41 Chain Vs 415H Chain

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Today I made the switch from the stock 415H to #41 Chain. I kind of studied the "To change or not to change" question both here and a number of other places. There honestly wasn't much information on 41 chain here. So I will add to the library.

Of great importance to me was the strength question. 41 has a 400 lb higher tensile strength than 415H. I was surprised at this because the 41 plates are thinner and the pins are a smaller diameter. I'm a big boy and I need a strong chain.

41 chain is a bit wider than 415H. Maybe an eighth of an inch. This extra width keeps the chain from flexing sideways as much as the thinner chain. The extra width does not seem to get in the way of anything.

41 chain is available at about any farm supply store with master links and half links. I bought a 10 foot roll of it for $10. You can get two chains from the 10 foot piece.

So how's it work and feel on the bike? Like buttah! It could just be that I talked myself into this, but I think the chain makes my drive system more solid and definitely smoother.

The larger chain works very well with the 4G four stroke. Just thought I'd post this in case any of you four strokers were thinking about making the switch.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Well, thanks for the timely report! I just changed the rear sprocket that had a dish shape to one that was flat. With a Hoot gearbox chain alignment is critical for noise abatement. The only way to do that is to loosen the motor mount studs and move the engine around when it is running until it gets quiet I'm going to try the 41 chain, maybe it won't be so fussy.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Hope you like the 41 chain.

It seems to be more substantial than the stock one. A bunch of guys was involved in a big discussion of Hoot and the 5G tranny when I first came to the forum. It was because of that I looked hard for a 4G kit. That was an extremely timely thread for me. This place just seems to be that way.

I know you and Aleman have given me lots of help and support.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
some of the cheaper 41 chains you can buy at hardware stores are made in china, too.

the 2 stroke grubee gt4's came with a 41 chain and i snapped a bunch of them. bought a 41 from fastenal, made in china, and it snapped, too.

i think the chinese lie about the tensile strength, just like they lie about the 80cc's. (seriously, why is a 80cc actually a 66, but the 50 is still a 50? it's a conspiracy, i tells ya...)

i bought 2 10' foot Diamond 41 chains (usa made) off ebay, and i'm still running the same chain from 2 years ago.