you look for alternative power plants for a motorized bicycle. The reasons are too numerous to list.

Tom

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH
If i was going to build one,I was planning on using a frame from Silver State Cycles.
I've seen quite a few people using modified bicycle frames and powering them with 23hp B&S Vanguard V-twins. I'd think those are heavier than the 420cc Predator single.However,I do like the looks of either the HF 79cc or the Honda GC160.

I think most of the frames i've seen have been made from .120 wall tubing which is what most aftermarket motorcycle frames are made of...like the Paughco hardtail frame my 1977 Ironhead sportster has.

When my garage is finished being built,I can move my lathe/mill back in and I plan to made my own engine from the plans in that 1906 book Building A Motor Bicycle like one other forum member on here did.(cant remember who it was now lol.)

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
II m powering the WLA tribute build w/ sidecar with the 420 its got good power heavy torque and my build does 60+ and gets better then 100 mpg

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH
Yea,I really wanted to keep the engine size as close to the early 1900's Indians,Harleys,and Excelsiors as I can. Which was 30.5ci or 490cc. Plus the small China engines have a real "tinny" sound to them when they're idling,and I just cant get past that sound.

Thanks for answering RicksRides.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Yea,I really wanted to keep the engine size as close to the early 1900's Indians,Harleys,and Excelsiors as I can. Which was 30.5ci or 490cc. Plus the small China engines have a real "tinny" sound to them when they're idling,and I just cant get past that sound.

Thanks for answering RicksRides.
You can always do what im doing and modify an old 29c.i. gravely engine it takes some money and time but they have that period correct look and sound the right rpm range theyre a good match.

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH
Its not a good choice for a bicycle frame.
Remember...the original Boardtrackers used modified bicycle frames,and i've seen many 350lb+ persons riding bicycles and mass produced items are overbuilt for liability reasons so a bicycle rated for 300lbs is actually good for 400lbs. I weigh 195lbs add to that 74lbs for the 420cc engine and thats 269lbs.

I've seen girder front forks on old choppers made from plumbing pipe that had 100,000's of miles on them and were still usable.

I'd be using a frame from Pat or Silver State anyways which are made from 120 wall tubing which is the same tubing motorcycle frames are made from.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh

I've done it. Would I recommend it? No Way!.

It works just fine, however it is big and heavy. I would recommend using the hf 200cc engine, with a few upgrades you could make just as much power with half the size. However it does look very impressive in the frame and I do get lots of people who think it is a real vintage bike. This engine is best for a custom frame build but if you wanna do it I fully support you.

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH

I've done it. Would I recommend it? No Way!.

It works just fine, however it is big and heavy. I would recommend using the hf 200cc engine, with a few upgrades you could make just as much power with half the size. However it does look very impressive in the frame and I do get lots of people who think it is a real vintage bike. This engine is best for a custom frame build but if you wanna do it I fully support you.
That's beautiful !!! I couldnt find a HF 200cc...do you mean the 212cc? I'm looking for 50-60mph...50mph at least. Will a 212cc do 50mph?

Yes,it has to look right.
What model CVT did you use on your build?

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
The bike above has no cvt it is a direct drive system of my own design, however on my previous builds I have used Comet brand cvts (30 and 40/44 series).

To clarify When I built my 200cc bike HF did not offer the 212cc but it would easily do 50mph with the Comet 30 series. I took a look at the silver state bikes and I can tell you that you will never get the 420cc in that frame with out extending it 4-5 inches. That being said I think the 212cc will fit with just a few down tube modifications like I did to my first 200cc bike below.

Slimey1

Mar 10, 2014
Mt.Vernon,OH
The bike above has no cvt it is a direct drive system of my own design, however on my previous builds I have used Comet brand cvts (30 and 40/44 series).

To clarify When I built my 200cc bike HF did not offer the 212cc but it would easily do 50mph with the Comet 30 series. I took a look at the silver state bikes and I can tell you that you will never get the 420cc in that frame with out extending it 4-5 inches. That being said I think the 212cc will fit with just a few down tube modifications like I did to my first 200cc bike below.
Thank you.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I took a look at the silver state bikes and I can tell you that you will never get the 420cc in that frame with out extending it 4-5 inches.
And that would be an incorrect assumption.

I stopped by Silver State today, and decided to actually find out.

I took a 420 off the shelf in the engine library, and knocked the gas tank & muffler off of it. A production frame from the stack next to the TIG machine drops right over the 420:

Not saying it is the best idea, but it can be done. There is plenty of room for a 212 in that frame.